Quick question about having someone else drive the car.

nautchilous

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Ok…So I am couple days in owning this car and I am still learning new things daily. So when I took delivery , my DA setup my profile and programmed 1 key fob, mobile key and 1 valet key. He also setup the facial recognition feature to my profile. I am taking the family out for dinner this evening and plan to get the vehicle valet parked…I am kinda old school and still walk with the keyfob even though my cellphone will start the car and get me on my way.. can I just give the valet guy the fob and let him park the car or do I have to give him the valet card? It’s seems so complicated to use the valet card😊….Will the car work for the valet service guy with just the fob? Is there anything special I have to do Once i give them the fob?

Ok…So I am couple days in owning this car and I am still learning new things daily. So when I took delivery , my DA setup my profile and programmed 1 key fob, mobile key and 1 valet key. He also setup the facial recognition feature to my profile. I am taking the family out for dinner this evening and plan to get the vehicle valet parked…I am kinda old school and still walk with the keyfob even though my cellphone will start the car and get me on my way.. can I just give the valet guy the fob and let him park the car or do I have to give him the valet card? It’s seems so complicated to use the valet card😊….Will the car work for the valet service guy with just the fob? Is there anything special I have to do Once i give them the fob?
You can just give the guy your fob. Nothing special to do.

So what’s the purpose of setting up the facial recognition setup at delivery 🤔
Facial recognition is not about authorizing you to drive the car. It’s about recognizing you so it can reset your preferences when switching between profiles.

I’m quite certain, given the set up process, that the recognition it does would be nowhere secure enough to determine who gets to drive and who doesn’t. It’s a simple camera pass. No IR. Nothing anywhere near as secure as, say, FaceID on the iPhone.

On the flip side, if it were that secure, we could eliminate the need for a fob or phone altogether and just let our faces be the key to our car. You’d need a similar sensor array on the doors to allow entry as well. But that would be pretty amazing.

Has anyone had an issue controlling the window shade from the drivers window control? I can only lower and raise the back passenger side shade but not the one directly behind me.

Has anyone had an issue controlling the window shade from the drivers window control? I can only lower and raise the back passenger side shade but not the one directly behind me.
Mine work fine. I wish there were some visual indication somewhere that the shade was up or down, though. Hard to tell with that window while you are driving. And the shade is so quiet, I can’t really hear it going up or down while the car is moving.

Mine work fine. I wish there were some visual indication somewhere that the shade was up or down, though. Hard to tell with that window while you are driving. And the shade is so quiet, I can’t really hear it going up or down while the car is moving.
Yeah, if only the shades rattled when up, you'd know ...

Does your window on the driver side work?

Does your window on the driver side work?
Yes, I just took delivery Friday the 17th and all shades worked fine. I can control all windows with no issues. It’s just the shade on the back drivers side.

On the flip side, if it were that secure, we could eliminate the need for a fob or phone altogether and just let our faces be the key to our car. You’d need a similar sensor array on the doors to allow entry as well. But that would be pretty amazing.

Before moving to this level of technology, I'd prefer first to be amazed by the key fobs in our Lucid and our Tesla working consistently.

Before moving to this level of technology, I'd prefer first to be amazed by the key fobs in our Lucid and our Tesla working consistently.
Agreed. I'm just picturing if Apple were to actually release a car (which I'm still not convinced they will) that's how they would do the unlocking. Just use the exact same tech they use for FaceID.

My first couple of post-delivery posts were all about me not understanding the key fob. I made a pest of myself because it was all new = i had no experience with a non-intuitive remote...as if the Lucid was an alien craft that I had to puzzle-out with no understanding of the language and culture. I was admonished to read the owner's manual (embarrassed because I used to be that guy).

best way to read about your car:

Wait until everyone has gone to bed. Get in the car and turn on the heated seat (it was 2am and way below freezing when I went into the garage to do this). Chill. Turn on the audio. Find some classic jazz. Chill. Open the owner's manual on the pilot screen. Wow...you can scroll through the manual and fiddle with the settings at the same time. You should try this ... it's kinda fun. (I was pretty high at the time).

I came here to say about the key fob: If the battery is dead it does *not work just like the key card.

from the printed owner's manual, p 11, top right: " If the key fob battery is depleted, you can still unlock the car by holding it near the driver's side center pillar (similar to the valet card)."

from the manual p 12 :
Dead key fob battery:
Even if the key fob battery has died, it is possible to access the car. Press the door handle to lock or unlock the car, then hold the key fob against the driver's side center pillar under the camera area to perform a lock / unlock action. "

Here is what happens when I follow instructions in manual: with no battery in fob. car is locked and asleep. press driver door handle in. hold fob under camera. motor noise, light flash, clicking behind door handle. pushing in with long hold, handle will present after some clicking but will not unlatch or open door. anyone else confirm this for me ? (see owner's manual p 11-12)

update: just went out to try it again. press door handle and pump noise / light flash. hold dead key bob under camera and hold door handle in ... after 5 seconds or more, lights come on and mirrors fold out, can get in car now. Key is to hold door handle in until it unlocks. success ! this is something you should practice. I'm not exactly sure what I did that made it work this time ???

Last edited:
update: just went out to try it again. press door handle and pump noise / light flash. hold dead key bob under camera and hold door handle in ... after 5 seconds or more, lights come on and mirrors fold out, can get in car now. Key is to hold door handle in until it unlocks. success ! this is something you should practice. I'm not exactly sure what I did that made it work this time ???
Interesting. For me, mobile key not working appears to correlate with the car being asleep. So I'd guess pushing and holding a door handle in must force the car to wake up enough to listen for a key. Will try this next time mobile key doesn't work.

When I took delivery they explained that the valet card does not load your profile, so the valet will not have access to your navigation settings (home and work address, recent destinations). Seems like more of an anti stalking feature.

I think it should also limit speed/acceleration and geofence the car.

I have valeted our Air frequently and just handed over the key fob with ne'er a problem. A lot of places leave the "fancy" cars -- which they deem Lucids to be -- right at the valet station in order to make the venue look more tony. The rest usually park the car in an adjacent lot or garage, so there's not much opportunity to speed. If I were worried, I'd just open the Lucid app to track the car's location.

I think the bigger risk is leaving the car at something like a tire center or car detailer. When I've taken my Audi R8s and performance Teslas to Tire Choice for tire replacements, they've always needed to "road test" the cars afterward to be sure everything was right about the installation. Oddly, they've never felt the same need when they've changed the tires on my Honda Odysseys.

Agreed. I'm just picturing if Apple were to actually release a car (which I'm still not convinced they will) that's how they would do the unlocking. Just use the exact same tech they use for FaceID.

My GV-60 has the exterior face recognition. Lets you unlock the car.

Then, once inside, there's a fingerprint reader that lets you start the car & drive it.

Back