Quick thought about RWD Pure

Mr_rhythm

Was reading reviews of the BMW I4 RWD (4 series is only car I’m really considering outside of the Lucid) and they brought up an interesting point. It said that with only one motor, one pedal driving wasn’t really an option, as there wasn’t enough regen to slow the car down fully. Hadn’t thought about that till reading that snippet. One pedal is something I’m super excited about which makes me lean back toward awd vs rwd.

I thought about the I4 but backed off because it is so ugly, is really a 4 series conversion. etc. I found a Genesis GV60 Performance that has AWD, EDiff, 429 HP (489 in boost mode), etc. It is much smaller than a Lucid (only 177.4 inches long but I prefer a smaller car) or the I4 but the interior space is large. I have always liked BMWs and have been driving one for years (most recently a 2018 530e which I traded in on the Genesis on Monday) but this one touched almost all my preferred points: performance, size and luxury.

If I went 4 series I’m primarily looking ICE at the 440i Gran Coupé X drive. For the I4, I wouldn’t be interested in the M50 because of the range, and they don’t have a lesser powered awd electric.

Was reading reviews of the BMW I4 RWD (4 series is only car I’m really considering outside of the Lucid) and they brought up an interesting point. It said that with only one motor, one pedal driving wasn’t really an option, as there wasn’t enough regen to slow the car down fully. Hadn’t thought about that till reading that snippet. One pedal is something I’m super excited about which makes me lean back toward awd vs rwd.
More fake news as this is absolutely, totally, 100% untrue. Apparently these reviewers don’t understand or aren’t aware of ‘B mode’. B mode absolutely allows one pedal driving and does so beautifully. How do I know? I own the i4 RWD and use B mode almost exclusively. I almost never hit the brake pedal and the car comes to a complete stop by simply easing off from the go pedal as other EVs with one pedal driving do. In fact I occasionally force myself to use the brake pedal simply to ensure there’s no rust buildup from lack of use.

In the i4 you can also use ‘Adaptive’ mode where the car determines how much regen to use as you come to a stop. I don’t use that mode but many owners do.

I thought about the I4 but backed off because it is so ugly, is really a 4 series conversion. etc. I found a Genesis GV60 Performance that has AWD, EDiff, 429 HP (489 in boost mode), etc. It is much smaller than a Lucid (only 177.4 inches long but I prefer a smaller car) or the I4 but the interior space is large. I have always liked BMWs and have been driving one for years (most recently a 2018 530e which I traded in on the Genesis on Monday) but this one touched almost all my preferred points: performance, size and luxury.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. ;)

I find the car very nicely styled and get frequent compliments on its looks. I’m actually surprised by how many compliment the grill since it’s supposedly so controversial. All in all it’s been a fantastic car and my best EV by far (previous MS, i-Pace, e-Tron Sportback). I actually prefer the looks of the EV6 to the GV60, but they’re both fine.

I’ve discovered after owning the i-Pace and e-Tron I’m not an SUV guy. My wife says I’m a slow learner and should have realized that after the I-Pace. 😆

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. ;)

I find the car very nicely styled and get frequent compliments on its looks. I’m actually surprised by how many compliment the grill since it’s supposedly so controversial. All in all it’s been a fantastic car and my best EV by far (previous MS, i-Pace, e-Tron Sportback). I actually prefer the looks of the EV6 to the GV60, but they’re both fine.

I’ve discovered after owning the i-Pace and e-Tron I’m not an SUV guy. My wife says I’m a slow learner and should have realized that after the I-Pace. 😆
You are 100% correct about beauty. Each of us must form our own opinion.

You are 100% correct about beauty. Each of us must form our own opinion.
No, I'm right. :p

(Yeah, I hate the look of the ID.4, but I can see why people would like it; now the EQS.... haha jk)

It actually took me a bit to get used to the two-tone look of the lucid because it was so unusual, but I've decided I like it. If the Stealth package had existed when I bought my dream, I most likely would have gone with that.

I am so happy there are so many options for EVs nowadays that people can choose what they like.

My Model 3 is RWD and I use one pedal with it, the older Model S cars are the same even though that motor was inductive while M3 is permanent magnet.

It doesn’t really pass the sniff test when you think about it. Why does the number of motors matter for regenerative braking? That’s between the brakes and the battery, not the motor.

It doesn’t really pass the sniff test when you think about it. Why does the number of motors matter for regenerative braking? That’s between the brakes and the battery, not the motor.
If you are on the edge of traction, which will rarely be the case, you would get less regen with RWD only versus AWD.

While you’re right that it’s incorrect, it’s important to note that regenerative braking doesn’t use the actual brakes; it uses the motors to stop.

There is a lot of discussion about whether one pedal driving is really a good thing in non Tesla BEVs. Here is an interesting article:

There is a lot of discussion about whether one pedal driving is really a good thing in non Tesla BEVs. Here is an interesting article:

I didn’t get from that article that one-pedal driving is bad. Just that it may not be any more efficient in a car that combines regen with hydraulics when you hit the brake pedal, as with the Taycan.

Not sure how the Air handles this. Anyone know if you still get regen when pressing the brake pedal?

I didn’t get from that article that one-pedal driving is bad. Just that it may not be any more efficient in a car that combines regen with hydraulics when you hit the brake pedal, as with the Taycan.

Not sure how the Air handles this. Anyone know if you still get regen when pressing the brake pedal?
I did a test run yesterday on my GV60 with regen set to lowest (position 1). I drove the same way I normally drive...without caring about efficiency. It was a short trip slightly downhill on the way and, of course, slightly uphill on the way back. I seemed to be getting better efficiency that way than with one pedal driving. I am taking a longer trip today and will test it some more and will let you all know if I continue to do better.

Then some here with a Lucid can do a similar test (take a normal trip with one pedal driving; then the same trip with lowest regen setting and most coasting). It could be that Tesla has led us down a blind alley because of the way Teslas' are set up.

Back