Lucid on the track

Bunnylebowski

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT Black/Tahoe/19"
So my uncle is a part time racing instructor for NASA and he’s doing some courses at Watkins Glen in early October. I’d like to try the GT out on the track, but he pointed out to me that you will drain the crap out of your battery VERY fast with even a few laps learning the track. They have one guy in a race modified Model S plaid who has to charge after 4 laps. And I noticed on PlugShare the nearest EA charger to Watkins Glen is 50 miles away, and others nearer are all super slow chargers. Has anyone taken their car to a track? If so did you run into any trouble draining the battery super fast then not having chargers close enough?

I think a Plaid will devour the battery faster than an Air, but I believe most owners absolutely should not track a Lucid without a lot of prior experience in the car. Lucid also hasn't said anything about battery cooling under load, the brakes, etc. when on a circuit. I think it can handle some hot laps but I'll wait and see what others do with it first :D

What worries me about the the weight at really high speed is it will do unexpected things with the handling and braking. A fast sweeper (Thunder Hill turn 7 for example) makes me concerned about straight-lining any sudden correction, especially if there's water or oil patches.

Edit: I'd note that you'll be using a DC fast charger multiple times when at a track. Not sure if that won't put a lot of strain on the batteries doing it again and again in a very short period of time.

Yeah I wouldn’t push it AT ALL, I think I was getting overly excited about having access to horsepower and a track, but it’s best to learn on something forgiving and slow first, figure out braking and grip limits. I can’t even drive a manual, gotta learn that first before I upgrade to zero gears and instant torque haha.

Yeah I wouldn’t push it AT ALL, I think I was getting overly excited about having access to horsepower and a track, but it’s best to learn on something forgiving and slow first, figure out braking and grip limits. I can’t even drive a manual, gotta learn that first before I upgrade to zero gears and instant torque haha.
I'm totally with you. I used to track like a fiend with my old race car. This car...will take some getting used to. Which of course provides an opportunity!

I mean, we all have to learn how to use it, right? That means, take the back roads, detour sometimes "over there", make sure to give it plenty of shakedown drives. "Oh, sorry, it'll take us an hour to get there this time - traffic and all, so may as well go on the scenic route"

You know, for science.

So my uncle is a part time racing instructor for NASA and he’s doing some courses at Watkins Glen in early October. I’d like to try the GT out on the track, but he pointed out to me that you will drain the crap out of your battery VERY fast with even a few laps learning the track. They have one guy in a race modified Model S plaid who has to charge after 4 laps. And I noticed on PlugShare the nearest EA charger to Watkins Glen is 50 miles away, and others nearer are all super slow chargers. Has anyone taken their car to a track? If so did you run into any trouble draining the battery super fast then not having chargers close enough?
The plaid needing a charge after 4 laps sounds like BS to me. With stock tires and the weight of the car you are not going to set any track records. Do an out lap, a couple of laps at a speed comfortable for you, a cool down lap, pull into the pits and evaluate for yourself how much more you want to do. Also, if you want to give your uncle a chance to do the same riding shotgun.

I have a good bit of track time on both 2 and 4 wheels. I strongly recommend that you use a different car for your first time on track. Many driving schools have cars that they rent for that purpose. Once you are comfortable on track you will be much better prepared. The limits of the Air's performance are well beyond the skills of most street drivers. Today I took my Air GT on a short twisty section of road that I know well and was shocked by its capability, but the laws of physics still apply. It is better to learn how to deal with those limits in a car where the limits are more approachable. Spinning a Mazda at 60mph can be terrifying, but not as dangerous as spinning a Lucid at 140.

I have a good bit of track time on both 2 and 4 wheels. I strongly recommend that you use a different car for your first time on track. Many driving schools have cars that they rent for that purpose. Once you are comfortable on track you will be much better prepared. The limits of the Air's performance are well beyond the skills of most street drivers. Today I took my Air GT on a short twisty section of road that I know well and was shocked by its capability, but the laws of physics still apply. It is better to learn how to deal with those limits in a car where the limits are more approachable. Spinning a Mazda at 60mph can be terrifying, but not as dangerous as spinning a Lucid at 140.
Yeah my uncle had a Miata race car and now has a Mustang 5.0L V8. A few years ago he spun his old Mustang backwards into a barrier at 60mph, so he told me the same thing you just said when I mentioned trying the Lucid on the track haha. Got a lot of learning to do! Maybe one day…

Yeah my uncle had a Miata race car and now has a Mustang 5.0L V8. A few years ago he spun his old Mustang backwards into a barrier at 60mph, so he told me the same thing you just said when I mentioned trying the Lucid on the track haha. Got a lot of learning to do! Maybe one day…
If you have the opportunity to run the Glen just do it at 7/10's, no need or reason to push the car to its limits, just enjoy being there while driving briskly.

Last edited:
I do strongly recommend taking an on track driving school, whether or not you ever intend to take the Lucid on track. In a driving school you are in a safe controlled environment, no racing, and have an instructor in the car to guide you as you learn new techniques and get to practice them. You will come away having done things you didn't think possible.
Learning how to drive safely at or near the limit is not only an immense amount of fun, it can save your life when a sudden event puts you in danger out on public roads. It is well worth the time and money.

I do strongly recommend taking an on track driving school, whether or not you ever intend to take the Lucid on track. In a driving school you are in a safe controlled environment, no racing, and have an instructor in the car to guide you as you learn new techniques and get to practice them. You will come away having done things you didn't think possible.
Learning how to drive safely at or near the limit is not only an immense amount of fun, it can save your life when a sudden event puts you in danger out on public roads. It is well worth the time and money.
+1 to racing school. Did this a long time ago and it made me a vastly better driver, and I credit those skills with saving my life multiple times.

Thanks that is definitely my plan. Already started watching the HP academy videos (love them so far) and read The Stig’s book so at least whenever I do get out onto a track in a car that won’t kill me if I test my own limits, I’ll at least have some idea of what to do. I do a lot of F1 video game racing so maybe that will help too haha (no joke though, that’s how George Russell did it).

Back