Lucid self driving spotted in Canada

That’s not a real self driving Lucid. It’s a Lucid that has been outfitted with sensors to map out the road. This info is then used in the Lucid “self driving” software to help it navigate.

I heard that Lucid had hired the “father” of GM cruise. This vehicle may be mapping out highways so Lucid can have similar functionality in the future. Of course, Tesla does a similar thing, but feeds the info into their AI training system to help it only use vision in the car.

That’s not a real self driving Lucid. It’s a Lucid that has been outfitted with sensors to map out the road. This info is then used in the Lucid “self driving” software to help it navigate.

I heard that Lucid had hired the “father” of GM cruise. This vehicle may be mapping out highways so Lucid can have similar functionality in the future. Of course, Tesla does a similar thing, but feeds the info into their AI training system to help it only use vision in the car.
I would wonder why Lucid wouldn’t / couldn’t buy high resolution mapping from another party. They are a tiny company, in the scheme of things, so would be at a severe disadvantage in putting together their own high res maps compared to Waymo/Google, Cruise, MobilEye etc. with their huge resources.

Could also be (I think more likely) that the sensor unit on top of the car is being used to benchmark/calibrate the cars stock sensors for DreamDrive

I would wonder why Lucid wouldn’t / couldn’t buy high resolution mapping from another party. They are a tiny company, in the scheme of things, so would be at a severe disadvantage in putting together their own high res maps compared to Waymo/Google, Cruise, MobilEye etc. with their huge resources.

Could also be (I think more likely) that the sensor unit on top of the car is being used to benchmark/calibrate the cars stock sensors for DreamDrive
We've discussed it previously, but Lucid has access to a lot of self driving data because they decided to partner with NVidia and use their Hyperion system.

That doesn’t look like it is doing just standard mapping. It looks like 360 degrees lidar mapping and tests. There are things standard camera mapping cannot fully detect from a distance, speed bump, elevation delta, similar color shade blend in difference, subtle curbs. Lucid is claiming they will be the first production car in North America to employ lidar. Elon always said lidar is just too expensive to be proven useful for implementation and Tesla would do fine with just its software and cameras. But Tesla’s FSD kept driving over speed bumps without slowing down to create uncomfortable drive and hurting suspension. Recently Tesla is also doing something similar mounting equipment above their vehicle driving around in Florida.

So that's what the rooftop cargo box will look like! Doesn't look like it will hold too much... :D

We'll be waiting a very long time for Dream Drive if Lucid is doing their own mapping. Wait a minute... We have been waiting a long time!

So that's what the rooftop cargo box will look like! Doesn't look like it will hold too much... :D

We'll be waiting a very long time for Dream Drive if Lucid is doing their own mapping. Wait a minute... We have been waiting a long time!
Well, it's in Canada, so who cares! j/k! I suspect it has to do with verifying LIDAR/Camera stuff on the car with an external suite of sensors to ensure blah blah

That shaped roof cargo box will hold a lot of bagged milk….

As @hydbob mentioned, the partnership with Nvidia gives them access to the country wide mapping. The only one who really knows what they are doing is Lucid, but it’s cool none the less.

I happened to meet the same Lucid Air with LiDAR on its roof. This photo was taken in the evening on Aug. 24, 2022 in San Jose, CA. Note that it was driving on an express way, not highway. I'm not sure if it's actually doing something or on their way home.

Attachments

• LucidWithLidar.jpg
    LucidWithLidar.jpg
    773.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I happened to meet the same Lucid Air with LiDAR on its roof. This photo was taken in the evening on Aug. 24, 2022 in San Jose, CA. Note that it was driving on an express way, not highway. I'm not sure if it's actually doing something or on their way home.
I've seen a similar Lucid on 87-North in San Jose, CA while on the way to work.

Back