Registration tags

Amster

Verified Owner
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
I pick up the car in the middle of December. I got the license plates two weeks ago. But I still have no sign of registration tags to put on them. How long does that normally take?

I pick up the car in the middle of December. I got the license plates two weeks ago. But I still have no sign of registration tags to put on them. How long does that normally take?
In California, the stickers are in the same envelope.

I paid for mine Dec 22, picked it up Jan 11 and shortly thereafter sent in the paperwork for my carpool lane stickers. I just got a rejection letter basically saying the car was not registered. I then when on the DMV website and discovered the same thing. Make you wonder if Lucid is cash flowing the company on the sale tax and registration fees it collected from us. Very un-professional and probably a violation of California law which generally requires registration within 10 days of change of ownership.

I paid for mine Dec 22, picked it up Jan 11 and shortly thereafter sent in the paperwork for my carpool lane stickers. I just got a rejection letter basically saying the car was not registered. I then when on the DMV website and discovered the same thing. Make you wonder if Lucid is cash flowing the company on the sale tax and registration fees it collected from us. Very un-professional and probably a violation of California law which generally requires registration within 10 days of change of ownership.
It takes time (a few weeks) to get your registration and permanent plates. The ones you got when you picked up the car were temporary. As far as I understand (I don't use hov), you can't apply for your hov sticker until you have your *permanent* plates. No need to smear Lucid over the state's rules...

Same thing happened to me when I tried using the temp registration license plate and my vin. Rejected because it was not registered to me. On Sat Feb 4th I received the title from DMV and it had the permanent lic plate number which I verified at the DMV site and again applied for the CAV certificate. I took delivery on the 30th of Dec. No license plate yet. It is how CA DMV works. They could have cross checked the vin before rejecting. Not the fault of Lucid I think.

It takes time (a few weeks) to get your registration and permanent plates. The ones you got when you picked up the car were temporary. As far as I understand (I don't use hov), you can't apply for your hov sticker until you have your *permanent* plates. No need to smear Lucid over the state's rules...
IF you buy a car at your local car dealer it is registered in your name almost instantly. The DMV has no record of me owning the car more than a month after I paid for it.

I got my plates about a month after paying for and picking up the car. I just didn't dig into the envelope to realize that the tags were there to put on the plate. So that was my goof, not DMV or Lucid. I think with the other cars we've purchased from dealerships, it's taken about a month to get the license plates too, so for California, i think that is normal.

No.

Get your permanent plates first then apply for HOV. The VIN is not always assigned to you right away. This is not a Lucid issue.

Huh, I’ve never heard of a state DMV being slow or difficult to work with or confusing. Lucid sucks. Who’s running that hack company? It should be no trouble at all to sell cars out of state to 49 other states which each have different DMV registration rules for out of state new vehicle sales and have everything happen within 30 days.

Last edited:
IF you buy a car at your local car dealer it is registered in your name almost instantly. The DMV has no record of me owning the car more than a month after I paid for it.
That’s… not true; and is entirely dependent on the state you’re in as well.

A majority of car dealerships take the hassle of registration out of your hands and they will complete the CA registration for you. The only thing you need to do is pay the registration fee at time of purchase, then sit and wait to receive your permanent registration certificate and the registration sticker in the mail. This fee is limited to, at most, $120 for all CA dealers. It is a win/win for both parties because it lessens the risk for the dealer and increases the ease of transaction and satisfaction for the customer.

The dealership should provide you with a temporary operating plate (TOP) which is valid for 6 months or until your registration is done processing, whichever date comes first. If you do not come across a dealership that will not process your registration for you, you will need to register your vehicle in person within 10 days of purchase.

And in case you feel like reading details from the California Vehicle Code:
Dealerships are required to submit to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) an application for registration or transfer of registration for vehicles they have sold under specific timelines. The timeline depends on whether the vehicle is sold new or used. In California, a dealership has 20 days after the sale of a new car to submit an application for registration. If the vehicle is used, the dealership has 30 days from the date of the sale to submit the application, which must be accompanied by all fees and penalties due for registration or transfer of registration. Penalties due for noncompliance are to be paid by the dealership, and the dealership cannot charge the purchaser for the penalties. Cal. Veh. Code §4456 (a)(2).
If the DMV returns an application for registration and the application was first received by the DMV within 20 days of the date of sale of a new vehicle, the dealer must submit a corrected application within 40 days from the date of sale of the vehicle or 20 days from the date that the application is first returned by the DMV, whichever is later. If the vehicle is used and the application was first received by the DMV within 30 days of the date of sale of the vehicle, then the dealer must submit a corrected application within 50 days from the date of sale or within 30 days from the date that the application is first returned, whichever is later. Cal. Veh. Code §4456(a)(4). This means that the maximum time between the date of sale and the receipt of registration should be approximately 40 days for a new vehicle and 60 days for a used vehicle.
If an application is received by the DMV more than 40 days after the sale of a new vehicle, the dealer must pay the DMV a service fee of $25 for each violation. The same penalty applies if an application is first received by the DMV more than 50 days after the sale of a used vehicle. Cal. Veh. Code § 4456.1(b).

Texas here. I went to the tax office in Dallas to register. Had to take proof of vehicle inspection and a few papers that Lucid sent to me via fedex. I went up to the counter, paid the sales tax on the vehicle and was handed plates and a registration sticker. Did this less than 2 weeks after receiving the car. I actually left my paper plates on my car for an additional 5 weeks because I just wanted to have paper plates for a minute haha.

Texas here. I went to the tax office in Dallas to register. Had to take proof of vehicle inspection and a few papers that Lucid sent to me via fedex. I went up to the counter, paid the sales tax on the vehicle and was handed plates and a registration sticker. Did this less than 2 weeks after receiving the car. I actually left my paper plates on my car for an additional 5 weeks because I just wanted to have paper plates for a minute haha.
Mine waited 3 months in Texas, but I’m cool with that. I was putting on “TSLA 2.0” vanity plate as contraband.

Back