PPF Advice Please

Bnwbaron

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
I got a PPF quote from a reliable shop (they did a friends car, long time in business, 5-star Google), and the manager made a comment about putting ppf on the hood. He said that the way the lines on the hood are may result in a seam line and potential hairline gap at a couple of the ridges on top (the ones that extend from the vents). He said it has to do with way the CAD machine prints the ppf and the fact that the ppf doesn't stretch like vinyl. Question for those who have ppf on the hood---are there any seams/gaps, or did they manage it with one piece? Thanks in advance.

We install PPF in a single piece on these hoods constantly. It can be done with no problem, but the shop needs to be willing to do it and be comfortable with stretching the film. Its possible. Very possible. Find another shop.

lucid matte ppf paint protection pa-12.jpg

lucid matte ppf paint protection pa-22.jpg

I got a PPF quote from a reliable shop (they did a friends car, long time in business, 5-star Google), and the manager made a comment about putting ppf on the hood. He said that the way the lines on the hood are may result in a seam line and potential hairline gap at a couple of the ridges on top (the ones that extend from the vents). He said it has to do with way the CAD machine prints the ppf and the fact that the ppf doesn't stretch like vinyl. Question for those who have ppf on the hood---are there any seams/gaps, or did they manage it with one piece? Thanks in advance.
It can be applied in one piece. Find a shop that will apply it with no seams. Mine was applied in one piece and it looks great.

If they use the pre-defined templates, there will be a seam, and they’re mostly just saving labor and expense. Find another shop that will do it custom, which is the only way the hood should be done, imho.

Agree with others on the single piece. The shop that did mine specifically said they did it that way in order to avoid having any seams...

I have had a few quotes and visited each shop to check quality. What is said about the single piece was totally backed up by another (not the seam guy) shop on the phone today. He said they would use a combination of CAD and hand cut, but that for the hood, they would use a large 72" sheet and hand cut (or something to that effect). Glad I got this input from this forum. I would not have been happy with two gaps/seams in the middle of my hood.

I really like the pics....no arguing with that evidence!

It can be applied in one piece. Find a shop that will apply it with no seams. Mine was applied in one piece and it looks great.
Mine looks very good too.
Had it done in Riviera Beach FL.

Just picked up my car yesterday after having XPel Matte PPF installed over my Cosmos Silver and it looks fabulous. I understand any questions and trepidation about why I would cover the silver with a Matte wrap. I took a huge chance after having numerous discussions with the owner of the shop and he was actually finishing up a car with the same base color as mine.. I love the new look of matte with the Stealth package upgraded on my initial Lucid order.
I have appreciated all of your information in this forum, as it has been extremely helpful They were able to do the hood in 1 piece but it was explained to me that the trunk could not (due to the curve of the built-in spoiler. Can anyone confirm that this is true: The trunk cannot be done in a single piece of wrap?
Thank you in advance:

Just picked up my car yesterday after having XPel Matte PPF installed over my Cosmos Silver and it looks fabulous. I understand any questions and trepidation about why I would cover the silver with a Matte wrap. I took a huge chance after having numerous discussions with the owner of the shop and he was actually finishing up a car with the same base color as mine.. I love the new look of matte with the Stealth package upgraded on my initial Lucid order.
I have appreciated all of your information in this forum, as it has been extremely helpful They were able to do the hood in 1 piece but it was explained to me that the trunk could not (due to the curve of the built-in spoiler. Can anyone confirm that this is true: The trunk cannot be done in a single piece of wrap?
Thank you in advance:
I have xpel matte also and the trunk was done in a single piece. Many others on here do as well, plus you can see several examples on YouTube.

Thank you in advance:
My trunk was done in a single piece.

Post pics of the wrap. Curious to see matte silver stealth

Thank you in advance:
Them not being able to do the one piece rear trunk is one or more of 3 reasons:

1. They are doing plotted pre cut kits only.
2. They don't have enough skill to do it. It requires 2 people to stretch it.
3. It requires removal of the spoiler, which they may not do.

if you didn't specifically ask for no seams or edges, the shop gave you a satisfactory install.
if you don't specifically ask for a bulk, custom install, the shop gave you a satisfactory install.

So in short - if you didn't ask for it or ask about multi-piece panels - the installer is not likely to redo it in one piece unless you're going to cover the cost. Every shop is different. THIS is why its important to talk with each shop.

Source: we do this. At 4:27, you can see us one piecing the rear hatch.

Your point
Them not being able to do the one piece rear trunk is one or more of 3 reasons:

1. They are doing plotted pre cut kits only.
2. They don't have enough skill to do it. It requires 2 people to stretch it.
3. It requires removal of the spoiler, which they may not do.

if you didn't specifically ask for no seams or edges, the shop gave you a satisfactory install.
if you don't specifically ask for a bulk, custom install, the shop gave you a satisfactory install.

So in short - if you didn't ask for it or ask about multi-piece panels - the installer is not likely to redo it in one piece unless you're going to cover the cost. Every shop is different. THIS is why its important to talk with each shop.

Source: we do this. At 4:27, you can see us one piecing the rear hatch.

Your point is well taken. I am partially to blame. After reading numerous threads here on PPF, I knew to ask if the hood was done in one piece. However, I did not specify the trunk. And I want to point out that the business what did my job were very, very nice people from the time I walked in the door, so in no way do I want to talk disparagingly about them. I would do business with them again. And he indicated if something was not to my liking or the product malfunctioned in any way, to just bring it back.
I guess my question is since I didn't specify that they were using one piece on the trunk, is it a safe assumption that they don't do it and try to find a different shop OR since it is possible to do, is it unreasonable to ask if they plan on receiving the training necessary to do it in one piece.

I apologize for rambling. I really want to be mindful of the professionalism, and awesome care they provided but also inquire if, pursuing this one-piece trunk wrap will be in the offing soon.

I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

I think if you tell them that you're willing to pay to have it redone in a single piece, they likely will. Whoever you did the work with, I would be happy to consult with them to help them through it. It's not necessarily super crazy but some technicians just need a little help to get over their own internal hunp to step outside of their comfort zone.

The seam also isn't horrible so long as it isn't peeling back, is straight and butter pretty well.

I think if you tell them that you're willing to pay to have it redone in a single piece, they likely will. Whoever you did the work with, I would be happy to consult with them to help them through it. It's not necessarily super crazy but some technicians just need a little help to get over their own internal hunp to step outside of their comfort zone.

The seam also isn't horrible so long as it isn't peeling back, is straight and butter pretty well.
Absolutely. I expect to pay. I'm not the least bit bitter or unappreciative of the work don. I like and appreciate your offer to consult with him. I'll craft a text message, likely Monday, asking if that is something he is willing to do. @TotalDetailingPA your online helpfulness is much like this gentleman's service who did my car. Can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply. If he's willing to accept your offer, what would be the best way to connect with you?

The owner of the shop who did my PPF said he would very much appreciate being able to connect with you. What number should I have him call you at?

I just got PPF on the whole front half of the car and now my frunk doesn’t seem to want to open 🤔 anyone have this issue? It opens a bit and then I have to grab it and open it manually.

I just got PPF on the whole front half of the car and now my frunk doesn’t seem to want to open 🤔 anyone have this issue? It opens a bit and then I have to grab it and open it manually.
Did it work fine prior to ppf?

Back