My Air has ruined me...

ebr

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, Genesis GV80
So I am lucky enough to have a place in both NC and Florida (the Keys). I keep a '21 Bronco down in the Keys for when I'm down there and have the Lucid in NC. Lately, as I go back and forth, I've been bothered more and more by the completely polar opposite driving experience between the two cars. Don't get me wrong, the Bronco is very cool and I still love the idea of it but, in daily practice, I'm just getting tired of the noise and I may be taking some longer trips in the car I keep down there in the not too distant future.

So I went out test driving some options yesterday and started with a Range Rover and the Sport (used ones). I had a Defender for about 8 months and it was really nice but spent five weeks in the shop just in that short period so I sold it when I got my Bronco. I decided to see if I could convince myself to give LR another shot. I don't really want to make this about LR specifically but since that car (especially the big one) is known for its ride quality I was surprised how unimpressive it was during the test drive. Never mind that the infotainment system rebooted twice during the test (funny to see the sales guy try to explain this as some sort of setting the previous owner had left in place), the speed recognition didn't work (I had this problem with my defender too) and the rear wiper stuck in the middle when I turned it on.

Like I said, I don't really want to bag on LR in this post but there it is. The issues notwithstanding, it was really the drive experience that left me nonplussed. When I got back in the Air to drive back home (dealership about 40 minutes away) I was just blown away by the difference. Maybe it isn't fair to compare a large SUV to a sedan but this was THE large SUV I was testing.

Anyway, I'm now a car snob thanks to the incredible engineering of this vehicle. I'm just going to have to temper my expectations for the secondary driver. I think I'm going to check out a GV80 next - liking what I'm seeing there so far...

Please don't turn this into a thread on the other cars though. My main point was just another affirmation of how wonderful this Lucid is.

Like I said, I don't really want to bag on LR in this post but there it is. The issues notwithstanding, it was really the drive experience that left me nonplussed. When I got back in the Air to drive back home (dealership about 40 minutes away) I was just blown away by the difference. Maybe it isn't fair to compare a large SUV to a sedan but this was THE large SUV I was testing.
The larger the worse for handling. So a large SUV will always handle a lot worse than even an average sedan, let alone the Lucid Air which is hardly average.

The incredibly low center of gravity of EVs puts their handling beyond the reach of all but the most sophisticated ICE cars.

My first EV -- a Tesla Model S P90D -- replaced my Audi R8 V10 Spyder. The Audi had been engineered for a low center of gravity, using such stratagems as a dry sump lubrication system so that the engine could be mounted low into the space normally occupied by an oil pan. But when I put the Tesla on the road, I was shocked at how well it handled. The only thing I felt held the Tesla back from blowing the Audi handling out of the water was the skinny tires on the Tesla (245mm 19-inchers compared to the Audi's 305mm 20-inchers on the rear).

That early Tesla's center of gravity was 14" above the ground -- almost at the level of the wheel hubs. I have never seen a figure for the Air but, with its bigger battery pack, I suspect it's at least that low, even with the heavier glass canopy than the Tesla's metal roof.

Reactions: ebr
Sounds like you are ready for a Gravity. Preorders should be starting in a few months.

So I am lucky enough to have a place in both NC and Florida (the Keys). I keep a '21 Bronco down in the Keys for when I'm down there and have the Lucid in NC. Lately, as I go back and forth, I've been bothered more and more by the completely polar opposite driving experience between the two cars. Don't get me wrong, the Bronco is very cool and I still love the idea of it but, in daily practice, I'm just getting tired of the noise and I may be taking some longer trips in the car I keep down there in the not too distant future.

So I went out test driving some options yesterday and started with a Range Rover and the Sport (used ones). I had a Defender for about 8 months and it was really nice but spent five weeks in the shop just in that short period so I sold it when I got my Bronco. I decided to see if I could convince myself to give LR another shot. I don't really want to make this about LR specifically but since that car (especially the big one) is known for its ride quality I was surprised how unimpressive it was during the test drive. Never mind that the infotainment system rebooted twice during the test (funny to see the sales guy try to explain this as some sort of setting the previous owner had left in place), the speed recognition didn't work (I had this problem with my defender too) and the rear wiper stuck in the middle when I turned it on.

Anyway, I'm now a car snob thanks to the incredible engineering of this vehicle. I'm just going to have to temper my expectations for the secondary driver. I think I'm going to check out a GV80 next - liking what I'm seeing there so far...

Please don't turn this into a thread on the other cars though. My main point was just another affirmation of how wonderful this Lucid is.
I have the same combo - AGT and '22 Defender. Lucid in AZ for the winter, Defender in Colorado. Maybe I've been lucky but I have 12K miles on the Defender and it has been flawless. Other than crappy gas mileage, I love that vehicle.

How about a Fisker Ocean for your place in FL? 'California Mode' looks fun. I have a reservation for one but tbh probably won't get it.

Sounds like you need an SUV/Crossover that is about the size of a BMW X5. I may be prejudiced as I have a Genesis GV60 performance but the Electrified GV80 has been getting very good reviews. After I got my GV60 I joined the Genesis Owners group and the big complaint there has been that the service is not at the expected level. long waits for service, no loaners sometimes, etc. But as one can see from this forum, one does tend to see more complaints on forums than in the real world. If you can stand the looks, the BMW IX is an excellent car (I couldn't stand the looks). The Cadillac Lyriq AWD looks like an excellent alternative but it is in short supply. I put in a reservation more than a year ago and it is likely that I will hear something in 2024.

Sounds like you need an SUV/Crossover that is about the size of a BMW X5. I may be prejudiced as I have a Genesis GV60 performance but the Electrified GV80 has been getting very good reviews. After I got my GV60 I joined the Genesis Owners group and the big complaint there has been that the service is not at the expected level. long waits for service, no loaners sometimes, etc. But as one can see from this forum, one does tend to see more complaints on forums than in the real world. If you can stand the looks, the BMW IX is an excellent car (I couldn't stand the looks). The Cadillac Lyriq AWD looks like an excellent alternative but it is in short supply. I put in a reservation more than a year ago and it is likely that I will hear something in 2024.
Electrified gv80 doesnt exist. You mean gv70? iX is my favorite.

Thanks for the replies. As I said I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the other cars but I can't have an electric down there. The car spends weeks at the airport sometimes and the charging infrastructure is non-existent. Plus, I need to be able to tow my boat.

I purchased a GV80 yesterday to replace the Bronco. It is really wonderful and, I have to say, Lucid could take a few queues from the software engineers at Genesis - that system is really good. Funny that it gets bashed by YT reviewers all the time because they cannot figure it out.

The Cadillac Lyriq AWD looks like an excellent alternative but it is in short supply. I put in a reservation more than a year ago and it is likely that I will hear something in 2024.

I'm actually in the same boat. My order is somewhere back in a long line at the dealer awaiting an "allocation". I don't expect that to come through until I'm wanting another car after this one :).

That's all I'll say about the other cars. The Air is still the gold standard for ride and handling as far as I'm concerned but now there won't be such a stark difference as I go between vehicles.

Back