New Member From San Diego

KRG

Hi everyone!

New member and potential new owner here. I'm a current Tesla owner and still love my car, but the Air has really interested me over the last year. I have a test drive scheduled later this week and I look forward to spending some time reading through the forum to get a general feel. I have a lot of anxiety about leaving NACS behind; that's my biggest hangup. The uniqueness of the Air might make up for it though.

Hi everyone!

New member and potential new owner here. I'm a current Tesla owner and still love my car, but the Air has really interested me over the last year. I have a test drive scheduled later this week and I look forward to spending some time reading through the forum to get a general feel. I have a lot of anxiety about leaving NACS behind; that's my biggest hangup. The uniqueness of the Air might make up for it though.
Welcome. Lots of former (and current) Tesla owners here. I’m sure we can answer any questions you may have.

Personally, my experience with CCS has been fine so far. I don’t really miss the Supercharger network. But others in San Diego can give you a better sense of how EA and others work out there. It can be fairly region specific.

Welcome to the forum! And maybe to ownership. As a fellow San Diegan, I can say that even if you're not set up to charge at home, there are a number of pretty reliable EA chargers around the county. I do have a charger in my garage, but 3/4 of my charging is done at the EA near my home.

Hey hey! Welcome. I had a roller coaster of emotions while going through the decision of whether to buy or not (ultimately did and I don’t regret it at all). Let me know if you have any questions! Happy to help

Reactions: KRG
Welcome to the forum! And maybe to ownership. As a fellow San Diegan, I can say that even if you're not set up to charge at home, there are a number of pretty reliable EA chargers around the county. I do have a charger in my garage, but 3/4 of my charging is done at the EA near my home.
Luckily I do have a home charger so that helps a lot and I'd have zero issues day to day. I'd like to take the occasional roadtrip though. I assume CA has a better network than most regions but I have no experience outside Tesla.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I'll follow up with my thoughts post test drive.

Hi everyone!

The product speaks for itself! Absolutely phenomenal to drive. Perfect balance between screens and buttons. Looks very futuristic. Will you really deprive yourself of such a phenomenal machine just because you wont have a supercharger for that few days a year that you take a long trip?

The question is are you ready for additional attention and being stopped all the time people asking this question: "What kind of car is this?" and after small talk "It's absolutely gorgeous". I still have my model 3 but my wife drives it exclusively now. I much prefer driving Air than Model 3. Also use your Tesla app charging statistics for the past year and you can see if you are really dependent on supercharging network or not. Also when you are ready to order I am going to suggest one of forum members referal code. This will save you a few $$$ depending on a trim.

I’ve had great experiences charging as a SD local. It is an amazing car. You’ll love it.

I’ve found driving throughout California to be fairly worry-free with existing EA network combined with built in Nav software that is now decent.

The question is are you ready for additional attention and being stopped all the time people asking this question: "What kind of car is this?" and after small talk "It's absolutely gorgeous". I still have my model 3 but my wife drives it exclusively now. I much prefer driving Air than Model 3. Also use your Tesla app charging statistics for the past year and you can see if you are really dependent on supercharging network or not. Also when you are ready to order I am going to suggest one of forum members referal code. This will save you a few $$$ depending on a trim.

Yeah. As a car guy, the main thing I don't like about Tesla is the LACK of uniqueness and attention.

...I have a lot of anxiety about leaving NACS behind; that's my biggest hangup....
We've taken four ~1000 mile road trips in our two CCS EVs and had a great time. For many areas, I expect the concern my be largely moot in 12-18 months as federal NEVI funds produce results, and as Tesla's network becomes open to non-Tesla cars.

I really appreciate the warm welcome. I may bounce the occasional question off some you as I go through the process. But I’ll spend time reading the forum as well. I had a test drive today and really loved the car! Reminded me of the European sport-luxury cars I had and obsessed over pre-Tesla. The only negative was the test car had an annoying creaking in the steering column which unfortunately seems somewhat common and hard to fix. The overall feel of the car was awesome though. I’m leaning toward pulling the trigger.

I really appreciate the warm welcome. I may bounce the occasional question off some you as I go through the process. But I’ll spend time reading the forum as well. I had a test drive today and really loved the car! Reminded me of the European sport-luxury cars I had and obsessed over pre-Tesla. The only negative was the test car had an annoying creaking in the steering column which unfortunately seems somewhat common and hard to fix. The overall feel of the car was awesome though. I’m leaning toward pulling the trigger.
Not hard to fix at all. They will replace the steering wheel. Mine is silent.

My GT also got a new steering wheel under warranty (for creaks) and is great now.

Sorry to revive this again. I’m on my 3rd steering wheel now. My steering wheel has always made a “pop” noise when turning from left to right (I’ll try and post a video). No matter what wheel, it always makes the noise. My car is being looked at for an airbag light and I asked them to look again. I am being told it is the suspension and is considered normal. I find that difficult to believe and this has become extremely annoying. I have seen people talk about felt being placed somewhere in the wheel to fix it, but I’m now being asked for a video of another car not making this noise. They said they checked multiple cars in their shop and they all exhibit the same noise. @Bobby i know you had some noise and a replacement fixed it. Does this sound like the same noise? @Drendino i know you had multiple replacements as well!

*im now being told it’s not the suspension, but the steering column/roll connector and is still considered normal; I do not think that’s normal, but others verifying that would be greatly appreciated*

Attachments

• IMG_4123.mov
    18.8 MB
Last edited:
Sorry to revive this again. I’m on my 3rd steering wheel now. My steering wheel has always made a “pop” noise when turning from left to right (I’ll try and post a video). No matter what wheel, it always makes the noise. My car is being looked at for an airbag light and I asked them to look again. I am being told it is the suspension and is considered normal. I find that difficult to believe and this has become extremely annoying. I have seen people talk about felt being placed somewhere in the wheel to fix it, but I’m now being asked for a video of another car not making this noise. They said they checked multiple cars in their shop and they all exhibit the same noise. @Bobby i know you had some noise and a replacement fixed it. Does this sound like the same noise? @Drendino i know you had multiple replacements as well!

*im now being told it’s not the suspension, but the steering column/roll connector and is still considered normal; I do not think that’s normal, but others verifying that would be greatly appreciated*
I’m sorry you are having to deal with this. I’ve had 4 wheels replaced and the most recent one has held up. That sound is different than the creek that I experienced and it seems far from normal in my opinion. I would suggest escalating to Ron Reyes. He has helped me in similar circumstances.

I’m sorry you are having to deal with this. I’ve had 4 wheels replaced and the most recent one has held up. That sound is different than the creek that I experienced and it seems far from normal in my opinion. I would suggest escalating to Ron Reyes. He has helped me in similar circumstances.
I’m just being told that the “pop” noise is considered normal and being experienced across all vehicles they have both new and higher miles than mine. So to be clear, you’re not experiencing that popping sound?

Back