Meet Connie

What a sad but eloquently told story. Many people have referred to EVs as smart phones on wheels. While a significant exaggeration, cars like the Lucid Air do have a ton of electronics and electronics tend to fail early or not at all.

Unfortunately, chasing down electronic gremlins is not simple.

Connie's Two Month Update

The Ides of March – THAT’S IT!! When my Lucid Air Touring’s delivery surreptitiously slipped over from the evening of March 14th to the wee hours of March 15th my long awaited excitement blinded me to the ominous consequences. For over two millennia everyone has known to beware of misfortune and doom on this day. How could I have missed it? And now I’m suffering the consequences. While some of my fellow Lucid owners are enjoying your Lucid Air Dreams, I am stuck with a Lucid Air Nightmare.

There is really little to report since Connie’s one month report. You may recall that she was given this name before delivery in anticipation that she might exhibit characteristics anywhere between those of a Conestoga wagon and Lockheed Constellation aircraft. Well, in fact, she has underperformed even the Conestoga wagon. In almost six weeks now she has only been able to travel a total of 409 miles. Almost all of that was in the four days following Pilot and Cockpit Panel Controller transplants. For the last six weeks she has not moved except during the Mobile Service Technician’s unsuccessful attempt to locate the source of her chronic thumps and rattles. Connie was transported last Wednesday to a service facility where they hope to rectify the problems. In all honesty, as she was being loaded into the trailer I recalled how excited I was to see her arrive in a similar trailer two months earlier and couldn’t believe how relieved I now felt to see her being carted away. I will no longer be teased by her blinking at me as I pass her stall.

So in the first two months of Lucid ownership my experience has paralleled the chart of the LCID stock I purchased shortly after placing my car order. My excitement rose dramatically after delivery and early replacement of the faulty controller systems, just like the LCID stock price peaked shortly after being named Car of the Year. My excitement quickly turned to frustration and my sense of humor to despair as the reality of Lucid’s poor Quality Control set in, just as the market has learned the limitations of Lucid Motors, resulting in a steady slide on the charts. I entered this venture knowing there would be risks and expecting ups and downs, but I never imagined how bad it could be. Based on my experience, I recently sold my LCID stock and hope that if they are unable to correct the car’s problems very quickly I can get a full refund from Lucid Motors and consider trying it again when they get their act together. I’ve never received a title or registration, so I guess the car still belongs to them anyway.
Any update on what the issue is of that noise they found? I’m sorry for your headaches, hope they can make this the definitive cure of the issue. I’d think a thumping noise would be a quick diagnosis and treatment since it’s likely mechanical. Hoping your Lucid experience doesn’t go the way of TransWorld Airlines which resulted in a fleet of Connies sitting on a runway abandoned….

Any update on what the issue is of that noise they found? I’m sorry for your headaches, hope they can make this the definitive cure of the issue. I’d think a thumping noise would be a quick diagnosis and treatment since it’s likely mechanical. Hoping your Lucid experience doesn’t go the way of TransWorld Airlines which resulted in a fleet of Connies sitting on a runway abandoned….
No body ever abandoned a Connie! There were however made instantly obsolete upon the advent of the jet age with Boeing debut of the 707. Connie’s continued to fly world wide on secondary routes and then with regional and foreign airlines untill their airframes timed out. There are still a couple I believe restored to flight worthy status but you can see a stationary one at the TWA hotel/ terminal at JFK. We stayed there last month, it’s fascinating
IMG_5505.jpeg
IMG_5504.jpeg
IMG_5501.jpeg
IMG_5496.jpeg

Cool! I lived in NYC for 19 years, moved a little before they completed the JFK hotel. I always thought that TWA terminal looked amazing from the outside, so glad they did something with it. I was basing my extremely limited aviation knowledge off of Scorsese’s The Aviator Hollywood portrayal, which of course is always embellished. Not abandoned, just less desirable due to the 707.

Last edited:
Back