Privacy Issues...

I just saw this:

I am wondering what, if anything Lucid is saying. I know they are not included in the study.

What do we think?

This, folks, is why GM and other companies want to stop offering CarPlay and Android Auto in their vehicles. They want your data. Plain and simple. Don't fall for it.

I have no idea what Lucid's take is on this. But given I use CarPlay for everything except climate and seat controls, I'm fairly confident Lucid isn't getting all that much data from me, anyway.

On the one hand, I get why companies like Lucid need to collect data about the car. It really does help them improve functionality over time. And especially when it comes to training ADAS systems, there's simply no other way to train those AI models.

But far too many of these companies take the data they originally started collecting for actual improvements and start finding more and more justifications for using it to make money. It's terrible.

Again, no idea where Lucid stands on this. Likely they are far too busy worrying about fixing bugs right now to be deep into the data-selling business. But that's just a guess.

Worth noting: You can opt out of sending data to Lucid in settings. Not sure if that stops "all" data collection, but it should stop some of it, at least. If you are concerned.

To me, it's kind of a given. If you're uploading data anywhere, which of course Lucid is doing, you do not have any data privacy. If you want privacy about where you're driving or how fast, you have to get an old car with no computer on board. Just like if you're concerned about personal privacy, stay off the internet. It's tough to do these days, but there's really no other way.

I dont know about our personal details, but based on members who have had their cars repaired by Lucid, they collect a LOT of data about the car. This is a VERY good thing, as they use it to improve the car and see what went wrong while not infringing on privacy.

To me, it's kind of a given. If you're uploading data anywhere, which of course Lucid is doing, you do not have any data privacy. If you want privacy about where you're driving or how fast, you have to get an old car with no computer on board. Just like if you're concerned about personal privacy, stay off the internet. It's tough to do these days, but there's really no other way.
I somewhat agree. But I do caution against the general attitude of "All companies are the same" when it comes to this stuff.

There are ways to collect data anonymously. There are ways to do machine learning "on device" instead of in the cloud. Some companies do actually care about this stuff and try to protect their users.

Many don't.

Also, not all companies sell data about you. Many, in fact, consider it a precious competitive advantage. So they horde it and protect it. Sure, they have tons of data on you, but they will go to great lengths not to give it to anyone else.

The worst are the companies who gather whatever they can before they even know what to do with it, and then sell it to the highest bidder. Again, I would never want to imply that "all" software companies do this. That's just factually inaccurate.

The worst part is that it's hard for the end user to know the difference. And companies may start off in one camp then change their minds when they hit hard times financially.

Which is why I gravitate towards the companies who collect as little data as possible in the first place. The best companies are the ones who don't even WANT your data.

As long as China doesn't get my data, I don't really care. Its ineveitable these days, your data will always be out there if you use the internet or use smart phones. There is absolutely no way you can stop this.

curious to know if there are any companies that doesn't want your data these days.
There are plenty of small indie operations that go out of their way not to collect data. Not only because they don't believe in it, but because they don't want the liability if they were to get hacked.

Also, Apple encrypting all of your message data before it leaves your phone and not storing the keys on their servers is a perfect example of data they simply don't want. Among other reasons, because they don't want to be pressured into handing it over to government authorities. If they don't have the keys, they can't unlock the lock.

They may soon end up having to stop offering Messages in the EU over this. Which they have said repeatedly they would be willing to do before breaking this encryption.

Sure, Apple collects certain data about its customers, mainly to serve them better products. But you literally can't build a new product at Apple without the Privacy team being involved from the first day of planning. All the facial recognition, object detection, etc. for photos happens on your phone, not on servers. All your maps queries are anonymized and encrypted. And you can easily see any third-party app that is using location, bluetooth, the camera, and on and on at any time, and revoke that access.

Are they perfect? Of course not. But like I said earlier, the notion that all tech companies are the same when it comes to data and privacy is factually inaccurate.

