My Road Trip Experiences

I live in SLC. And I've done road trips to Vegas California, Arizona, Chicago, ans then DC to SLC last winter.

Range will get to around a decent usable distance. You stop more often. I was around 2.8-3 mi/kw. Heater I think did use up more range, seat warmer with less heater usage is better.

But overall I had no issues road tripping in the winter and going Coast to coast. My charging experience was seamless because it was before signet surge and all the other problems (Nov 2022)

But Lucid range estimates and route planner that's built in does a better job with estimating % arrival so road trips should be more seamless now.

@HariK just got done with a pretty awesome road trip, I'm sure he has some great tips.
My only experience was that Plugshare with filters like EA only 100kW or level 2 at hotels was much better to plan the route compared to ABRP. Charging at EA as we all know is usually better at malls. One caution is not to charge to 99% or so when you are likely to go downhill soon. At 95% vs 99% is hardly worth noting. That said, when there is no other car waiting and I can see the car from a restaurant, I did charge often to 90+ because I did not know how good the next charging station is. Also I used HA between 68 and 72 which made the drive very low stress and great range. In Canada, I like IVY network which is nicely located in the rest areas with restaurants. I did not charge at any L2 charger in any one of the Mariotts I stayed at. They were either not threr or not worth the price.

Yesterday I drove from Providence RI to Bradford NH and back to Providence which was 327 miles, started at 88%, finished at 13%, drove at highways speeds 65-74mph, back roads, mountain roads, some dirt and gravel roads 😳 and hit a massive rain storm on the way home. I got 4.1 mi/kWh. That’s why this is the ultimate road trip EV, as I was able to do the whole thing without charging and only 75% of the battery was used, didn’t need to charge to 100% cuz of being scared.
IMG_2032.jpeg

Nice trip Bunny
I get about the same 4.0 kWh +/- with similar driving style in my GT.
I figure about 460 miles real range on full charge which is amazing and more then enough for a long days drive and a recharge if not heading back home.
The car is amazing to drive without needing to overly worry about charging until the day comes that charging nearly everywhere

Back