NEMA 10-30 Adapter

duc900

Cars
AGT Black/Tahoe
FYI, if anyone is expecting to charge at home with the mobile charger supplied by Lucid with a NEMA 10-30 plug be aware there is not an adapter available just yet. Should be on the roadmap but no timetable listed yet. There are ways around it but good to know in advance for planning purposes.

I installed a 60AMP 240 Volt Breaker and a NEMA 14-50AMP 240 Volt plug. I hope that works and here my poor man installation 😂

Attachments

• A05D4903-9D67-4AEA-9263-CFB625E53399.jpeg
    A05D4903-9D67-4AEA-9263-CFB625E53399.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169
I am surprised that your electrician did this because a 50A plug should not be on a 60A circuit.
He is a certified electrician and says he looked up the code and the current to the plug is what is should be. They do some calculation also as to what gauge wire they install. Are you a certified Electrical Engineer or just thinking that is not the right thing to do? Thanks

Looks like it’s OK

Attachments

• 551AF12C-8A8C-461F-9FE1-2403DCE20641.jpeg
    551AF12C-8A8C-461F-9FE1-2403DCE20641.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 162
A NEMA 14-50R (receptacle) can be installed per code on a circuit protected by either a 40 amp breaker, or more typically a 50 amp breaker. Not 60 amp. Bigger wire gauge is fine if the breaker and receptacle are rated for it (check the specs of each), but the receptacle must not be fed by a circuit with a breaker larger than 50 amps. In the name "14-50R", the 14 is the prong style/number of conductors, 50 is the maximum size circuit (breaker) it is rated to handle, and R is for Receptacle (outlet). 14-50P is the Plug that would fit it.

I am an electrical engineer; that's why rays are coming out of my head in the picture.

Last edited:
Ok Crisis averted he switched the 60 out with another 50 that was out there for the Surge protector 🤪. Thank you for your input. Appreciate this helpful community.

At least you got yours to install it upside down! Mine said code is ground down. So I had to flip it myself after he left.

At least you got yours to install it upside down! Mine said code is ground down. So I had to flip it myself after he left.
My guy installed my Eaton Panel therefore I imagine he knew what he was doing and I had my panel and all wiring inspected and passed by the city. I have no clue how and whether the ground are down or not and why that would matter but apparently it must

It is important because of the orientation of the charger plug. For instance: if you're installing a ChargePoint+ charger, you'll want the receptacle installed with the ground pointing UP; otherwise, you'll have to have a 180 bend in the charger plug cable (aka a loop). Google "install ChargePoint+" and look at the installation instructions to see what I'm talking about. I haven't checked all the chargers but the ones that I have checked have the same orientation as ChargePoint+. Have this helps.

It is important because of the orientation of the charger plug. For instance: if you're installing a ChargePoint+ charger, you'll want the receptacle installed with the ground pointing UP; otherwise, you'll have to have a 180 bend in the charger plug cable (aka a loop). Google "install ChargePoint+" and look at the installation instructions to see what I'm talking about. I haven't checked all the chargers but the ones that I have checked have the same orientation as ChargePoint+. Have this helps.
Yeah. I could have just mounted the charger above the outlet and hung the cord down. But I wanted the charger lower to the ground and closer to the garage door. So I preferred flipping the outlet and mounting the charger one stud over closer to the garage door.

I did some reading online of course and other people have done it. I also saw the electrician install the outlet/receptacle so I knew how it looked on the inside.

It was still trickier than I thought. I was worried the wires had a little too much tension compared to before.

I am surprised that your electrician did this because a 50A plug should not be on a 60A circuit.
Correct.
He is a certified electrician and says he looked up the code and the current to the plug is what is should be. They do some calculation also as to what gauge wire they install. Are you a certified Electrical Engineer or just thinking that is not the right thing to do? Thanks

I know your electrician put it on a 50 amp breaker, but just for everyone's use I'll leave the topic with this:

NEC 210.21(B)(3) Maximum Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load to Receptacle

(3) Receptacle Ratings​

Where connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table 210.21(B)(3), or, where rated higher than 50 amperes, the receptacle rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit rating.

Table 210.21(B)(3) Receptacle Ratings for Various Size Circuits

Circuit Rating (Amperes)Receptacle Rating (Amperes)
15Not over 15
2015 or 20
4040 or 50

The NEMA 14-30 plug is now available on the Lucid Store

Placed my order; thanks!

Just received my 14-30 adapter and it is doing its inaugural charge at 20 mph right now. It’s good not to need the local EA chargers.

This adapter has disappeared from the store. Anyone know why?

No idea why it's not there. I ordered one in late March and received it shortly thereafter.

Back