Pedestrian Warning System

extesla

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla Model S/X AGT
Does the Air have a Pedestrian Warning System? Asking for a friend.

I'm not entirely sure, however, the "cross traffic" warning triggered off a person walking that direction, not sure if this is intended or not...

I'm not entirely sure, however, the "cross traffic" warning triggered off a person walking that direction, not sure if this is intended or not...
hydbob, thanks for the response. What I'm actually asking about is the noise some EVs make at low speeds to warn pedestrians a vehicle is approaching. I believe it's required in the EU countries, but not sure about the US.

hydbob, thanks for the response. What I'm actually asking about is the noise some EVs make at low speeds to warn pedestrians a vehicle is approaching. I believe it's required in the EU countries, but not sure about the US.
OH, that noise, yes it is present, I believe @Mountain Man described it as the Starship Enterprise powering up or something like that. It a warbling noise...

Yes, I'm wondering about pedestrian detection with respect to driving tonight down dark rural road and woman dressed in black walking dog to my left - no reflectors- very difficult to see and no warning from Lucid. I have lane avoidance on and hoped the 360 cameras would provide this capacity. Did recall seeing a govt (Europe?) crash report that Lucid did not pick up pedestrian movement on left front, if I recall correctly. Any other experiences/suggestions?

People can have smaller cross sections to a radar. There's only so much a car can do, so it's best to keep a keen eye out for the reckless pedestrians.

Can also confirm the noise to be at a decent volume for detection. However, noise cancelling headphones and loud music are prominent. No luck for a pedestrian to hear the car with Sony's noise cancelling headphones.

Then there are those who don't care at all. Charleston, SC has a huge problem with the college kids in all black and jay walking. Youth are above mortality and impervious to metal objects on wheels. 乁⁠(⁠ ⁠•⁠_⁠•⁠ ⁠)⁠ㄏ

Note: I'm not disparaging a particular group, my group in fact, as an under 25 owner. The reality of the situation is simply the above though in a lot of cases. Tourists can be bad too with such things of all age groups. I don't know... Pedestrians in general seem to have a death wish sometimes.

Back to pedestrian detection/warning. If there is no pedestrian warning in Lucid, if we are able to put on the 360 cameras intentionally, are they likely to detect a pedestrian or are the 360 cameras always deployed, just not visualized by the driver and don't have the resolution(?), if I understand Rogue's comment?

Back to pedestrian detection/warning. If there is no pedestrian warning in Lucid, if we are able to put on the 360 cameras intentionally, are they likely to detect a pedestrian or are the 360 cameras always deployed, just not visualized by the driver and don't have the resolution(?), if I understand Rogue's comment?
Sightly more technical. Cameras could possibly work. I don't think Lucid has the software in place currently though to detect people by camera. Everything uses radar (my educated guess).

The cross section is what the radar "sees". This is not always proportional to the size of the object. Smooth, rounded objects will deflect the electromagnetic waves away from the object and not back towards the radar. Objects with flat surfaces perpendicular to the radar would likely show the entire surface area.

Materials have an impact as well. An over generality for the sake of the explanation would be softer objects would absorb the radiation while harder objects deflect. Again, complete overgeneralization, but the concept should hopefully make sense. The reflective properties being the true determinant factor, not the hardness of an object.

Thus, the slight derailing into watch for pedestrians because radars have a hard time, and pedestrians can be reckless. Caution over 100% faith in the system. The variance for people is high with the different shapes, fabrics, and movements.

Then infrared would be the answer?
That's a possible solution. I've been out of the electromagnetic field for a few years. Even the time I was in barely scratched the surface.

Maybe we have someone more knowledgeable on the forum. Each kind of radar and sensor has a trade-off. Some work great in some conditions. Others not so much. Thermal sensors may have issue with individuals wrapped in several layers of clothing (one example of many I'm sure).

There are strict requirements on the output of anything electromagnetic for the safety of people, animals, and plants (maybe, probably though).

Yes, that's why I expected the same response from the front cameras.
Ate you sure about this?
Imagine the car behind you rearending your butt because Lucid stopped abruptly?

I wasn't referring to the braking, but the red warning on the camera.
Oh. That's all you want? It already does that. They just have to be close, so high speed maneuvers will still flatten a person.

The A pillars on the Lucid are enormous. I'm training myself to do the head bob. Had a couple close calls not seeing traffic from both directions. It's not just the thickness but the angle, especially obstructive when you are on an uphill grade and traffic is coming from the Left. Agree with Rogue that pedestrians are soft and I have paint protection so no worries.

Back