Rear Motor Unit Overheating

Northwest Mike

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to this forum and appreciate everyone's effort to build up knowledge and awareness of such an impressive EV.

I picked up my AGT at the end of September. Very happy with the driving performance, fit/finish, and design. The software user interface could use a lot of improvement, but this is well-known.

Three days after delivery, I drove it to a satellite office about 75 miles from my house. Incredible drive on the highway. No issues. Unfortunately, when I got to the office, a warning message came on. It said "Battery System Fault" and that the car would power down within 5 minutes! No "turtle mode." Fortunately, I made it to my office parking lot without incident.

I spoke to Lucid promptly. They arranged for the car to be towed to their service center in Seattle. After several days of testing, they said the rear drive unit "overheated" and required replacement! Apparently, the battery is OK despite the initial warning message. They ordered the rear drive unit and shipped it from Arizona. They kept my car for 2 weeks (mostly due to diagnostics and then waiting for the part). I was offered a rental car but I declined. The RMU was replaced. The car was then delivered directly to my home.

It's been 3+ weeks and >1000 miles since this event. So far so good. I'm aware of others with RDU replacements, but none with the "Battery System Fault" warning. Wanted to share this experience and compare notes.

Wanted to give a shout-out to the team at the Lucid Service Center in Seattle. Christina, Joshua, and the Seattle service team were great and made me feel confident about the company.

Back