Odometer Accuracy

EVSRCali

Verified Owner
DE Number
Hi folks, I hit 2000 miles today, owning the car less than 2 months. Any thoughts on the accuracy of the odometer. Feels like it counts more miles than actually travelled. Will need to pay closer attention. Anyone feeling the same way of a racing Odometer? Or, maybe the car is so comfortable that it feels like one travels less than the Odometer registers. Thanks.

Speedometers tend to run fast so that drivers can't blame the manufacturer for getting a speeding ticket. But odometer accuracy is governed by federal law. I highly doubt that the Lucid odometer is inaccurate.

Speedometers tend to run fast so that drivers can't blame the manufacturer for getting a speeding ticket. But odometer accuracy is governed by federal law. I highly doubt that the Lucid odometer is inaccurate.

The Federal Odometer Act (1972) requires that odometer readings be reported accurately to buyers and makes it a crime to tamper with an odometer reading. However, there is no law mandating that an odometer accurately record mileage in the first place.

The closest thing to a federal mandate in this area is "49 CFR Sect. 393.82 - Speedometer" that requires that bus, truck, and tractor-truck speedometers be accurate to within +/- 8km/ph (5mph) at 80km/ph (50mph). However, this law does not extend to passenger cars.

Since car odometers and speedometer readings work off the same data stream, it can probably be assumed that your odometer accuracy will have the same variance as your speedometer reading.

Most cars sold in the U.S. comply with the 1983 standard promulgated by the Society of Automotive Engineers which allows readings to be plus or minus 2 percent of true speed, or on a sliding scale from minus 1 percent to as much as plus 4 percent.

Do we know if Lucid uses a true odometer or just GPS? My car go trailered from San Antonio to Houston for service. RT around 400 miles, odometer showed about that increase on it's return.

Do we know if Lucid uses a true odometer or just GPS? My car go trailered from San Antonio to Houston for service. RT around 400 miles, odometer showed about that increase on it's return.
By law, it has to be accurate. They cannot “fake” it via gps.

Are you 100% sure those miles were added? That they didn’t drive the car a bit during service?

Wtf.. are you sure the employee did not drive it instead of a trailer?

Wtf.. are you sure the employee did not drive it instead of a trailer?
No way to know, and it was back in January, right before we left for travel...so didn't really register until I looked at the service order. Will never know...

Back