Mismatch in body paint/fascia?

SCOOTERSD

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla S and 3
Does anyone have a noticeable difference between the body paint and the rear trunk and lower rear facia? Its hard to see in the photo below but it is definitely a different shade. The main body is a pure white while the back trunk and fascia have more of a cream tone. I even had my neighbor (a car guy) come over and he saw it right away. I didn’t notice it at delivery as I was looking mostly at alignment and gap issues. Curious if anyone else has seen this and what my next step should be? We dont have a service center nearby but I was thinking of taking it to the local Studio to see what they think. I was also hoping that Bobby and others (including our local LUCID mobile service rep) could take a look at our San Diego meetup on the 8th.
D09AB215-084B-4795-9044-3B37BA455C66.jpeg

The trunk and body are definitely a different color.

Yeah, that's a clear mismatch. I would contact customer care and have them redo the trunk.

It's definitely noticeable in the picture. Anyone watch the factory video and recall which pieces are structural/body-in-white? I can only presume that the shell/trunk is not structural (I suppose that's obvious), and therefore is mated later and may not be painted at the same time and subject to variations? The doors are not structural either then, but seem to match color better.

Does anyone have a noticeable difference between the body paint and the rear trunk and lower rear facia? Its hard to see in the photo below but it is definitely a different shade. The main body is a pure white while the back trunk and fascia have more of a cream tone. I even had my neighbor (a car guy) come over and he saw it right away. I didn’t notice it at delivery as I was looking mostly at alignment and gap issues. Curious if anyone else has seen this and what my next step should be? We dont have a service center nearby but I was thinking of taking it to the local Studio to see what they think. I was also hoping that Bobby and others (including our local LUCID mobile service rep) could take a look at our San Diego meetup on the 8th.View attachment 8293
Yes let’s take a look on Sunday and figure this out for you!

Contacted customer care and the rep said he could see it from the photo also. Hopefully they’ll take care of this quickly - don’t really want a three-tone sedan :cool:

Contacted customer care and the rep said he could see it from the photo also. Hopefully they’ll take care of this quickly - don’t really want a three-tone sedan :cool:
You could lean into it and wrap the frunk and trunk in black, or something.

Does anyone have a noticeable difference between the body paint and the rear trunk and lower rear facia?
OK, I thought I was imagining things with mine, like the trunk cut line was changing the light's angle of incidence on the paint or something. Out of curiosity, when was yours delivered?

Yes let’s take a look on Sunday and figure this out for you!
+1, a second (and maybe third) opinion would be wonderful.

Are they planning to send it to a body shop? I took my touring in to a lucid certified body shop in San Carlos today to have a paint chip touched up. Apparently they helped lucid design some of the paint colors. The paint guy at the shop said he tried using the color code on the door jam to make the touch up paint for my car but noticed it was pretty off so ended up using a color meter reading to make the paint. Seems like it's hard to get consistency even with color codes.

OK, I thought I was imagining things with mine, like the trunk cut line was changing the light's angle of incidence on the paint or something. Out of curiosity, when was yours delivered?

+1, a second (and maybe third) opinion would be wonderful.
Mine was delivered the 23 December. I hope to get other opinions (including any lucid reps) at the san diego get together tomorrow.

Are they planning to send it to a body shop? I took my touring in to a lucid certified body shop in San Carlos today to have a paint chip touched up. Apparently they helped lucid design some of the paint colors. The paint guy at the shop said he tried using the color code on the door jam to make the touch up paint for my car but noticed it was pretty off so ended up using a color meter reading to make the paint. Seems like it's hard to get consistency even with color codes.
I just talked to Jen, a customer service rep. She said they will have the local service rep look at it first and then probably have it sent to a certified lucid body shop to repaint.

Just an update for anyone having similar issues. I talked to our local Lucid rep Frank at the SD get together. He also introduced me to Chris from an approved San Diego area body shop who talked about this being an issue with some white cars (all makes). Frank was also assigned by the Service Center to look at the car again on 1/13. They have been evaluating the issue since then. After several issues contacting Jen, I talked to her yesterday and she said no determination has been finalized but it “looked good” to get this fixed. She told me their plan would be to do it at a body shop near the Costa Mesa center (2 hours from home) and asked me if I would need a rental car - which I would need. I asked her about the body shop in San Diego but she said under the new rental car rules they are only available from the service centers - strange. I told her if we did the work closer to home , I would be able to borrow a friend’s car and wouldn’t need a rental. I hope to hear back from her soon with the final plan. As an aside, for the past several weeks I have looked at every white car I’ve seen (all makes and models) and although a very small number showed minor color issues, I haven’t found any that approach the mismatch on my 100K+ luxury Lucid. It’s the only issue for me that is a major distraction from this amazing driving machine.

Quick update - Lucid approved the repaint of the mismatched rear panels/trunk. Work will be done by Chris Amato’s in Oceanside starting tomorrow. I’ve told them I need the car back by 3/4 for a Sonoma road trip we had planned with some of our friends……

Just a side question over time — does white paint fade similar to shown in picture? When I went to see other non lucid cars we can see paint turns this color on like older cars 5 plus years . I don’t normally see it with other colors just white is more noticeable.

Just a side question over time — does white paint fade similar to shown in picture? When I went to see other non lucid cars we can see paint turns this color on like older cars 5 plus years . I don’t normally see it with other colors just white is more noticeable.
Modern automobile paints are really not subject to a great deal of fading, especially on luxury models. The clear coats will usually have a UV absorber/blocker formulated in. Older cars that are never garaged are another story. The substrate (metal fender versus plastic rear bumper) can also affect the rate of degradation which can lead to a color difference. As a color, white just magnifies the problem as the tiniest changes are easily noticed.

Pete

Modern automobile paints are really not subject to a great deal of fading, especially on luxury models. The clear coats will usually have a UV absorber/blocker formulated in. Older cars that are never garaged are another story. The substrate (metal fender versus plastic rear bumper) can also affect the rate of degradation which can lead to a color difference. As a color, white just magnifies the problem as the tiniest changes are easily noticed.

Pete
So even a luxury car keeping it garaged most the time is good idea right to preserve paint ?

Just to finish the story - Picked up my Touring from Chris Amato’s in Oceanside. The color match is 100% better. Chris and company were wonderful to deal with and the car looks great. Didn’t even have to sign anything - Chris said he would bill Lucid directly so all is good. Leaving for Napa/Sonoma on Monday - can’t wait to do my first long range road trip in Moby…..

Just to finish the story - Picked up my Touring from Chris Amato’s in Oceanside. The color match is 100% better. Chris and company were wonderful to deal with and the car looks great. Didn’t even have to sign anything - Chris said he would bill Lucid directly so all is good. Leaving for Napa/Sonoma on Monday - can’t wait to do my first long range road trip in Moby…..
Nice. Good to know they were able to get a much better match. Congrats.

We Stellar White owners have to represent…

Back