Lucid Air charging rate on 350 KW fast charger

So, I get that some of us are seeing different charge rates, but I wonder if we are talking apples to apples. Starting with this an EA 30KW./Hour charger... From 0 to 18%, we should be getting close to 300 KW/Hour. It begins falling and by 35% it is down to 250 WH/Hour, by 55% down to 150 KW/hr and so on. So charge rates do very legitable. If I had ever gottten to within 10% of the charge rate on any of the EVGO or EA chargers, I would say, my car is charging properly. Lucid would tell us every EA and EVGO charger is falsely advertising it's charge rate. That would be grounds for a class action suit. I would accept that some chargers may be defective in some way, but I see that some folks have been able to achieve the published charges rate somewhat consistently. I am going from very forgiving of all the service calls, because up till now, Lucid has responded and corrected non-software issues. The fact that Lucid is refusing to address this isse has me regretting my GT purchase. Support was one of my concerns when I bought it, but up till now not an issue. ... Also to repeat, my lucid was in the service center and they discovered assembly issues in my charge circuit. I believe there are still issues and that the kind of charge issues I have had may be more common than we realize and that it is NOT ALWAYS the charger, This is an old chart and I believe that Lucid has supposedly
improved since then.
View attachment 5978
Just an observation. If we are going on a long distance trip and charge to 100% at the start, and run down to 20% (270KW in the graph?) and charge to 80%(80KW?) the average is 175KW. If we run down to 10% (300KW) and charge to 70%(110KW) the average is 205KW. If we are bold enough to run down to 5%(300KW) and charge to 65%(120KW) the average is 210KW. In a perfect world of EA (LOL) the sweet spot seems to be 10% to 70%. 60% of the EPA range of 520 for GT and then de-rate another 20% to be practical, one can drive 250miles at a time after charging for 15min. But if EA is doing half that, then the 250miles is 30min which is a bummer. In practice it seems to me that when we are driving long distance and come across any DC fast charger, after driving say 150miles in 2hrs, it is not a bad idea to stop and charge to 150 miles and keep going.

Just an observation. If we are going on a long distance trip and charge to 100% at the start, and run down to 20% (270KW in the graph?) and charge to 80%(80KW?) the average is 175KW. If we run down to 10% (300KW) and charge to 70%(110KW) the average is 205KW. If we are bold enough to run down to 5%(300KW) and charge to 65%(120KW) the average is 210KW. In a perfect world of EA (LOL) the sweet spot seems to be 10% to 70%. 60% of the EPA range of 520 for GT and then de-rate another 20% to be practical, one can drive 250miles at a time after charging for 15min. But if EA is doing half that, then the 250miles is 30min which is a bummer. In practice it seems to me that when we are driving long distance and come across any DC fast charger, after driving say 150miles in 2hrs, it is not a bad idea to stop and charge to 150 miles and keep going.
I charge to 100% at home the night before a road trip. On the road I stop about every 2-2 1/2 hours and charge back to 80-85%.
Leaves me with enough range to have options if there are problems at a station. I wish more of the charging stations were at Cracker Barrel instead of Walmart. 😂

74 kWh in 43 minutes
56 kWh in 30 minutes
41 kWh in 25 minutes
52 kWh in 28 minutes

I charge to 100% at home the night before a road trip. On the road I stop about every 2-2 1/2 hours and charge back to 80-85%.
Leaves me with enough range to have options if there are problems at a station. I wish more of the charging stations were at Cracker Barrel instead of Walmart. 😂

74 kWh in 43 minutes
56 kWh in 30 minutes
41 kWh in 25 minutes
52 kWh in 28 minutes
Can you also add the % number like
74 kWh in 43 minutes 50% to 85%
56 kWh in 30 minutes 40% to 80%
41 kWh in 25 minutes ...
52 kWh in 28 minutes ...

Lucid's charging strategy was a smart one it's just a shame that EA has messed it up for them. Apart from range anxiety it would be safe to say the next argument from non-EV owners is "charging takes too long compared to filling up a car with gas". Lucid tackled this issue by being able to add a large chunk of miles in the first 10 to 20 minutes. IF and this is a big IF, EA chargers actually worked properly you could run the car battery low, pull in at a 350Kw, charge for 10 to 15 mins and move on. In most cases you would have enough charge to get you to the next location and do the same process.

People tend to stop every couple of hours for coffee, bathroom breaks etc. The Lucid appears to be designed to tailor for that so when you plug in, go do your thing as you would on an ICE road trip, unplug and move on. In that short timeframe you would've been given enough juice to get you to your next stop. I don't think this car was intended for us to sit at a charger from 0 to 80% but more a get in and get out approach. That's my opinion anyway.

Can you also add the % number like
74 kWh in 43 minutes 50% to 85%
56 kWh in 30 minutes 40% to 80%
41 kWh in 25 minutes ...
52 kWh in 28 minutes ...
I do not have that Information. In general the 56,41, and 52 are probably to 80%. The 74, I think I had lunch and it might have been to low 90s%.

Attached is what the Lucid app shows.

Attachments

• 2C08CD59-A9A1-4B4D-B168-6190B4A2EADD.jpeg
    2C08CD59-A9A1-4B4D-B168-6190B4A2EADD.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 83
Also, keep in mind that fast charging is for road trips or free charging. Most people charge at home.

EXACTLY!!! Can I get an AMEN?!?!

