New scheduled charging feature -- how is it supposed to work?

rao_94583

Verified Owner
Cars
AT, Audi e-tron GT
Got the new update last night, and decided to try it this morning. Set scheduled start time to 12:00 AM, and it displays "Scheduled charging 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM", and "Immediate charging 12:00 AM to 12:00 PM". I understood that to mean -- if you plug it in any time between midnight and noon, it will start charging immediately, and between noon and midnight, it will wait until midnight to charge.

This made perfect sense, but it doesn't work. I plugged the car in at about 7:00 AM, and it did _not_ start charging (charge port light was white). It only started when I turned off the schedule.

Is there a method to this madness? 12:00 AM _is_ midnight, isn't it?

Got the new update last night, and decided to try it this morning. Set scheduled start time to 12:00 AM, and it displays "Scheduled charging 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM", and "Immediate charging 12:00 AM to 12:00 PM". I understood that to mean -- if you plug it in any time between midnight and noon, it will start charging immediately, and between noon and midnight, it will wait until midnight to charge.

This made perfect sense, but it doesn't work. I plugged the car in at about 7:00 AM, and it did _not_ start charging (charge port light was white). It only started when I turned off the schedule.

I set a time of 8:00AM this morning and charging did not start. There appears to be a bug in the new feature. @hydbob reported the same.

I set a time of 8:00AM this morning and charging did not start. There appears to be a bug in the new feature. @hydbob reported the same.
I found the release notes confusing. There's a "predetermined, system-defined window" before your "scheduled charging" period where it indicates you can plug in and it won't start charging. Outside of the system-defined window and the scheduled charging window, presumably, if you plug in, charging will start. And from the previous posts on this thread and from private communications, none of the above seems a correct interpretation. I've requested a "Bobby On The Air" video, but Bobby's busy with other things right now.

Scheduled charging didn't work for me either. I set it to start charging at 10am, plugged in Lucid's LHCS, and put the car to sleep. It didn't wake up to charge. When I woke the car up with my key fob, it also didn't charge. Looks like the new feature isn't working for anyone yet.

I found the release notes confusing. There's a "predetermined, system-defined window" before your "scheduled charging" period where it indicates you can plug in and it won't start charging. Outside of the system-defined window and the scheduled charging window, presumably, if you plug in, charging will start. And from the previous posts on this thread and from private communications, none of the above seems a correct interpretation. I've requested a "Bobby On The Air" video, but Bobby's busy with other things right now.
What’s the point of this ‘predetermined window’ where the owner can’t charge? Can that window be changed by the user?

It appears nobody can get the headline feature to work. Weird.

Hi, @rao_94583.

Thank you for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

Marqie

Sounds like Lucid made this harder (more confusing) than it needed to be. Resulting in the function not working at all. Wonder how it was tested before release?

Reactions: BNL
Haven't heard from anyone that has been successful with the new scheduled charging feature yet. The Air is my fifth EV, all of which had charge scheduling, and I can't get this one to work. Four of them had a simple and unambiguous user interface for this function.

Reactions: BNL
Interestingly, it seems that few here are using the timer function of their charger. Although I can set a timer function on my i4, I don’t bother and use the timer scheduling on my ChargePoint Flex. So even if the car didn’t have it, or in the case of the Lucid the feature didn’t work, I’d still be able to time my charging.

Do most owners here not have a charger with timer scheduling?

Interestingly, it seems that few here are using the timer function of their charger. Although I can set a timer function on my i4, I don’t bother and use the timer scheduling on my ChargePoint Flex. So even if the car didn’t have it, or in the case of the Lucid the feature didn’t work, I’d still be able to time my charging.

Most have reported issues with the timer function built into the charger. It appears the car won’t wake up when the charger attempts to initiate the charge. A Lucid issue, even though I believe @borski didnt have issues with his charger function. But @Drendino has had issues for a while on his.

Most have reported issues with the timer function built into the charger. It appears the car won’t wake up when the charger attempts to initiate the charge. A Lucid issue, even though I believe @borski didnt have issues with his charger function. But @Drendino has had issues for a while on his.
Oy, I thought we were out of the woods. I’m out of town, but will set my ChargePoint scheduler when I get back and will see if it works. Maybe this update is more intended to support 3rd party schedulers? The problem I was having was that when I plugged in with my scheduler on, the car was expecting a charge and sent error messages when it didn’t receive it. It would make sense that this OTA would fix that by going to sleep and only waking when a 3rd party charger wakes it up inside the scheduled hours. We will see.

Interesting. What that also implies is that if you have a power outage, the car won't start charging again when power comes back on.

I'd be pretty confident that the scheduled charging feature works, but that they haven't given us the magic formula. When I get the chance I'll check to see if the Owners Manual has been updated and gives a better description.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that they would actually ship software that doesn't work. My theory is that they had a deployment snafu -- some libraries that were supposed to be in the patch aren't, and someone at Lucid is right this minute scrambling to make another package to deploy.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that they would actually ship software that doesn't work
Ummm…… what’s the last 12+ months been? 😂

We‘ve just used the tesla cables that came with the cars as the cars did the scheduling. I’ve been doing the same with the Lucid cable but manually starting the charge at my desired time. We’ve been waiting for this update so the car will automatically charge at the time it is set for. We’ll see what happens - it appears to be scheduled for a charge starting at 10pm but the wording on the pilot panel is strange.

Ummm…… what’s the last 12+ months been? 😂
Well, having some familiarity with software development, it's almost certain that they would not announce and ship a feature that is known not to work (if they did, their entire software organization should be summarily dismissed). It could be incomplete, or buggy, as a result of having been done in a hurry, but not completely busted -- as this feature seems to be. So it's either a deployment botch, or a gross failure of documentation. (The latter is less likely, because we'd have heard from Lucid about it by now).

what version number has this feature incorporated ??

Back