Lucid Has Other Car Companies Shooting For Them

Other than the editor that wrote the headline I’m not sure that the reason Porsche is developing an electric Panamera is “because of Lucid”.

It’s sort of inevitable they will be electrifying their line (they have already announced electric Macan, an electric Cayenne-like SUV, electric boxster and electric Cayman), and the Panamera is the only remaining vehicle in their line-up aside from the 911.

Other than the editor that wrote the headline I’m not sure that the reason Porsche is developing an electric Panamera is “because of Lucid”.

It’s sort of inevitable they will be electrifying their line (they have already announced electric Macan, an electric Cayenne-like SUV, electric boxster and electric Cayman), and the Panamera is the only remaining vehicle in their line-up aside from the 911.
That was exactly my thought....they are the most profitable car manufacturer in the world at anywhere near that scale. I don't think that Lucid was a consideration when this was greenlit internally years ago.

I suppose the Panamera EV is aimed at non-US markets, where people still want sedans?

I agree. The Panamera is more like an EQS. The Lucid is more like (in size) an EQE.
Panamera is 9” shorter than an EQS- it’s much closer in size to an Air and EQE

Not to say the next gen electric Panamera won’t be larger.

The Panamera is a bigger and larger car than the Lucid. I don't believe it competes in this segment.
The Panamera is 198.8 x 78.2. The Lucid is 196 x 76. I think that qualifies as same segment.

The Panamera is 198.8 x 78.2. The Lucid is 196 x 76. I think that qualifies as same segment.

It would if the Panamera stays that size, but articles suggest that they plan on lengthening it so that that the Panamera is at a price point above the Taycan.

In addition, the electric Panamera will not be released until 2027, the same year as a new type model Taycan is introduced

So no fears of competition in the short term of Lucid vs Panamera

I don't think it matters if the Panamera gains a few inches. Lucid considers the Air in the class of the Mercedes S and BMW 7. The 7 series in the US is only available as a long wheel base and is 207" long. The Taycan is 195. Just because Porsche might slot the Panamera above the Taycan, doesn't really create a new class.

I don't think it matters if the Panamera gains a few inches. Lucid considers the Air in the class of the Mercedes S and BMW 7. The 7 series in the US is only available as a long wheel base and is 207" long. The Taycan is 195. Just because Porsche might slot the Panamera above the Taycan, doesn't really create a new class.
Depends on who you talk too. I would consider a 6 inch difference to be significant. Others may feel differently.

Panamera and Taycan entirely different cars and in different classes(I sold my 2018 Panamera Turbo before purchasing my AGT and have test driven Taycans several times). Taycan you sit real low and harder to get in and out of. Panamera much easier to enter and exit. One feels like a sports car while driving. The Panamera feels like a big sedan. Too many differences between the two to name.

There are infinite classes as how we view the cars personally, but there are not an infinite number of car classes. These cars are all considered large sedans.

That was exactly my thought....they are the most profitable car manufacturer in the world at anywhere near that scale. I don't think that Lucid was a consideration when this was greenlit internally years ago.
Add my agreement--and Audi is coming out with an EV super sedan (maybe a rebranded E-Panamera?) that LOOKS fantastic...Range? Price? UI? SW reliability? Yet to be known ...but as our orders drag months at a time, Lucid is letting more and more noses under their tent...such is (business) life...

There are infinite classes as how we view the cars personally, but there are not an infinite number of car classes. These cars are all considered large sedans.
Agreed they are all large sedans in classification.

But some people would prefer a smaller large sedan, some a larger one. Some people have smaller garages, so the size difference would make a difference to them and some just would prefer to drive a smaller large sedan, as some would prefer the larger one as they travel frequently with back seat passengers.

Add my agreement--and Audi is coming out with an EV super sedan (maybe a rebranded E-Panamera?) that LOOKS fantastic...Range? Price? UI? SW reliability? Yet to be known ...but as our orders drag months at a time, Lucid is letting more and more noses under their tent...such is (business) life...
It's all talk at this point. The Taycan is in the same segment/class, but I don't think the Taycan is even close to the Air. Performance and Range the Air is the best EV. It's not close.

It's all talk at this point. The Taycan is in the same segment/class, but I don't think the Taycan is even close to the Air. Performance and Range the Air is the best EV. It's not close.

I think we are getting off topic.

I agree the Taycan is not even close to the Air, which is why I purchased the Air vs the Taycan

Your original comment was that 6 inches would not make much difference to a potential purchaser. I disagree. One of the reasons I have a BMW on order for my wife when I offered to buy her a Lucid Pure was that she wanted a smaller car. Some may not care about a 6 inch difference, while others will consider it a non starter for them

Back