PPF results and questions

Oat

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I just got my car back from a full PPF and I had some mixed feelings. They didn't fully wrap my driver side and passenger side mirror and they did not PPF the black trims around the car.
If you had a PPF done on your car, do you mind sharing some pictures on the side mirror.
Also wanted to see a close up on the front light where the Lucid logo is, want to know if you guys see a seam around the silver trim.
Thanks!

I just got my car back from a full PPF and I had some mixed feelings. They didn't fully wrap my driver side and passenger side mirror and they did not PPF the black trims around the car.
If you had a PPF done on your car, do you mind sharing some pictures on the side mirror.
Also wanted to see a close up on the front light where the Lucid logo is, want to know if you guys see a seam around the silver trim.
Thanks!
I’d definitely push for having the black trims wrapped. That piano black stuff seems to get scratched if you breath on it. In my opinion the side mirrors should be part of any full or partial PPF. Everything on mine was done except for the glass.

Thanks!
It really depends on what the shop typically does with those pieces and what was agreed upon when discussing ppf. Those small trim pieces don't tend to be wrapped in general but each place is different. In terms of the mirror caps, good places will cover the entire mirror, others will only do the high impact area which is the front and part of the top. I usually ask and look at their portfolio of other completed jobs to see their quality of work, how good they wrap edges, how they trim corners and angles, and discuss what I want before I let anyone touch my car. If you talk to them and they are reputable, I'm sure they will redo the mirror caps to your liking, but it might cost a little more.

Thanks!
To assist you as a business owner that does ppf ill chime in.

just like @bobofat mentioned every shop is different

To answer your first question about the mirrors
So, when paint protection film is installed, there is a certain amount of risk assessment we take as installers.

there is a point at which where is the material being stretched beyond its limit can cause failures in the installation. you end up getting things
called "fingers" it's when the adhesive on the ppf pulls back and lifts. generally associated with high amount of tension!

This is important because ppf can only contour and stretch so much. This is why 95% of the mirror installations look like this in the pictures.

**i put tape here to show you where we stop when doing the installation on this lucid we currently have at the shop**

Paint protection film is not vinyl. Vinyl is extremely thin and has more flexibility of coverage than PPF. Any area on the vehicle that is not getting ppf gets our ceramic coating.
2.jpg
1.jpg

To answer your next question about black trim.
The only trim ppf installers generally do are high impact areas. So Mirror trim - black lower trim on all 4 doors. again, we supplement that with paint correction on those parts and make sure it has Ceramic coating.

PPF needs material to grab on to and the black trim is pretty narrow, so it makes it difficult for the ppf to adhere well. Im not saying it cant be done but again its comes down to risk assessment. is it worth having to replace over and over or have the customer upset because it is not staying on long term for the return on protection on it. Black trim can be very easily fixed. Actual body paint is a whole other ball game. Thats why many shops do not do certain trims. That is a conversation you have to have with your installer

For the trim on the LUCID there should be no seam. if there is then the installation was not done right and tension management was done correctly then there shouldn't be a seam there.

I’d definitely push for having the black trims wrapped. That piano black stuff seems to get scratched if you breath on it. In my opinion the side mirrors should be part of any full or partial PPF. Everything on mine was done except for the glass.
To assist you as a business owner that does ppf ill chime in.

just like @bobofat mentioned every shop is different

To answer your first question about the mirrors
So, when paint protection film is installed, there is a certain amount of risk assessment we take as installers.

there is a point at which where is the material being stretched beyond its limit can cause failures in the installation. you end up getting things
called "fingers" it's when the adhesive on the ppf pulls back and lifts. generally associated with high amount of tension!

This is important because ppf can only contour and stretch so much. This is why 95% of the mirror installations look like this in the pictures.

**i put tape here to show you where we stop when doing the installation on this lucid we currently have at the shop**

Paint protection film is not vinyl. Vinyl is extremely thin and has more flexibility of coverage than PPF. Any area on the vehicle that is not getting ppf gets our ceramic coating.
View attachment 8372View attachment 8373

To answer your next question about black trim.
The only trim ppf installers generally do are high impact areas. So Mirror trim - black lower trim on all 4 doors. again, we supplement that with paint correction on those parts and make sure it has Ceramic coating.

