Matte PPF & Satin Black

Coltonw011

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Just got the car back from PPF yesterday. It is Legends Matte PPF Prime all around, and 3M Satin Black on all the trim. Here’s a couple photos from the installer. The cantrails were all done with the matte PPF as well. Lucid picks the car up on Monday to fix the broken rear windshield I got upon delivery, then I will tint all the windows. This weekend adding gtechniq halo ceramic on top of PPF myself

Attachments

• 33354498-0DDA-4E39-8518-E0CA7EB86302.png
    33354498-0DDA-4E39-8518-E0CA7EB86302.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 647
  • 977F5178-C32E-48F6-AA5D-FA64FEE3913D.png
    977F5178-C32E-48F6-AA5D-FA64FEE3913D.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 622
Looks great. What trim did you black out? I see the bottom of the doors, and maybe under the tailights? The car looks a lot sportier than the stock.

All around the windows, the front piece on the hood, the rear window, around the rear bumper sensors. Anything black on the car was converted from gloss, to satin black, except the mirror portion.

All around the windows, the front piece on the hood, the rear window, around the rear bumper sensors. Anything black on the car was converted from gloss, to satin black, except the mirror portion.
Oh, okay you made everything matte but didn't black out the chrome. I was zooming and everything trying to figure it out.

Oh, okay you made everything matte but didn't black out the chrome. I was zooming and everything trying to figure it out.
😂 yea they missed it, but when I looked at it, I didn’t mind those little chrome pieces at the bottoms of the doors 🤷‍♂️

The car was just tinted with 20% all around XPEL Prime XR+ ceramic. The front windshield the tint shop is having issue with, but are phenomenal to work with. They couldn’t give their stamp of approval after applying the 70% to the windshield so I have to bring it back another day to have them do it. @Drendino heres some photos for now! I would highly recommend working with A Shade Darker on your tint since the windshield is going to be very complicated and they will have done mine by that time! They are extremely detail oriented and had I known at the time they did PPF, I would’ve had them do mine. Slightly more expensive, he said $8500 for the whole car, but it won’t leave the shop unless it’s perfect.

Attachments

• 9161570D-2FC8-4676-8C3F-D00EB52072F4.jpeg
    9161570D-2FC8-4676-8C3F-D00EB52072F4.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 304
  • E583A7B0-69A9-4A97-A48D-7DF0E14BA2E2.jpeg
    E583A7B0-69A9-4A97-A48D-7DF0E14BA2E2.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 296
Here in Texas I have had two cars denied yearly inspection when they tested the tint and found it too dark by law. It cost $300 per car to remove the tint. I thought it would peel off in large sheets but the shop had to use single edge razor blades and peel it off in tiny shreds. Some States allow darker tints but here in Texas if you get pulled over the police want to see into the vehicle as they walk up. Some States do not have tint laws.

Oh we definitely have tint laws. Just never been ticketed for it in 15 years of driving 🤷‍♂️

Just got the car back from PPF yesterday. It is Legends Matte PPF Prime all around, and 3M Satin Black on all the trim. Here’s a couple photos from the installer. The cantrails were all done with the matte PPF as well. Lucid picks the car up on Monday to fix the broken rear windshield I got upon delivery, then I will tint all the windows. This weekend adding gtechniq halo ceramic on top of PPF myself
Nice Modification! Well done!

Nice Modification! Well done!
The car was just tinted with 20% all around XPEL Prime XR+ ceramic. The front windshield the tint shop is having issue with, but are phenomenal to work with. They couldn’t give their stamp of approval after applying the 70% to the windshield so I have to bring it back another day to have them do it. @Drendino heres some photos for now! I would highly recommend working with A Shade Darker on your tint since the windshield is going to be very complicated and they will have done mine by that time! They are extremely detail oriented and had I known at the time they did PPF, I would’ve had them do mine. Slightly more expensive, he said $8500 for the whole car, but it won’t leave the shop unless it’s perfect.
Well done! I had full car clear PPF and blacked out the top and mirrors. Heat rejection film applied to windshield and roof.

What exactly are they doing to your windshield?

Attachments

• CA48DEC2-E5CB-4A7F-A27A-ED343D43652C.jpeg
    CA48DEC2-E5CB-4A7F-A27A-ED343D43652C.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 285
  • 14800F04-DC8C-46BA-B12A-4172DC10071A.jpeg
    14800F04-DC8C-46BA-B12A-4172DC10071A.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 273
Well done! I had full car clear PPF and blacked out the top and mirrors. Heat rejection film applied to windshield and roof.

What exactly are they doing to your windshield?
Looks great!!
They are just adding the heat rejection film to the windshield - 70% XPEL Prime XR+ but having a hell of a time. Apparently this windshield uses as much tint as an entire car haha. It’s their first Lucid, and they are perfectionists thankfully, so I have faith it will be done right!

The tint looks amazing! What issue are they having with the windshield? I’m happy you are the Guinea pig. Lol

The tint looks amazing! What issue are they having with the windshield? I’m happy you are the Guinea pig. Lol
They didn’t specify outside of the fact that it’s “the most complicated windshield we have ever done.” They said they do a lot of Model X’s and it is similar, but I guess the struggles lining it up 100%. So they want another crack at it, I am indeed the Guinea pig, which I don’t mind! But I highly recommend them and their willingness and desire to make sure it looks perfect.

Nice to see a matte white. I'd be too broke getting an Air. I wonder how much it would cost to wrap the top platinum finish. Planning to have a matching white on it like with Pure

Do you know if the shop was able to use pre-existing templates for the install or did they have to custom cut for the whole install of the PPF?

Do you know if the shop was able to use pre-existing templates for the install or did they have to custom cut for the whole install of the PPF?
They custom cut my entire car. XPEL has templates for the car, but they have seams because there are multiple pieces. I talked to the XPEL installer after my job was done by another shop, and he said any good shop will take those templates and modify them so there aren’t any seams
My installer used Legends Prime PPF and he did it without seams

Nice to see a matte white. I'd be too broke getting an Air. I wonder how much it would cost to wrap the top platinum finish. Planning to have a matching white on it like with Pure
Others have done it! If you’re only doing a gloss white vinyl across the platinum, it’d most likely be way less than $1k - at least with the shop I used

Here in Texas I have had two cars denied yearly inspection when they tested the tint and found it too dark by law. It cost $300 per car to remove the tint. I thought it would peel off in large sheets but the shop had to use single edge razor blades and peel it off in tiny shreds. Some States allow darker tints but here in Texas if you get pulled over the police want to see into the vehicle as they walk up. Some States do not have tint laws.
... so what tint levels do they deem acceptable for the windows? Asking for a friend!

... so what tint levels do they deem acceptable for the windows? Asking for a friend!
The name of this thread is exactly what I did quantum gray covered in ceramic pro clear stealth, and bright work covered in satin black, windows, 35% tint
EF8A5234-295D-4CC0-8F88-CF7A6F3BBD0D.jpeg
4BF173CE-3A61-40C5-A3E8-309C0AC955EF.jpeg
94A3BF42-3179-4995-AB42-49B40AD4F000.jpeg

Back