Need help cleaning Santa Cruz white mats!

imran

Cars
Lucid air GT
So I spent a BACKBREAKING 1.5 hrs scrubbing the white floor mats for my Santa Cruz interior and dispose my best efforts the pic shows the mediocre result I got: I’ve included a pic of the cleaner I used. It says the dilute it 20:1, I increased to 4:1 and still had to vigorously scrub several times, then vacuum, then wipe with microfiber cloth and then air dry.

There’s GOT to be an easier solution to keeping these clean ? Any made to measure mats out there for the lucid yet ? Or should I be using a different cleaner ? Also any suggestions for a cargo liner for trunk ? Finally any cleaner for the white leather rear seats ?

Thanx!! (Exhausted!!)

Imran

Attachments

• E9044312-25FF-4511-92B5-57F8C9D10E9C.jpeg
    E9044312-25FF-4511-92B5-57F8C9D10E9C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 155
  • 2170F44C-4221-44A8-A2CC-51A10BFC598C.jpeg
    2170F44C-4221-44A8-A2CC-51A10BFC598C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
I have Santa Cruz interior and have spot cleaned with the Oxiclean interior one with decent results.

Currently using generic weathertech mats from Costco, too.

All weather mats from Lucid should be around in a month or two. Also did a fitting with 3D mats last week and they will also be out in a month or two as well.

Did you scotch guard your carpets beforehand?

Scotch guard makes such a difference. I put it on the carpets on day 1 when I got the car thanks to this forum. A couple days ago my wife spilled red hibiscus tea on my light tan Tahoe floor mats and I used chemical guys leather cleaner and it took it right off. I used the leather cleaner just cuz that was all I had with me in the car for interior cleaning.

What Lucid uses to clean their show room models and test drive car carpet is Tuff Stuff cleaner. I have it in case of a really bad stain, my kid got some black oily stuff on her shoe that I used the Tuff Stuff on and that worked, but be warned the smell is really strong so you gotta air the mats out for a bit after cleaning.

Lucid does not recommend using any leather cleaner on the seats, just a damp cloth. The Bridge of Weir leather is kind of sensitive I think. I used chemical guys sprayable leather on the Tahoe seats and leather on the dash and regretted it not realizing they said not to use any leather conditioners or cleaners and it caused a darker discoloration on the dash I still haven’t been able to fully clean off. The chemical guys leather cleaner is ok though at least for the Tahoe interior, I’ve had no issues with it.

Last edited:
All weather mats from Lucid should be around in a month or two. Also did a fitting with 3D mats last week and they will also be out in a month or two as well.

Did you scotch guard your carpets beforehand?

Oh, good on you! I shall wait for those. After wasting literally hundreds of dollars trying out different types of all-weather floormats for our Teslas, 3D were the brand I finally settled with. I’m very happy with them!

The Tesla-branded WeatherTech floormats were pretty disappointing.

Hopefully WeatherTech or Lucid will come out with some matching color laser fitted all weather mats very soon. I have have an oyster carpet now on a 5 year old car that is spotless and I think it is best just to get an oyster colored all weather mat rather than to try to keep up with this in my opinion. I also think spraying on some Scotchguard is a great idea! With that said, I bought a little green carpet cleaner that gets professional results and keeps my carpets clean here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016HF5GK/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=69193e6b316d8503f61b5334afc82a8f&content-id=amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786:amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786&hsa_cr_id=7602480010901&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=aa0991c2-d791-4c3f-9bc4-0ecba0666f6d&pd_rd_w=ePUgc&pd_rd_wg=Sms8p&qid=1662899584&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img&sr=1-1-a094db1c-5033-42c6-82a2-587d01f975e8&th=1

So I spent a BACKBREAKING 1.5 hrs scrubbing the white floor mats for my Santa Cruz interior and dispose my best efforts the pic shows the mediocre result I got: I’ve included a pic of the cleaner I used. It says the dilute it 20:1, I increased to 4:1 and still had to vigorously scrub several times, then vacuum, then wipe with microfiber cloth and then air dry.

There’s GOT to be an easier solution to keeping these clean ? Any made to measure mats out there for the lucid yet ? Or should I be using a different cleaner ? Also any suggestions for a cargo liner for trunk ? Finally any cleaner for the white leather rear seats ?

Thanx!! (Exhausted!!)

Imran
The second day I had the Santa Cruz interior, I put an order in for Dark Grey floor mats from Lucid. They are back ordered so I am still waiting. In the interim, I flipped over the mats to the black side, and switch the driver and passenger mats. It is a good temporary solution.

Scotch guard makes such a difference. I put it on the carpets on day 1 when I got the car thanks to this forum. A couple days ago my wife spilled red hibiscus tea on my light tan Tahoe floor mats and I used chemical guys leather cleaner and it took it right off. I used the leather cleaner just cuz that was all I had with me in the car for interior cleaning.