Not to derail, but this thread had me thinking about physical privacy. There is very little without additional tinting of windows.

I've never liked tinting and have had it removed from cars pre-owned, but,
all that glass, and was talked into doing the side windows because I was privacy-curious since the car attracts stares. Glad I did. However, you do lose looking-out visibility too. I may have to take it off the side windows... heck, I forget they already have the camera feed...I'm a mobile OnlyFans to the tech-savy public. Yeah, not need for tinting. Privacy is a state of mind.

On data collection. Yeah it seems hopeless.
1694399363387.jpeg

When Skynet takes over...
1694399456665.jpeg

or was that Starlink ?

... the science fiction story where the AI takes over through data networks ... it all starts with a madman on a power-trip ?
1694399900093.jpeg
or someone like him.

... nah, nobody would believe it.

...hopeless may be the correct answer here...which means opportunity! I see a market for tools you plug into your car's datanet and feeds it fake destinations, routes, speeds, camera views, audio, sexual activity ... wow, that would be a fun project. We should not be casual about data mining. In the future everyone has multiple fake identity disorder. Ha! Another market opportunity for on-line therapy.

There are plenty of small indie operations that go out of their way not to collect data. Not only because they don't believe in it, but because they don't want the liability if they were to get hacked.
i'm curious about these companies. any examples you can think of? all of the startups i worked at didn't care about data until they hired their first data scientist or until when they wanted to show better ads.

Not to derail, but this thread had me thinking about physical privacy. There is very little without additional tinting of windows.
Your can always try wearing a mask.
I've never liked tinting and have had it removed from cars pre-owned, but,
all that glass, and was talked into doing the side windows because I was privacy-curious since the car attracts stares. Glad I did. However, you do lose looking-out visibility too. I may have to take it off the side windows... heck, I forget they already have the camera feed...I'm a mobile OnlyFans to the tech-savy public. Yeah, not need for tinting. Privacy is a state of mind.

On data collection. Yeah it seems hopeless.
View attachment 14810
When Skynet takes over...
View attachment 14811

or was that Starlink ?

... the science fiction story where the AI takes over through data networks ... it all starts with a madman on a power-trip ?
View attachment 14812 or someone like him.

... nah, nobody would believe it.

...hopeless may be the correct answer here...which means opportunity! I see a market for tools you plug into your car's datanet and feeds it fake destinations, routes, speeds, camera views, audio, sexual activity ... wow, that would be a fun project. We should not be casual about data mining. In the future everyone has multiple fake identity disorder. Ha! Another market opportunity for on-line therapy.
I don't like tinting because of the vision loss when it's dark out.

i'm curious about these companies. any examples you can think of? all of the startups i worked at didn't care about data until they hired their first data scientist or until when they wanted to show better ads.
A good example is my friend at Slopes. (It’s a skiing and snowboarding tracking app. Company has just a handful of full-time employees and a few part-timers/contractors.) You’d think a tracking app would be a great opportunity to snoop on people’s movements and habits, but he goes out of his way to collect all of his data as anonymously as possible. He even did a great job of designing the “social” aspects of the app such to prevent stalking, harassment, etc. Way better than a lot of multi-billion dollar social networks. And he’s certainly not selling data to anyone. (Though a few resorts have tried to buy him out.)

A good example is my friend at Slopes. (It’s a skiing and snowboarding tracking app. Company has just a handful of full-time employees and a few part-timers/contractors.) You’d think a tracking app would be a great opportunity to snoop on people’s movements and habits, but he goes out of his way to collect all of his data as anonymously as possible. He even did a great job of designing the “social” aspects of the app such to prevent stalking, harassment, etc. Way better than a lot of multi-billion dollar social networks. And he’s certainly not selling data to anyone. (Though a few resorts have tried to buy him out.)
Apple is, in my opinion, the most secure high worth company. They are very focused on privacy(they didnt even let the FBI unlock a criminals phone in 2015/16, cant remember..).

Back