No-drill front license plate?

deeohgee

Cars
Lucid Air Dream
I live in Ontario Canada and I'm curious if anyone has found a really good no-drill front license plate option. Any suggestion would be great!

Inside the frunk, haha. I live in Illinois, which only recently is getting away from a front plate requirement. But I drove my Model S for right years without a front plate before I read that legislators were re-thinking the rule. The rationale is that today's technology obviates the need for a front plate. I was stopped a couple of times for speeding, and one officer even asked questions about the car, but the missing front plate never came up. If you really want to install one, you may want to consider something like this:
Ballade Sports Automobile Car Vehicle Truck Retractable Flip Up License Plate Holder, Motorized Plate Frame with Key Fob https://a.co/d/2pi09p0

We're required to have a front plate here. But it isn't really enforced, so I just didn't install mine. In theory if I get pulled over for speeding or something, I might get a fix-it ticket for it, but I'll cross that bridge if I get there. I haven't been pulled over in 15 years, and they only pull you over here for moving violations, so won't pull you over for a missing plate.

Inside the frunk, haha. I live in Illinois, which only recently is getting away from a front plate requirement. But I drove my Model S for right years without a front plate before I read that legislators were re-thinking the rule. The rationale is that today's technology obviates the need for a front plate. I was stopped a couple of times for speeding, and one officer even asked questions about the car, but the missing front plate never came up. If you really want to install one, you may want to consider something like this:
Ballade Sports Automobile Car Vehicle Truck Retractable Flip Up License Plate Holder, Motorized Plate Frame with Key Fob https://a.co/d/2pi09p0
Where did you hear we don’t have a front plate requirement anymore in Illinois?

There are several solutions out there using the tow hook. Would probably take a little research to find the correct size.

Here's one example!
Yes I had one of those for my Audi for years until I had to get my water pump replaced and the mechanic said that he couldn’t the front fender off without sawing off my tow hook holder. I’ve been driving around with my front license plate zip tied on ever since

It seems like there’s been no new news on this bill since the spring. Anyone know if anything came of it? I’m seriously considering not getting a front plate with this news

It seems like there’s been no new news on this bill since the spring. Anyone know if anything came of it? I’m seriously considering not getting a front plate with this news
It went to the rules committee in the spring. I got a parking ticket downtown a couple weeks ago for no plate, so no more money from me for Park Chicago it's all garages from now on LOL

I've left them off for years--they KILL the aesthetics of most cars, and the Air in particular...the only "enforcement" issues have been a second "parking" ticket for no fromt plate . Aggregate 15? year cost: 300 bucks...worth it to me.

Got a call from DA today and he asked if I want holes in the front bumper. I am in NJ which is a 2 plate state but told him not to put holes. Anyone has experience driving in NJ without a front plate? How often would you get pulled over?

Got a call from DA today and he asked if I want holes in the front bumper. I am in NJ which is a 2 plate state but told him not to put holes. Anyone has experience driving in NJ without a front plate? How often would you get pulled over?
I decided to put plates on the front. I got pulled over only once with my last car for not having plates on front of the car during the 5 years of ownership. Seems like a lot of people do not put front plates on. I just didn't want to deal with it.

I decided to put plates on the front. I got pulled over only once with my last car for not having plates on front of the car during the 5 years of ownership. Seems like a lot of people do not put front plates on. I just didn't want to deal with it.
I might just go with one plate and hope that NJ passes the law for single plate.

I might just go with one plate and hope that NJ passes the law for single plate.
Here is a New Jersey dilemma: I just picked up my Air Touring yesterday and did not have my front plate installed. Now I find out that I have to take the car for inspection when I get my plates. Now what? It will not pass inspection w/o the front plate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is a New Jersey dilemma: I just picked up my Air Touring yesterday and did not have my front plate installed. Now I find out that I have to take the car for inspection when I get my plates. Now what? It will not pass inspection w/o the front plate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Part of the paperwork you signed was a waiver of the front license plate installation. If you don’t sign that, they install the front plate bracket for you.

You can also tell Lucid service and they will install it for you free of charge via mobile service; it is presently in your frunk.

Part of the paperwork you signed was a waiver of the front license plate installation. If you don’t sign that, they install the front plate bracket for you.

You can also tell Lucid service and they will install it for you free of charge via mobile service; it is presently in your frunk.

When I got my last few cars in NJ I asked the dealers not to install the front plate, and had no problems because the car came out of the showroom with a 4-year inspection sticker, and I did not have to get it inspected by the state. With Lucid, it does not come with an inspection sticker, and I have to take the car in to inspection. It will not pass inspection without a front plate. So I guess that at least in NJ, not having a front plate installed is not an option.

When I got my last few cars in NJ I asked the dealers not to install the front plate, and had no problems because the car came out of the showroom with a 4-year inspection sticker, and I did not have to get it inspected by the state. With Lucid, it does not come with an inspection sticker, and I have to take the car in to inspection. It will not pass inspection without a front plate. So I guess that at least in NJ, not having a front plate installed is not an option.

Following up on my own post: As someone just mentioned in a different thread, it seems that NJ does not require for me to have the car inspected if it's 100% electric. It it's true, then my problem is solved. Will ned to verify with NJ.

I get pulled over around once a year and I have come up with various excuses and have yet to get a ticket in around 10 years without one. You don't need an inspection sticker in NJ on a full EV.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Use EZ Pass/I-Pass hook and loop tape for the inspection, this stuff is strong and should easily last for several blocks of driving to get you into the inspection facility.

Back