Rear view mirror

Am I crazy or is the view from the rear view mirror compressing the images?
It does because of the rear window curvature at the top

yes. It's a bit disconcerting at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

It does because of the rear window curvature at the top
We noticed this on our most recent trip (lots of time on I95)... the wif reports "looking straight out of the rear window doesn't do it though... I guess it is the combination of the mirror and the window"... I'm not enough of an optics person to grok if this makes sense (observed in the mirror, but not when looking directly through the window)... does this make sense (in terms of the physics)?

I've always wondered why it's not a screen, there is a video camera at the top of the back window facing rearward.

I've always wondered why it's not a screen, there is a video camera at the top of the back window facing rearward.
GM is putting combination regular and camera mirrors in several models. They work great.

I use a screen mirror in race car. Even with the distortion, I like the mirror vs a screen in the Lucid.

I use a screen mirror in race car. Even with the distortion, I like the mirror vs a screen in the Lucid.
With the GM combination mirrors, you can have your choice.

C8 Corvette Coupe has combination mirrors. I really liked the camera view. Although it took some time to get used to it. The ability to change viewing angle is great. Of course in the Corvette coupe,, having to look rearward through two windows in mirror mode makes the camera view almost a necessity.

Not the perfect thread for this question but ...
I was evaluating the best placement for my EZPass transponder when I noticed a gap between the windshield and the sensor pod cover behind the rearview mirror in my GT. I took notice because the gap is significantly wider at the front of the cover. It looks as if its just a matter of snapping it up onto internal clips (that I cannot see) but I don't want to try that without knowing for sure that it is not already fully seated. Has anyone else observed this gap? This may be entirely normal and expected fitment- I'd just like to make sure. See photo. Thanks
IMG_4351.JPG

Last edited:
Not the perfect thread for this question but ...
I was evaluating the best placement for my EZPass transponder when I noticed a gap between the windshield and the sensor pod cover behind the rearview mirror in my GT. I took notice because the gap is significantly wider at the front of the cover. It looks as if its just a matter of snapping it up onto internal clips (that I cannot see) but I don't want to try that without knowing for sure that it is not already fully seated. Has anyone else observed this gap? This may be entirely normal and expected fitment- I'd just like to make sure. See photo. ThanksView attachment 8150
I would just try snapping it back on. If it doesn’t work, service can replace it for you.

GM is putting combination regular and camera mirrors in several models. They work great.
Yes, I experienced the camera mirror for the first time when I test drove the Lyriq. It took a little getting used to as I have my contact lens prescription set up for monovision. That means one eye’s contact is tuned for reading while the other is set for distance. Of course, the distance prescription is in my right eye so that makes looking at the mirror a little more difficult as I have to purposely look with my left eye as well to get a clearer image. It wasn’t too hard to adjust you. And I definitely agree. LUCID should have put a camera mirror in the vehicle. The backseat headrests really get in the way of viewing what’s behind you!

Yes, I experienced the camera mirror for the first time when I test drove the Lyriq. It took a little getting used to as I have my contact lens prescription set up for monovision. That means one eye’s contact is tuned for reading while the other is set for distance. Of course, the distance prescription is in my right eye so that makes looking at the mirror a little more difficult as I have to purposely look with my left eye as well to get a clearer image. It wasn’t too hard to adjust you. And I definitely agree. LUCID should have put a camera mirror in the vehicle. The backseat headrests really get in the way of viewing what’s behind you!
I have the same issue with my vision!

Back