Passenger Door Would Not Open

ScottWilliamsEsq

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Grand Touring
Today for the first time my front passenger door would not open from the outside. Handle was up, car was unlocked, but it was if the door were welded shut. All other doors worked fine, as did the trunk (already open).

Locked and unlocked the car, no joy on the front passenger door.

Finally had to go into the car from the driver door, open the front passenger door from the inside, and after that worked fine.

Any ideas?

Latch is bad. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve had replaced. Thankfully, it’s not been the driver door, yet.

Today for the first time my front passenger door would not open from the outside. Handle was up, car was unlocked, but it was if the door were welded shut. All other doors worked fine, as did the trunk (already open).

Finally had to go into the car from the driver door, open the front passenger door from the inside, and after that worked fine.

Any ideas?
Hi, Scott.

I advise contacting Customer Care regarding this issue if you have not done so already.

Marqie

I had something similar. A simple walk away and return seemed to reset it. I didn’t know about the trick though, CS walked me through it.

Lost the drivers door going for repair on Monday .......🥳 while charging 2.55 mirros freaked out car open closed for over 5 min like it was taken over by some ghost prob broke the door handle from opening closing like a machine gun called cs they got me out of the car tried to reset but all panels inside then the car reset and door handle broken on drivers side....

Lost the drivers door going for repair on Monday .......🥳 while charging 2.55 mirros freaked out car open closed for over 5 min like it was taken over by some ghost prob broke the door handle from opening closing like a machine gun called cs they got me out of the car tried to reset but all panels inside then the car reset and door handle broken on drivers side....
Interesting, that’s a new glitch. Also did you just finish reading Ulysses by James Joyce? I believe it’s the best example of stream of consciousness writing.

Any ideas?
Had the same happen on that door. Stopped at a store & my wife's door wouldn't open from inside or outside even though it showed as unlocked. Called service and they advised that I lean against it from the outside to apply pressure and it then opened...strange! It's never done it again and service couldn't find anything out of alignment with the latch. Worries me in case of accident.

I've seen this happen twice on the front passenger's side door. Unclear what the cause or fix is. But it's only happened twice in 10 months.

I had this happen day before yesterday on my Lucid Air Touring (2.0.58). My son got into the front passenger side. We reached our destination after a short drive of ~10 miles. Once I parked the car, the passenger side door wouldn't open from either inside or outside! All other doors (except front passenger) could be opened. When the door unlock trigger was pressed and released from inside to open door, I saw the door open and close animation in the "Openings" display but door stayed latched. The door handle outside was open though and I tried to pull on it a bit and felt that it was locked tight. After my son got out through the rear passenger side door, I was on hold for ~5m trying to reach Lucid customer support when I tried the "turn-signal-reset" method. It worked.

I had this happen day before yesterday on my Lucid Air Touring (2.0.58). My son got into the front passenger side. We reached our destination after a short drive of ~10 miles. Once I parked the car, the passenger side door wouldn't open from either inside or outside! All other doors (except front passenger) could be opened. When the door unlock trigger was pressed and released from inside to open door, I saw the door open and close animation in the "Openings" display but door stayed latched. The door handle outside was open though and I tried to pull on it a bit and felt that it was locked tight. After my son got out through the rear passenger side door, I was on hold for ~5m trying to reach Lucid customer support when I tried the "turn-signal-reset" method. It worked.
Similar issue happened with my rear passenger side door today. The latch presented itself but there was no way to open the door from outside -- or inside. I got in the back through the other door and tried pulling the door-release lever back with all my might. This for me is the most concerning part - what happens in an emergency? This door latch was replaced in Nov at Millbrae for a slightly different issue - there was no problem opening it from inside at that time. A reset seems to have made this issue go away.

On top of this, I already have my *front* passenger side door latch slated for replacement. It makes this machine-gun noise when locking/unlocking the car (not just that door). This has already been brought up on this forum by other owners on this thread and others. Link to the video that was posted by another owner on this forum below. This is exactly what the machine-gun noise sounds like.

Last edited:
Clip broken same thing happened to me easy fix seems to be a pretty regular problem

Same thing happened to me this morning with driver side rear passenger door. I called customer service, and they walked me through standard power cycling of the car. It didn't work the first time as I had the charger plugged in. He had me remove the charger and do the power cycling again, and voila, the door opened. He said sometimes with software updates, they are seeing this issue.

Any ideas?
Same issue with me. Front passenger handle gets stuck sometimes in open position sometimes closed, fortunately I am able to open the door from the inside. Have a CS appointment for July 11 - earliest available date!

Same thing happened to me this morning with driver side rear passenger door. I called customer service, and they walked me through standard power cycling of the car. It didn't work the first time as I had the charger plugged in. He had me remove the charger and do the power cycling again, and voila, the door opened. He said sometimes with software updates, they are seeing this issue.
What do you mean, “power cycling”? My rear passenger door is stuck closed and makes that machine-gun noise if I try to open it (I can open from inside, however). Is there an easy fix for this, or must I call a service tech? Thanks.

Same as Automatic Reset from https://www.lucidupdates.com/faq.html except you force the car to shut down by pushing the door handle down before you walk away with the FOB.

I think your issue is more severe and related to a broken latch/clip based on the machine gun sound. Others had the same problem and needed to take it to service. Call or text CS. Good luck!

Last edited:
Also did you just finish reading Ulysses by James Joyce? I believe it’s the best example of stream of consciousness writing.
Kerouac's "On the Road" changed the course of my life. Just to keep things on topic....Lucid. Would love to chat with you in person, crazy.

I've had both rear doors and front passenger door exhibit the issue with not opening; luckily no the driver's door (yet). I rebooted the car and it was fine afterwards. I mentioned this to the Lucid Mobile Tech, who ran some diagnostics and found no issues. It appears to be a software bug IMHO

I've had both rear doors and front passenger door exhibit the issue with not opening; luckily no the driver's door (yet). I rebooted the car and it was fine afterwards. I mentioned this to the Lucid Mobile Tech, who ran some diagnostics and found no issues. It appears to be a software bug IMHO
But did they make that grinding noise? I’m afraid it might be mechanical more than a software thing.

Back