Pure and Touring Ranges

Nice. I’ll take 425. More than a hundred miles further than my long range AWD Model 3.

Dear Santa, please please please can I get my Pure this year so I can definitely get the tex credit?

Unlikely, I know :D

You can't even compare those two:

Model 3 = $50k base
Touring = $107k base
I can, because that’s what I’m currently driving.

My point is that I will be able to go about 100 miles further than I currently can. And I’m happy about that.

Why the heck are so many people on this site hellbent on being killjoys? It’s like you’re personally invested in making other people miserable. What possible benefit do you folks derive from this?

That was not my intension at all (being a killjoy). I just read/interpreted your reply differently I guess, sorry. I am actually a Lucid fan and am considering replacing my MSLR-refreshed with an AT. Now that a Dallas studio has opened in Plano, TX I plan to test drive one soon. My MS ride is way too stiff and uncomfortable for me (and my wife, rear passengers).

That was not my intension at all (being a killjoy). I just read/interpreted your reply differently I guess, sorry. I am actually a Lucid fan and am considering replacing my MSLR-refreshed with an AT. Now that a Dallas studio has opened in Plano, TX I plan to test drive one soon. My MS ride is way too stiff and uncomfortable for me (and my wife, rear passengers).
No hard feelings. I’m just a bit over-sensitive today.

I agree, the two cars are in a completely different price class. But even compared to Model S, which is closer in price, Touring’s range is impressive.

I can, because that’s what I’m currently driving.

My point is that I will be able to go about 100 miles further than I currently can. And I’m happy about that.

Why the heck are so many people on this site hellbent on being killjoys? It’s like you’re personally invested in making other people miserable. What possible benefit do you folks derive from this?
Great question. Jealousy and folks just being miserable.

Yes, 425 is impressing but keep in mind my MS says it can get 405 on paper but it only charges to 380 and gets way less than that in all reality. I wish there was more of a standard auto manufactures had to follow. It's confusing IMO.

IMG_7590.jpg

Yes, 425 is impressing but keep in mind my MS says it can get 405 on paper but it only charges to 380 and gets way less than that in all reality. I wish there was more of a standard auto manufactures had to follow. It's confusing IMO.

View attachment 6709
There is a standard..... it's called the EPA. No one just gets to make up numbers to marketing purposes \ bragging rights

There is a standard..... it's called the EPA. No one just gets to make up numbers to marketing purposes \ bragging rights
Yes. And while neither car will get the full EPA numbers most of the time, you can at least be assured both cars were tested the same way (since Lucid and Tesla use the same approved method), and thus Touring will consistently get better range than Model S.

Yes, I know there is a standard. I guess I worded that incorrectly. My point was (and to illustrate if further), I am on my 2nd Tesla and both times the number they publish are not what you get (425 in this case).

Yes, 425 is impressing but keep in mind my MS says it can get 405 on paper but it only charges to 380 and gets way less than that in all reality. I wish there was more of a standard auto manufactures had to follow. It's confusing IMO

Interesting, as my refresh Model S charges to 402 at 100% and have owned it almost a year now.

Wait the dallas studio is OPEN? Are you serious?

Yes. And while neither car will get the full EPA numbers most of the time, you can at least be assured both cars were tested the same way (since Lucid and Tesla use the same approved method), and thus Touring will consistently get better range than Model S.
Why will the Touring consistently get better range, when it is only 23 more miles of range than refresh Model S. Just curious since would be moving from refresh Model S to Touring.

Why will the Touring consistently get better range, when it is only 23 more miles of range than refresh Model S. Just curious since would be moving from refresh Model S to Touring.
Different cars have different levels of efficiency on using batteries. The Lucid does better.

My working assumption is that if I am lucky, I will get 75% of EPA range on whatever car I have. So your experience is just about right on. As you note, if you hypermile you can do better but buy an econo box EV if you are going to hypermile. But this reduction applies to all cars. So if a car has an EPA range of 300 miles, I expect to get 225.

Different cars have different levels of efficiency on using batteries. The Lucid does better.

My working assumption is that if I am lucky, I will get 75% of EPA range on whatever car I have. So your experience is just about right on. As you note, if you hypermile you can do better but buy an econo box EV if you are going to hypermile. But this reduction applies to all cars. So if a car has an EPA range of 300 miles, I expect to get 225.
Makes sense. So, we know for sure Lucid range estimates will be consistently better than a Model S, as I don’t think I have really read that. On an EV, I expect to get 75% range of what is stated, but on my BMW’s I always have gotten better range than stated, as I do mostly freeway driveway.

The comment above said consistently better range than the refresh Model S. I don’t consider 23 more miles consistently better range, it is better, but maybe that poster does. I was just curious if there was something else I was not considering in predicted range of Lucid Air Touring compared to refresh Model S. Will still take the extra 23 EPA miles though! Thanks! :)

Makes sense. So, we know for sure Lucid range estimates will be consistently better than a Model S, as I don’t think I have really read that. On an EV, I expect to get 75% range of what is stated, but on my BMW’s I always have gotten better range than stated, as I do mostly freeway driveway.

The comment above said consistently better range than the refresh Model S. I don’t consider 23 more miles consistently better range, it is better, but maybe that poster does. I was just curious if there was something else I was not considering in predicted range of Lucid Air Touring compared to refresh Model S. Will still take the extra 23 EPA miles though! Thanks! :)
There are two different EV range tests the EPA considers acceptable. Tesla and Lucid use the same one. BMW uses the other one. The BMW test is cheaper to perform, but generally gets worse results. So there’s a bit more of a fudge factor. Thus, folks often get better mileage than cars using that test suggest. Same is true for Mercedes, Porsche, and most of the others.

Tesla and Lucid get consistently lower results in the real world than their stated range. You can get those cars to make their mileage claims with some very careful conditions and driving styles. But most “normal” driving will net you lower results than the claim. But because the tests are identical, the amount lower should be roughly the same for both cars.

So take the EPA, figure on 70-75%, and you are good to go. Unless you drive perfectly, in which case you will be pleasantly surprised.

Even with the disparities between the tests, Tesla and Lucid will out range just about any other EV on the market in the real world.

425 is higher than 405. (The stated range of the refresh Model S.) Not sure why 20 miles more would somehow render my statement of “better range” inaccurate. Unless they’ve reinvented math again.

I completely understand range anxiety and that people were upset when their EV doesn’t go the expected range.

But I never trusted my ICE car either. My Audi Q7 says 580 miles on a tank of gas. I assume I’ll get about 70-75% of that too.

Back