Mid sized Lucid

This is not great news. Things went downhill at Tesla when Tesla went downmarket, and mass market, and the Model 3 showed up.

I'm personally really excited for a smaller Lucid. Lucid packaging cleverness means they'll probably be more than enough space on the inside, and the reduced weight should mean it should handle even better than the Air. If there is a performance variant I would be extremely tempted . . .

This is not great news. Things went downhill at Tesla when Tesla went downmarket, and mass market, and the Model 3 showed up.
They hit production hell at that time. Things changed completely and their stock soared 10x after Giga Shanghai kicked in. Lucid should seriously consider making the same direction move.

If I’m the management, I would steer away from China, too much geopolitical risk. Just focus in MiddleEast and export to Europe and SE Asia.

2017, China has no EV that can compete with Tesla Model S, X 3.
2018 Shanghai Gigafactory Initiated.
2019 December production began.
2022 now, Tesla is not even technical leader in China. Sales started wither this year to Model-3 knockoffs at $26k entry price. The higher end spectrum, other Chinese EVs have more features than Tesla and already deploying RoboTaxi. It is a very tough market. In fact, Tesla probably helped China in electrification infrastructure reform beats America. Wishful thinking of Elon to conquer China expecting all to be walked over and play dead. 450+ start up EV companies, such a touch market there!

If I’m the management, I would steer away from China, too much geopolitical risk. Just focus in MiddleEast and export to Europe and SE Asia.

2017, China has no EV that can compete with Tesla Model S, X 3.
2018 Shanghai Gigafactory Initiated.
2019 December production began.
2022 now, Tesla is not even technical leader in China. Sales started wither this year to Model-3 knockoffs at $26k entry price. The higher end spectrum, other Chinese EVs have more features than Tesla and already deploying RoboTaxi. It is a very tough market. In fact, Tesla probably helped China in electrification infrastructure reform beats America. Wishful thinking of Elon to conquer China expecting all to be walked over and play dead. 450+ start up EV companies, such a touch market there!
I totally agree that geopolitical tension is a big factor in making the decision. The political risks are so much higher then the old days. Given those risks, China is still by far the fastest growing EV market and manufacturing powerhouse. Tesla couldn't be what it is today if Elon didn't make decision to open up Giga Shanghai. Manufacturing is basically non-existent in the middle east. I don't know how Lucid will be able to manage their supply chain over there. Needless to mention the shortage of skilled workers.

Last edited:
I totally agree that the geopolitical tension is a big factor in making the decision. The political risks are so much higher then the old days. Given those risks, China is still by far the fastest growing EV market and manufacturing powerhouse. Tesla couldn't be what it is today if Elon didn't make decision to open up Giga Shanghai. Manufacturing is basically non-existent in the middle east. I don't know how Lucid will be able to manage their supply chain over there. Needless to mention the shortage of skilled workers.
Market pioneer has its advantage. China let Tesla pioneer with special tax incentives, No JV mandate to other domestic companies unlike Ford and GM, China basically courted Tesla to come in. The Kingdom has much more to mimic how China is building its electrical infrastructure. I’m sure the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud would pave way with much subsidies and tax incentive for Lucid to transform their petrol industry to much needed advanced electric grid. There will be synergy of rising ancillary businesses to support Lucid, and Lucid can have horizontal integration into battery, renewable, Solar and various businesses.

Market pioneer has its advantage. China let Tesla pioneer with special tax incentives, No JV mandate to other domestic companies unlike Ford and GM, China basically courted Tesla to come in. The Kingdom has much more to mimic how China is building its electrical infrastructure. I’m sure the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud would pave way with much subsidies and tax incentive for Lucid to transform their petrol industry to much needed advanced electric grid. There will be synergy of rising ancillary businesses to support Lucid, and Lucid can have horizontal integration into battery, renewable, Solar and various businesses.
I highly doubt that the middle east is capable of catching this industrial revolution of EVs. They are not in the position to do even the basic manufacturing let alone manufacturing vehicles. A country as mighty as the US ran into supply chain issues. I don't think Mohammed bin Salman can do better.

Lucid needs a mid-sized SUV not a mid-sized sedan. Everyone knows the demand is in the mid-sized SUV market
Important is developing a midsize platform. establish a production line for the midsize platform. From there you build the sedan or SUV.

I highly doubt that the middle east is capable of catching this industrial revolution of EVs. They are not in the position to do even the basic manufacturing let alone manufacturing vehicles. A country as mighty as the US ran into supply chain issues. I don't think Mohammed bin Salman can do better.
Lithium refinery, micro-chips manufacturing, battery production. Saudi just courted BMW and FoxConn in. They are actually doing faster than US in infrastructure reform pace. We are often in gridlock of infrastructure spending. One party system like China just do it and making super charging network everywhere in short period of time. I’m sure Saudi doesn’t have political gridlock or monetary constraints.

Important is developing a midsize platform. establish a production line for the midsize platform. From there you build the sedan or SUV.
Even before that, you need to have production capacity first, else it would be just selling idea and let customers deposit and wait for years, pissed them off and walk away. Lucid AMP-1 is still expanding.

Lithium refinery, micro-chips manufacturing, battery production. Saudi just courted BMW and FoxConn in. They are actually doing faster than US in infrastructure reform pace. We are often in gridlock of infrastructure spending. One party system like China just do it and making super charging network everywhere in short period of time. I’m sure Saudi doesn’t have political gridlock or monetary constraints.
It's good to know that they have made some progress recently but it's still far from where China is in both scale and growth. Actually those two countries don't compare in the realm of manufacturing. I hope they can use their money to buy out as many lithium mining sites as possible so that they can at least get some control over the raw materials. Sorry, I'm off topic. :)

For now only 3 things are important. Meet the target specs, execute, execute. Not new models.
Without new models, they run out of customers by the end of next year. Thus Gravity.

After that, they need to expand even further. Since it takes several years to develop a car, that means this car needs to be in design right now.

Not developing this car would literally kill the company.

Fair point, but Lucid doesn’t have a distracted megalomaniac at the helm to coincide with mass adoption, so I think it may be a bit different for them.

Without new models, they run out of customers by the end of next year. Thus Gravity.

After that, they need to expand even further. Since it takes several years to develop a car, that means this car needs to be in design right now.

Not developing this car would literally kill the company.
I think they should announce their product roadmap for the next several years out. I would much rather base my current buying decisions on known information rather than speculation.

For instance, I am holding off on the Rivian SUV until I get more details on the Gravity. Knowing there is a Gravity coming. I don't need specific details about it. But it's nice to know they're working on something.

Same for this midsize car. My wife loves my Air but she wants something smaller. Knowing they have something coming a few years down the line, she can continue in her Model 3 until then. If they don't say anything, maybe I buy a Polestar or something next year and then kick myself as they announce a midsize right after I buy the Polestar.

Similar on the Roadster. If Lucid announced a sports car today, I might cancel my Roadster and get that stupid deposit back.

Completely agree the entire Tesla experience went downhill after they went mass market.

I'm not sure that's what Lucid is saying. Mid size doesn't mean mass market. It could just mean smaller than Air. As I just mentioned, my wife would love something the size of the Model 3 but with a luxury interior like my Air.

There's a lot of room between Model 3 at $55k and Pure at $87k. They can still stay in the 'Luxury' car range (think E class or 5 Series competitor) at $70k-$75k. Sell a lot more cars but still offer a premium experience while appealing to a slightly different market segment. I know a lot of city dwellers with small garages that want a smaller car.

I also agree that mid size SUV should be their next biggest priority. But I can see how midsize 'platform' that handles both could be developed together.

Back