RESOLVED Rear quarter panel buckles

xwave

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Model 3, Y
My AT delivered on 3/31.2023.
I noticed buckles on the top of right rear quarter panel, and thought someone punched or kicked the panel.
However, I couldn’t find the impact point from the out side.
What do you guys think?
Any chance from the manufacturing process?
IMG_8209.jpeg
IMG_8211.jpeg
IMG_8212.jpeg

Looks like someone hit it. Was it like that when delivered?

Looks like someone hit it. Was it like that when delivered?
I haven’t noticed until yesterday. It doesn’t very noticeable without reflection.

I feel like somebody hit it around here
The damages are not that noticeable in normal daylight.
Also, the quarter jamb seems like pushed in. It is very strange buckles.
IMG_7606(1).JPG
IMG_7608(1).JPG
IMG_7609(1).JPG

Bummer. "Hit and Run" happened. You will get dinged if you file a claim with insurance but you should.

The damages are not that noticeable in normal daylight.
Also, the quarter jamb seems like pushed in. It is very strange buckles.
View attachment 12224View attachment 12225View attachment 12226
It’s a very odd place for that indentation to occur with the car door closed and no other visible damage. I’m wondering if it’s possible that someone used a rubber mallet when adjusting the rear quarter panel to address alignment issues prior to delivery and you’re just noticing this now.

It’s a very odd place for that indentation to occur with the car door closed and no other visible damage. I’m wondering if it’s possible that someone used a rubber mallet when adjusting the rear quarter panel to address alignment issues prior to delivery and you’re just noticing this now.
Maybe someone leaned against it for a photo and left a dent?

I think jsf1993 could be right, it looks like a possible impact on the edge that pushed the metal rearward, causing both wrinkles where the metal was firmly attached to the underlying structure along the top under the trim. /shrug

I found a photo when I pick up the vehicle. The line where the reflection cut matches the buckle location. I wish I have a better photo at that time.
What do you think?
IMG_7392.jpg
IMG_7392In.JPG
IMG_8211.jpeg

I found a photo when I pick up the vehicle. The line where the reflection cut matches the buckle location. I wish I have a better photo at that time.
What do you think?View attachment 12379View attachment 12380View attachment 12381
Try to see if you can replicate the lighting conditions and camera angle shot. It's going to be a hard one to prove as this looks obvious when standing close to the car.

It may end up being an insurance claim as HariK said. Hard to tell with the delivery photo.

Try to see if you can replicate the lighting conditions and camera angle shot. It's going to be a hard one to prove as this looks obvious when standing close to the car.

It may end up being an insurance claim as HariK said. Hard to tell with the delivery photo.
Yes, I did, and it came out pretty similar. I made a service appointment, but not much hope that They will cover tough.
IMG_8348.JPG

Oh, by the way, the damage doesn't look obvious even if you see it close to the car. I used a flashlight when I took the photos. I can see the buckle with sudden angle and lighting.
IMG_8383.jpg

Maybe a Paintless dent removal guy can fix it for a low cost?
My comprehensive deductible is only $250. I am just curious about what happened to the car since I run a Tesla Approved Collision Center and also work as an estimator for 17 years.
The panel looks twisted, and never seen this type of damage, especially new vehicle

Update
I went to Lucid Costa Mesa SC to share the quarter buckle issue, but I did not expect that Lucid will repair the panel damage.
Surprisingly, SA offered me PDR service.
A week later, a PDR tech came to my work and he did great job. He took care of about 80% of the damage.
I can barely see it with naked eye now.
I am very happy with the result.
Thank you Lucid!

Before
IMG_8211.jpeg

After
IMG_7910.jpeg

Back