What Lucid uses to clean their show room models and test drive car carpet is Tuff Stuff cleaner. I have it in case of a really bad stain, my kid got some black oily stuff on her shoe that I used the Tuff Stuff on and that worked, but be warned the smell is really strong so you gotta air the mats out for a bit after cleaning.

Lucid does not recommend using any leather cleaner on the seats, just a damp cloth. The Bridge of Weir leather is kind of sensitive I think. I used chemical guys sprayable leather on the Tahoe seats and leather on the dash and regretted it not realizing they said not to use any leather conditioners or cleaners and it caused a darker discoloration on the dash I still haven’t been able to fully clean off. The chemical guys leather cleaner is ok though at least for the Tahoe interior, I’ve had no issues with it.
It would make sense for Lucid to scotch guard the carpets themselves before delivery to owners, since it is obvious that light colored carpets are going to show dirt easily. I would think the subcontractor could apply it before delivering them to Lucid.

It would make sense for Lucid to scotch guard the carpets themselves before delivery to owners, since it is obvious that light colored carpets are going to show dirt easily. I would think the subcontractor could apply it before delivering them to Lucid.
Possibly, but I added my own and on the carpet areas inside the car anyways and added those motortrend mats. Full protection!

This is what I've been doing, and it seems like it's been keeping my santa cruz floor mats in pretty good shape
1. scotch guard on all the floor mats, I did this as soon as I got the car but hopefully it's never too late
2. vacuum frequently, I keep a little battery powered vacuum in the garage to make this easy
3. before shampooing, I vacuum really thoroughly. This involves using a small brush loosen up anything stuck deep in the floor mat so it can be vacuumed away. I believe detailers use compressed air for this which would be even better/easier.

For shampooing I've been using P&S Carpet Bomber Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. I don't find shampooing gets things super clean with just a brush. Trying to vacuum frequently to reduce the need for a deep clean/shampoo does seem to help a lot. Come winter time and more rain/dirt/mud this routine may prove insufficient, and I may have to invest in a carpet cleaner/steamer.

For the trunk, I actually found the weathertech trunk mat from my `18 B9 Audi S4 seems to fit well enough until something custom comes along. While it is true you can use a cut to fit mat that would fit better, I find having the lip around the edge makes a big difference, since it contains the large quantities of playground sand that are forever making their way into our car thanks to our toddler.

IMG_1968.jpg

Many levels of commitment you can take to keep the carpeting clean. I've had experience with Santa Cruz / Santa Monica interiors and the following has worked for me:

-Vacuum,
-Tuff Stuff with 30-60 seconds of lingering, and then hand scrubbing with a soft brush or microfiber,
-Allow time to dry and vacuum again.

The leather sections (piping and outer trim) clean up really well with additive-free baby wipes (which are also my preferred spot cleaner for the seats) or a product like this that is an oil free, light cleaner for interiors. Griot's Interior Cleaner or Meguiar's no-streak.

If you want to feel like a pro, you can also get something like a Little Green Machine for ~$120.

This afternoons task……..

9630EC81-43C9-4A95-A3CC-5CD039F5869A.jpeg

Think I'm going to need a Cleanslate TM! We had a huge Bissel, but gave it away after de-carpeting the house.
I got it for the portability. Does a good job in spot cleaning and on these annoying mats. Lol! I have the Mojave ones in order but they’re taking forever to arrive.

@HC_79 any chance you have some before and after photos from using the carpet extractor?

I second your request. I filled out the order form online, but being preternaturally cheap, I didn’t complete the order. I just wasn’t completely sure I needed to invest in yet another piece of cleaning equipment.

@HC_79 any chance you have some before and after photos from using the carpet extractor?
I second your request. I filled out the order form online, but being preternaturally cheap, I didn’t complete the order. I just wasn’t completely sure I needed to invest in yet another piece of cleaning equipment.
The image taken was after the fact. It looks better in person than what the pic shows. They had a lot of grey on them but low and behold after 5 mins in the car they're starting to show marks again so will no doubt be cleaning over the weekend. The sooner I can get the Mojave mats the better. I love everything about the Santa Cruz interior EXCEPT the carpet/mat color. I like what Mercedes did with the EQS, cream carpet but a darker floor mat.

Coat with ScotchGuard, small stains get chemical guys interior leather cleaner (yep works great on the ScotchGuard carpet), bad stains get TuffStuff which Lucid studios use, just gotta let the carpet air out cuz TuffStuff smells bad. That’s for my Tahoe interior which has taken a beating and looks great after I clean it every time. Would steam cleaning mess up the ScotchGuard?

Coat with ScotchGuard, small stains get chemical guys interior leather cleaner (yep works great on the ScotchGuard carpet), bad stains get TuffStuff which Lucid studios use, just gotta let the carpet air out cuz TuffStuff smells bad. That’s for my Tahoe interior which has taken a beating and looks great after I clean it every time. Would steam cleaning mess up the ScotchGuard?
Never tried tuff stuff but will give it a try, otherwise everything else you mentioned is spot on( pun intended)

Jeez…(complaining to no one in particular), how long does it take to fill a backorder of mohave grey floormats…

Back