PPF needs material to grab on to and the black trim is pretty narrow, so it makes it difficult for the ppf to adhere well. Im not saying it cant be done but again its comes down to risk assessment. is it worth having to replace over and over or have the customer upset because it is not staying on long term for the return on protection on it. Black trim can be very easily fixed. Actual body paint is a whole other ball game. Thats why many shops do not do certain trims. That is a conversation you have to have with your installer

For the trim on the LUCID there should be no seam. if there is then the installation was not done right and tension management was done correctly then there shouldn't be a seam there.

Please let me know if I am too picky or should I ask the detailer to fix them...

Mirror covered half way
IMG_5930.jpeg

Some corners are not wrapped
IMG_5931.jpeg

IMG_5934.jpeg

IMG_5938.jpeg

Handles are not fully wrapped
IMG_5939.jpeg

Rear bumper is not fully tucked in with visible seam

IMG_5942.jpeg

IMG_5943.jpeg

Please let me know if I am too picky or should I ask the detailer to fix them...

Mirror covered half way
View attachment 8384

View attachment 8385

View attachment 8386

View attachment 8387

View attachment 8388

View attachment 8389
View attachment 8390
Personally, some of those edges could have been done a little better. However, when it comes to things like the rear bumper you should not have the line tucked all the way in.
Reason being is that if you squeeze the 2 films together it will create friction and the adhesive will pull.

Pertaining to the door handles if we were to try and wrap all the way around the film could fail. Could it be done yes. will it last? maybe. but will you really see any paint damage on a door handle that's recessed? PPF's main concern is to protect

Its honestly not a terrible job but definitely could have had better execution around some of the edges of the PPF. Ultimately PPF is not vinyl. It is there to protect the paint. It's an expectation that should have been provided to you when you dropped off the car. You would feel differently about it if he explained it to you prior to installation of the ppf.

Here is work in progress on a current lucid we are working on. By no means am I belittling or talking down on the installer. Everyone is different but this is our edges and how we generally prefer the installation to look like
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

Mirror covered half way
View attachment 8384

View attachment 8385

View attachment 8386

View attachment 8387

View attachment 8388

View attachment 8389
View attachment 8390
This to me is a not a good work product on your car. I would never accept it in this condition it looks aweful.

My full body wrap looks more like the pictures Ironclad provided. I just went out and looked to confirm. I also double checked that all the black trim is covered nicely. The detailer I've used (Hyer Quality Detail in Tempe, AZ) has done a ton of Lucids and has received training from Lucid.

I guess if it was me I'd ask myself if I would notice it regularly and if any suspect areas may be prone to damage from being unprotected. Not sure what's involved in a touch up or repair of the film application.

Thank you all for the input!
The handles and mirrors look fine.

The only issue I’d have is the inconsistent and poorly wrapped corners. That I’d definitely have them fix.

Thanks!
I get mine back tomorrow from a full stealth wrap and I choose not to wrap the black shiny plastic, it’s of course a matter of taste, but this is the way I preferred it and I really like it this way it gives the car a little bit more life

Attachments

• 68152D1D-9F6D-4B5D-8DAF-66B3CD9DE7C8.jpeg
    68152D1D-9F6D-4B5D-8DAF-66B3CD9DE7C8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 166
  • 8A55A1F8-F715-402D-A47D-52DE861A0E6C.jpeg
    8A55A1F8-F715-402D-A47D-52DE861A0E6C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 162
I get mine back tomorrow from a full stealth wrap and I choose not to wrap the black shiny plastic, it’s of course a matter of taste, but this is the way I preferred it and I really like it this way it gives the car a little bit more life
What did you wrap the silver parts on the roof in? I matted my Quantum, but just did clear on the silver top

What did you wrap the silver parts on the roof in? I matted my Quantum, but just did clear on the silver top
I used satin black and it came out as a slight contrast to the grey

Quick question about Stealth/Matte/Satin Vinyl Wraps...do people put clear PPF and/or Ceramic Coating on top of the vinyl wraps for further protections? Does putting clear PPF and/or Ceramic Coating on top of the Stealth/Matte/Satin Vinyl Wraps alter the "sheen" of the Matte/Satin material?

Back