Panel gaps.

Jim2877

Cars
Lucid Air GT
Anyone else experiencing panel gaps inconsonant? Trunk to quarter panel on my GT is very wide.

Anyone else experiencing panel gaps inconsonant? Trunk to quarter panel on my GT is very wide.
Can you take a pic of which gap you are talking about?

I noticed that f my trunk to quarter panel was wider on one side than the other. I complained enough that they took measurements of all panel gaps and I'm supposed to take it in later this week to get it fixed. I'll take pictures before and after.

I have that issue but don’t know if it’s worth fixing. But it’s hard to unsee it.

@BuddhaDada13 : Did they tell you the allowed tolerance? @bunnylebowski had an SA say it was a half inch but maybe they are working to improve that?

Attachments

• 0CA2F69E-D22A-4EE1-815A-ADE29B114A69.jpeg
    0CA2F69E-D22A-4EE1-815A-ADE29B114A69.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 320
  • 479F956B-65B8-45F5-AA19-136080C0B3FE.jpeg
    479F956B-65B8-45F5-AA19-136080C0B3FE.jpeg
    24 KB · Views: 445
  • 36E2655D-FC92-491A-85CE-7F48BA678208.jpeg
    36E2655D-FC92-491A-85CE-7F48BA678208.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 431
  • AE8D6F78-9646-4654-A00A-D366D63BFA3F.jpeg
    AE8D6F78-9646-4654-A00A-D366D63BFA3F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 333
Thanks for the pics. These are the sorts of things about which I feel completely lost as far as getting a base of comparison. My Tesla has way worse alignment than that, for sure. But does the average Mercedes do better? I have no idea.

I never thought about any of this stuff before I read about Teslas being notorious for panel gaps.

Also, light colors are always going to accentuate these alignment issues, for sure. If you are paranoid about panel gaps, get a black car.

I am totally puzzled by this line. Both Mirrors have it. No Idea why this is here. Have never seen it before and probably will not see it ever again unless I buy another Lucid (which I am)

Attachments

• Lucid Mirror .jpg
    Lucid Mirror .jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 340
I am totally puzzled by this line. Both Mirrors have it. No Idea why this is here. Have never seen it before and probably will not see it ever again unless I buy another Lucid (which I am)
Yeah makes the mirror PPF application annoying.

Here are pics of gaps.
Actually those gaps look pretty good. There is a difference from the top to the bottom so I would say your panels gaps are good!

I think it's where the seam is on the plastic mold?

Actually those gaps look pretty good. There is a difference from the top to the bottom so I would say your panels gaps are good!
If you look at the panel alignment it is off. I don’t think for the money this is acceptable. If the panels aligned the gap would be smaller.

If you look at the panel alignment it is off. I don’t think for the money this is acceptable. If the panels aligned the gap would be smaller.
Oh yea, the bumper is off. Sorry was only looking at the trunk lid...

Thanks for the pics. These are the sorts of things about which I feel completely lost as far as getting a base of comparison. My Tesla has way worse alignment than that, for sure. But does the average Mercedes do better? I have no idea.

I never thought about any of this stuff before I read about Teslas being notorious for panel gaps.

Also, light colors are always going to accentuate these alignment issues, for sure. If you are paranoid about panel gaps, get a black car.
My other 4 cars have no alignment issues. White black or red is not the issue. The issue is they don’t align.

Even when the trunk is installed in perfect side-to-side alignment, each gap will vary in width from top to bottom due to an odd variance in the edge contours of the trunk and the quarter panel. I’ve quit noticing it, but it surely is there.

Oh yea, the bumper is off. Sorry was only looking at the trunk lid...
It’s exactly the same on both sides. I would live with panel gap but I don’t like the misalignment. I love the car though and think the quality overall is excellent.

Even when the trunk is installed in perfect side-to-side alignment, each gap will vary in width from top to bottom due to an odd variance in the edge contours of the trunk and the quarter panel. I’ve quit noticing it, but it surely is there.
It’s more the alignment at this point than gap.

My SL 55 had a panel gap so bad at the forward edge of the door, when it was warm out it would rub when I opened it. Something was expanding with the heat! They looked at it and told me it was within spec.

My other 4 cars have no alignment issues. White black or red is not the issue. The issue is they don’t align.
You think it’s just as easy to see these alignment issues on a black car as it is on a white car? Seems like an odd assertion to me.

Oh my white Tesla, I can spot them from 30 feet away.

Back