My first EA charging experience

level

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Went to an EA charging location this morning. It was empty when I arrived except an EA staff working on an unavailable EA station.
I didn't precondition my battery and my power level was at 49%, so I wasn't expecting any fast charging speed.
I have to admit I was a little bit nervous after reading so many awful stories about EA here. But everything worked perfectly.
I parked in the slot, plugged in, chose station on theApp, then it connected and started charging instantly. Then I went to get a coffee and reading everyone talking about CarPlay. Charge from 49% to 85% took about 35 mins. Overall, I had a positive EA charging experience.
20230324_113255.gif
IMG_20230324_090715.jpg

I’m fortunate in my own personal experience, EA is just generally smooth, probably seeing 90%+ of stalls I visited working. Many people are still only experiencing 60~70% working which gives give range anxiety. In gas station, we were spoiled and used to see 98%+ of dispensers working. So there is a perception adjustment.

I survived driving LA to Houston and road tripping Texas 5 times. EA isn’t all that he’ll, it has gotten better improving over the last year from what I see.

Went to an EA charging location this morning. It was empty when I arrived except an EA staff working on an unavailable EA station.
I didn't precondition my battery and my power level was at 49%, so I wasn't expecting any fast charging speed.
I have to admit I was a little bit nervous after reading so many awful stories about EA here. But everything worked perfectly.
I parked in the slot, plugged in, chose station on theApp, then it connected and started charging instantly. Then I went to get a coffee and reading everyone talking about CarPlay. Charge from 49% to 85% took about 35 mins. Overall, I had a positive EA charging experience.
View attachment 10862View attachment 10863
Good to hear positive story. I'll be testing multi state spread of EA network next week and planning to report back here. Looks like consistency in EA experience depends on where you are. Longer drives takes you to relatively remote areas and experience could be different. Keeping fingers crossed for my upcoming trip. Hopefully I'll also have a good experience.

Good to hear positive story. I'll be testing multi state spread of EA network next week and planning to report back here. Looks like consistency in EA experience depends on where you are. Longer drives takes you to relatively remote areas and experience could be different. Keeping fingers crossed for my upcoming trip. Hopefully I'll also have a good experience.
Best luck road tripping! My experience tells me charge more often with shorter session just to be safe, don’t wait to last 15% SOC, then go look for stall. Even though I was prepared to give myself enough cushion in case not working, I haven’t encountered serious EA issue since first road tripping last year May.

View attachment 10862View attachment 10863
For future reference, plug and charge doesn’t require that you open the Lucid app and choose a charger. It’s simply plug in and let the process take over. Try that next time to make sure it works as intended.

For future reference, plug and charge doesn’t require that you open the Lucid app and choose a charger. It’s simply plug in and let the process take over. Try that next time to make sure it works as intended.
That’s not accurate; it depends on the station. Some stations require you to select the station number from within the Lucid app and that is still considered working “plug and charge,” fyi.

That’s not accurate; it depends on the station. Some stations require you to select the station number from within the Lucid app and that is still considered working “plug and charge,” fyi.
I know we’re splitting hairs, but FYI

Attachments

• 0984D70A-94A2-4677-B9C5-821A52A8B9BD.jpeg
    0984D70A-94A2-4677-B9C5-821A52A8B9BD.jpeg
    911.9 KB · Views: 107
I know we’re splitting hairs, but FYI
Right; they mean EA apps. And they’re right.

Lucid considers the “select a charger from the Lucid app” to be *working* “plug and charge,” for what it’s worth. The times when it automatically starts are ideal, but the station has to support that. Some don’t, and then you’ll need to start it from the Lucid app, which is still considered “working” plug and charge.

Right; they mean EA apps. And they’re right.

Lucid considers the “select a charger from the Lucid app” to be *working* “plug and charge,” for what it’s worth. The times when it automatically starts are ideal, but the station has to support that. Some don’t, and then you’ll need to start it from the Lucid app, which is still considered “working” plug and charge.
Too many catchy names for one person to remember. I just wanted to pass along the best case scenario to @level.

I’ve charged at EA twice since I got the car, and both times worked absolutely perfectly. Couldn’t be easier - I pulled in, plugged in, the EA charger “reads” that it’s a Lucid, and when I select “continue” it initializes and charges away. The speed is great; I went from 27% to 80% in 30 minutes. Tells you when charging stops, tells you to unplug, and off you go. I couldn’t be more pleased (So far)

Earlier posts suggested far more problems along the eastern seaboard. We haven't used an EA charger since a December road trip, and we encountered problems at chargers in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina. We were eventually able to charge at every location, but the stopovers sometimes approached two hours as we had to wait for maintenance crews to finish their "routine" maintenance that shut down an entire location in the middle of the day in Charleston; as we spent over an hour on the phone in a driving rain as EA tried to get the chargers to link to our car in Savannah; as we had to try multiple charging posts in Bushnell, FL because every post we tried terminated the charging after 1-2 minutes; as we tried to help another panicked Lucid owner who arrived at the Brunswick, GA charging location with 16 miles of range remaining but couldn't get EA to recognize his car.

