My Defender is rock solid

davidliu

Verified Owner
Cars
Stellar White Air GT
I know electrification is the future. Just took my 2020 new Defender (base model) for a spin and it has 55k miles on it (Yes, I drove it for several cross country trips during the pandemic). It was a 50k SUV, but everything is rock solid, nothing creeks, infotainment works smoothly and has CarPlay. Sometimes, I do wonder why did I spent a whopping 160k for the GT and still hearing the creaky steering wheel every time I made a turn. Anxious about backup camera not showing up every time I back up. Humans are strange, as least I am.

I know electrification is the future. Just took my 2020 new Defender (base model) for a spin and it has 55k miles on it (Yes, I drove it for several cross country trips during the pandemic). It was a 50k SUV, but everything is rock solid, nothing creeks, infotainment works smoothly and has CarPlay. Sometimes, I do wonder why did I spent a whopping 160k for the GT and still hearing the creaky steering wheel every time I made a turn. Anxious about backup camera not showing up every time I back up. Humans are strange, as least I am.
They have a fix for your steering wheel.

They have a fix for your steering wheel.
Is that a service center type tweak? Or a replacement part? Mine sometimes creaks a little.

Is that a service center type tweak? Or a replacement part? Mine sometimes creaks a little.
I think it depends on how much creak you have. Mine was slightly so they popped some felt in it and it's been whisper quiet since. I think @thecodingart had a complete replacement.

...Just took my 2020 new Defender (base model) for a spin and it has 55k miles on it (Yes, I drove it for several cross country trips during the pandemic). It was a 50k SUV, but everything is rock solid, nothing creeks, infotainment works smoothly and has CarPlay. Sometimes, I do wonder why did I spent a whopping 160k for the GT and still hearing the creaky steering wheel every time I made a turn....
I think keeping two polar opposite cars lets you appreciate each one for its charms. A high-clearance ICE can do many things an EV can't, and can be a great companion on trips into the boonies. But overall I'd prefer not to own an internal combustion car again.

I think it depends on how much creak you have. Mine was slightly so they popped some felt in it and it's been whisper quiet since. I think @thecodingart had a complete replacement.
I did have a complete replacement and it’s been whisper quiet and solid since. The buttons also feel far better than the original steering wheel.

Think of how much gas you spent for those 55k miles. And now much of a deal is lucid?

Not to mention the lucid is just a little bit faster.

I think keeping two polar opposite cars lets you appreciate each one for its charms. A high-clearance ICE can do many things an EV can't, and can be a great companion on trips into the boonies. But overall I'd prefer not to own an internal combustion car again.
My thoughts exactly. I’m keeping my gladiator for wilderness trips/heavy snow (tempted to replace it with long range Rivian now). I’ve only had the lucid a little over a week but my god it’s fun to drive. I live in the hills and the way this 5000 lb machine floats on hilly, hairpin bend roads is magical. Can’t imagine how I could enjoy any ICE car after this

Yup, that's my strategy, Lucid for daily drive and Defender for adventures. But yesterday's drive reminds how solid a plain old ICE felt. Maybe I will feel much better once my steering wheel got replaced. It creaks a lot (every time I put my hands on it) and those buttons too.

We drove from Houston to Dallas and back for Thanksgiving and didn't have to charge! That's because we were in the Navigator. It was interesting how less stressful the trip was not having to worry about range and weather and broken charge stations. I do love driving my DE around town and even on road trips but until there is a much better charging infrastructure, I will always find it a different experience.

Haha. I feel the same. Have bought and a Rivian. Love the lucid for its driving dynamics but really the car overall makes me a little nervous. More the company I guess. I’m nervous they’ll go bankrupt and I’ll be stuck with a very expensive unserviceable car.

Haha. I feel the same. Have bought and a Rivian. Love the lucid for its driving dynamics but really the car overall makes me a little nervous. More the company I guess. I’m nervous they’ll go bankrupt and I’ll be stuck with a very expensive unserviceable car.
Seems like the most interesting EVs have been coming from startups, and things may continue this way for some time. For fewer thrills and still a decent car, you could always back down to a BMW or Hyundai/Kia/Genesis. Whatever optimizes your own particular excitement level / peaceful sleep ratio.

Back