Regenerative Braking Algorithm

Bcovill

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Does anyone know the algorithm that Lucid uses to determine when the brake lights go on while regenerative braking? Do the brake lights go on as soon as you start to lift your foot off the pedal, or do they go on only when your foot is all the way off the pedal, or somewhere in between? I'm trying to figure out if my brake light go on frequently in normal single-pedal driving.

On a Volvo, brake lights come on at 0.1g regen deceleration.

Does anyone know the algorithm that Lucid uses to determine when the brake lights go on while regenerative braking? Do the brake lights go on as soon as you start to lift your foot off the pedal, or do they go on only when your foot is all the way off the pedal, or somewhere in between? I'm trying to figure out if my brake light go on frequently in normal single-pedal driving.
My guess is it'll have less to do with the pedal than the deceleration. The two are related, but basically, if the car is slowing down by x, the brake lights come on. Not sure what that amount is. Probably similar to @deane's Volvo. I wouldn't be surprised if this were regulated by NHTSA.

I asked a Lucid rep this same question and they went back and forth, clearly unsure.. I think having someone stand on the side of the street and telling you (or anyone else that wants to try) is the only answer ill believe.

Page 81 owners manual Note: If regenerative braking is aggressively slowing your vehicle (such as when your foot is completely off the accelerator pedal at highway speeds), the brake lights turn on to alert others

I actually watched what happened in the reflection of another vehicle I thought was following too closely. It turned out that, under the particular driving circumstances, the brake lights did not go on until I was about 10' from stopping. I personally think they come on too late, but my testing was pretty limited.

I actually watched what happened in the reflection of another vehicle I thought was following too closely. It turned out that, under the particular driving circumstances, the brake lights did not go on until I was about 10' from stopping. I personally think they come on too late, but my testing was pretty limited.
How fast were you driving when you began to slow for the stop?

For what its worth, and definitely not scientific, one day my wife was following me while I was driving our LUCID, and afterward asked if I used the brake directly. When I commented that I hadn't, she remarked that seemed like it, as the brake lights lit up every time I slowed or came to a stop. I can't recall looking back on it if we had also done some highway driving, but I think it was likely.

How fast were you driving when you began to slow for the stop?
Anywhere from 50 down to 35 or so when I took my foot off the pedal. I also do not have it in the strongest regen mode. So there are quite a few factors at play. I also might just be hyper-sensitive about how close people are to my 'new" toy.

Back