Rim Rash Protection?

billvb

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Air GT
Hi all - I searched the forum and couldn't find any mention of Alloy Gators; is anybody installing any rim protection for their Airs with 20" and 21" rims? We have Alloy Gators on our Teslas and with the exception of a couple of slow leak incidents, we've been really pleased to have that layer of protection - especially with darker rims.

I have an Air GT with Stealth option on order, and after reading about the lack of auto-tilt function for the side mirrors and issues with the rear camera when shifting to reverse, I'm pretty sure I'd want to get these installed again on my Air when it arrives.

Thoughts?

Hi all - I searched the forum and couldn't find any mention of Alloy Gators; is anybody installing any rim protection for their Airs with 20" and 21" rims? We have Alloy Gators on our Teslas and with the exception of a couple of slow leak incidents, we've been really pleased to have that layer of protection - especially with darker rims.

I have an Air GT with Stealth option on order, and after reading about the lack of auto-tilt function for the side mirrors and issues with the rear camera when shifting to reverse, I'm pretty sure I'd want to get these installed again on my Air when it arrives.

Thoughts?
Pics, please?

Attachments

• AlloyGator.jpg
    AlloyGator.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 182
Here ya go!
Hmmmm. Do they come in silver? Also, has anyone had success just using the surround view camera to help eliminate the curb rash?

Hmmmm. Do they come in silver? Also, has anyone had success just using the surround view camera to help eliminate the curb rash?
So far, so good for me. I pop on the cameras whenever I am anywhere near a curb. But it only takes one moment of carlessness…

So far, so good for me. I pop on the cameras whenever I am anywhere near a curb. But it only takes one moment of carlessness…
Joe, do you find the surround view camera accurate meaning does the "objects are closer than they appear" apply to the camera?

Joe, do you find the surround view camera accurate meaning does the "objects are closer than they appear" apply to the camera?
Between the camera itself and the distance warnings, I feel like it's a tad on the 'overly cautious' side. Which is better than the alternative.

Help me out here. How does this work? I can't tell from the pic.

...Also, has anyone had success just using the surround view camera to help eliminate the curb rash?
I use the 360 cams and err on the side of caution about 6-12" away from the curb. Better a gap than paying $200 to have the rim refinished.

My brother gave me this as this is what he used on his Tesla, but really seems color mismatch to my 21” OEM.
5B986165-FF17-47DE-8CF2-12686F31501B.jpeg

Yes, they have silver as well as a bunch of other colors

Attachments

• GatorColors.jpg
    GatorColors.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 85
Help me out here. How does this work? I can't tell from the pic.
They stick out about 1/8th of an inch beyond the tire sidewalls, so they rub against the curb instead of your tire or rim. Also, especially with the black ones, any abrasions suffered are not all that noticeable.

Alloy Gators, according to one of their Youtube videos is not recommended for vehicles with a GVWR over 5500 lbs. If that is still the case, they do not recommend it on the Lucid which has a GVWR of 6,283 lbs.

At the 2:05 mark

Alloy Gators, according to one of their Youtube videos is not recommended for vehicles with a GVWR over 5500 lbs. If that is still the case, they do not recommend it on the Lucid which has a GVWR of 6,283 lbs.

At the 2:05 mark
Oh man, good catch CLTGT - I never considered the weight differential might make a difference.

I use the 360 cams and err on the side of caution about 6-12" away from the curb. Better a gap than paying $200 to have the rim refinished.
I paid $250 but still less than half of a new wheel. On a side note, I replaced my scratched 19” aero cover and it was a relative bargain at $30

Oh man, good catch CLTGT - I never considered the weight differential might make a difference.
Really curious - why would the weight make any difference whatsoever?

Probably with the way it is installed and held in place. It fits between the tire and the rim and is installed with the tires slightly deflated.

I’ve been really curious about these too. Any real world experience with the alloygator or any other rim protector for the lucid?

I’ve been really curious about these too. Any real world experience with the alloygator or any other rim protector for the lucid?
Hey Demosthenes - we used AlloyGators on our Teslas (S, X, & Y) and they've worked great - even if you rub the curb a little the damage is not as visible, and the cost to replace is minimal compared to a new rim.

HOWEVER... CLTGT notice and posted this back in January:

"Alloy Gators, according to one of their Youtube videos is not recommended for vehicles with a GVWR over 5500 lbs. If that is still the case, they do not recommend it on the Lucid which has a GVWR of 6,283 lbs."

The Air is definitely heavier than the Teslas we used AlloyGators on, and as such, we're going without on our Air GT. That said, the 360 view really obviates the concern for me quite a bit.

Hey Demosthenes - we used AlloyGators on our Teslas (S, X, & Y) and they've worked great - even if you rub the curb a little the damage is not as visible, and the cost to replace is minimal compared to a new rim.

HOWEVER... CLTGT notice and posted this back in January:

"Alloy Gators, according to one of their Youtube videos is not recommended for vehicles with a GVWR over 5500 lbs. If that is still the case, they do not recommend it on the Lucid which has a GVWR of 6,283 lbs."

The Air is definitely heavier than the Teslas we used AlloyGators on, and as such, we're going without on our Air GT. That said, the 360 view really obviates the concern for me quite a bit.
Thanks! Yeah I did see @CLTGT’s post. I refinish my rims and then they get immediately scratched again lol

Maybe there’s a rim protector that doesn’t have the weight limitation?

Back