I'm truly hoping the above posts indicate Electrify America is finally getting its act together -- and not just on the west coast.

So far EA chargers have worked perfectly for me every time. I just wish there were 10X as many, coast to coast!

Me too for Texans!

Next 5 years, Texas DCFC infrastructure will see great change as baked into the bills.

086C9ACD-4BE7-49C8-9765-195CBDB370F2.jpeg

Me too for Texans!

Next 5 years, Texas DCFC infrastructure will see great change as baked into the bills

I would love to see more in Texas as well. I will be interested to see if they actually build the year 1 proposed sites this year if they will immediately fall behind.

As I was looking at these yellow dots of EA. I was thinking. I would got stranded if couple of those yellow dots are out of service on I-10 corridor for my trip from LA to Houston. But I glad it didn’t. I think EA has been blessing for me.

My first EA charging experience . . . well . . . wasn't. There are dozens of public chargers in the greater Pittsburgh / Allegheny County metro area. But only 2 EA charging locations . . . one about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh (Cranberry Township) and one about 30 miles south. So I went to the Cranberry location today to check it out and acquaint myself with the "free" option. Expecting to have a "first charge" (losing my EV virginity ?) . . . but to no avail. Arrived to find the station (located on the back 40 of a Sheetz convenience store) under construction. No service. Glad I was not in duress (< 15% charge remaining). Interestingly, the EA app (As well as the Lucid nav and "find a charger") provided NO indication that this location was out of service. In fact, the EA app/site showed this location as "open" and operating hours were 24/7. Really ?

Upon arrival - and inability to charge - I called the EA (833) number. I gave the very nice customer service rep the station number, and she confirmed that the station was being renovated and not in operation. I told the rep that all of the chargers looked brand new . . . 3 of 4 were hyper chargers (350kw) and all sitting on brand new concrete pads. All looked very "ready to go" - except for the heavy equipment and barriers set up around the station. I am really surprised, that when EA takes a station "down" for renovation , that they don't have a means of updating their own web site to show that station as "not in service". I mean, really, if they take down even 1 or 2 stations everyday (which I doubt), do they not have an IT guy/gal that can make those stations "off line" or something ?? So I asked - when will this station be back in service ? The CSR could not answer that - only that it was down and the refurbishment that had only started about a week ago. OK, well how long will it be down .. . ie are we talking weeks, months, etc ? What is typical? She couldn't tell me. But she guessed - "maybe a month or so".

So I asked about the other EA charging station - the one 30 miles south of Pittsburgh. Oh, that one is being refurbished as well. Super. any details about that one ? Yes, construction started in late January. And it is still closed. Expected to open in June 2023. So - it takes 5 months (?) to swap out the chargers, in an existing setting. OK. So why does she think the Cranberry location will be open in a month ? (rhetorical).

All I can say is wow. When I was enticed by 3 years of free charging (yes, I understand, it's a pittance when looking at the larger picture of acquisition price, depreciation, etc, etc) I did look at what the EA infrastructure was locally. Not ideal, but something I could use when traveling north or south of the city. Now, to find that neither of the 2 locations within 50 miles of Pittsburgh are operating - and little information around exactly when they will be operating - and more importantly - that the systems (Lucid and EA) that we rely on to direct us where to find a charge - did not indicate either of these as being "out of order" ? To me, that's a problem. I will go back to my SA and see if I can get my "free" charging extended to 3 years after the first of these 2 stations is operational. As you might expect, I'm really disappointed.

Don't get me wrong - I will presumably enjoy having 2 local stations that have both been upgraded and (again, presumably) enjoy the benefits of chargers that recognize my vehicle and provide charging at whatever speed my vehicle is able to take. But, at least for the moment, the immediate disappointment of no charging locally seems to outweigh the potential of an ideal future charging state.

That aside . . . Oh yeah . . . The ooooomph that these cars have is just unbelievable. Off topic . . . but, jeez, so fun. And I "only" have a Touring. And - since I'm still in a self induced "break in period", I haven't even tried "sprint" mode. So that comment is based on smooth /swift.

Doug

Don't trust the EA app. Install and use the plugshare app instead. It gives real time availability and user reviews of charging stations.

No doubt EA has a lot of room to improve. We all hope they do, and soon.

Electrify America has been around for several years now. The fact that they still can't do something as basic as keep their website and app updated about station status indicates things are still a long way from coming together with that company.

No one should buy an Air or any other CCS EV on the assumption that they can make road trips using Electrify America. And manufacturers should quit teasing buyers with promises of "free" EA charging. It'll will end up infuriating more buyers than enticing them as word spreads.

Electrify America has been around for several years now. The fact that they still can't do something as basic as keep their website and app updated about station status indicates things are still a long way from coming together with that company.

No one should buy an Air or any other CCS EV on the assumption that they can make road trips using Electrify America. And manufacturers should quit teasing buyers with promises of "free" EA charging. It'll will end up infuriating more buyers than enticing them as word spreads.
I think the free part sets up expectations to not expectations quality. What is the saying, you can have cheap, fast, good. Pick 2?

Back