No one has any business getting an EV if they have no provision for charging at home. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Facebook Marketplace is replete with listings of Tesla Model 3s For Sale because the inexperienced, and almost always young buyers who bought them. Didn’t take long for them to discover that wasting about an hour and a half of your time every week at your local superchargers was not a such a great way to “live your best life”.

“Living Your Best Life” and “You Do You” are two post-millenial aphorisms that really should be locked up in a padded, underground cell, guarded by four rottweilers, with the key thrown away. But I digress.

I do not have that Information. In general the 56,41, and 52 are probably to 80%. The 74, I think I had lunch and it might have been to low 90s%.

Attached is what the Lucid app shows.
Thanks for the response. I guess in 25min if we get 41KWh at say 3.8KWh, it is barely 150miles which is good for another 2 to 2.5hrs of driving. So much for the advertised 22min for 300miles. The reality is half the miles in that much time.

Thanks for the response. I guess in 25min if we get 41KWh at say 3.8KWh, it is barely 150miles which is good for another 2 to 2.5hrs of driving. So much for the advertised 22min for 300miles. The reality is half the miles in that much time.
I avoid going below 20% as much as possible so 30-80% in about 30 minutes adding 175 miles is typical for me.
I have been low single digit 3 or 4 times due to varying circumstances.
I’ve already exceeded my lifetime limit for how long I want to be on the phone with EA.
I’m at the point I’ll try a couple chargers a couple times at a station, if they don’t work I head to the next station or a ChargePoint or evgo alternate.

I avoid going below 20% as much as possible so 30-80% in about 30 minutes adding 175 miles is typical for me.
I have been low single digit 3 or 4 times due to varying circumstances.
I’ve already exceeded my lifetime limit for how long I want to be on the phone with EA.
I’m at the point I’ll try a couple chargers a couple times at a station, if they don’t work I head to the next station or a ChargePoint or evgo alternate.
Bummer. I have no patience to call EA on a long distance trip. Hope EVGo is more reliable and available even if we pay.

Bummer. I have no patience to call EA on a long distance trip. Hope EVGo is more reliable and available even if we pay.
Other have simply paid for the charge with a credit card and then asked for reimbursement from EA. Not sure if you can do this if you didn’t call them when it was happening. But it should be obvious on their end that they charged a Lucid Air and almost all of them have free EA charging.

My understanding of charging is that is dependent on many factors other than state of charge and the charger kW.

I don’t understand why charging at 160 instead of >200 is a big deal. How much time does that add to the charge? Is it a lot?
On a long trip, such as we start tomorrow (3000 miles round trip), it can make a big difference since we will be stopping at between 3 and 4 EA stations a day, depending on outside temp, wind, and degree of altitude change (mountains). When I start out charging at only 158 kW, it drops down to about 50 kW in 40 minutes. During that time, I only add roughly 50 kWh which tops me up to 90% SOC. Yet, Lucid touts 300 miles of range in 20 minutes when starting out at 350kW. Now, those 300 miles really turns out to be about 200 or so miles when I am climbing up mountains and driving into a 20 knot wind at 30 degrees. Thus, I end may up wasting an extra 1 to 1.5 hours if I can only start out at 158 kW.
A previous comment is absolutely correct when he stated I should not charge up until I get below 20% SOC. At that point, the batteries will more readily absorb the bulk of 350 kW being pumped into them, at least for a little while.
The truth of the matter is, I just need to chill and try planning to arrive at the various EA stations with a realatively low charge and then sit back and enjoy life while the chargers and the car do their thing. I will arrive when I arrive at our hotel each evening. Using ABRP helps in dong the planning on when to stop, and at what arriving SOC and when to leaveand how high I should charge up to get me to the next EA station. I will post my experience and results when the trip is over.

On a long trip, such as we start tomorrow (3000 miles round trip), it can make a big difference since we will be stopping at between 3 and 4 EA stations a day, depending on outside temp, wind, and degree of altitude change (mountains). When I start out charging at only 158 kW, it drops down to about 50 kW in 40 minutes. During that time, I only add roughly 50 kWh which tops me up to 90% SOC. Yet, Lucid touts 300 miles of range in 20 minutes when starting out at 350kW. Now, those 300 miles really turns out to be about 200 or so miles when I am climbing up mountains and driving into a 20 knot wind at 30 degrees. Thus, I end may up wasting an extra 1 to 1.5 hours if I can only start out at 158 kW.
A previous comment is absolutely correct when he stated I should not charge up until I get below 20% SOC. At that point, the batteries will more readily absorb the bulk of 350 kW being pumped into them, at least for a little while.
The truth of the matter is, I just need to chill and try planning to arrive at the various EA stations with a realatively low charge and then sit back and enjoy life while the chargers and the car do their thing. I will arrive when I arrive at our hotel each evening. Using ABRP helps in dong the planning on when to stop, and at what arriving SOC and when to leaveand how high I should charge up to get me to the next EA station. I will post my experience and results when the trip is over.
Good luck with the trip. Hope you have back up evgo ChargePoint account and abrp and plugshare apps.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful and timely responses. One factor I can rule out is excess heat in the garage - one level below ground. Problem occurred during October and we live in Portland, OR area which had its usual mild to chilly month. Car on way to service center so hope to learn more soon. Garage has now been wired for Wi-Fi and am installing hard wired charger. No more back to back GFI circuit breakers for me. Many thanks to fed regulators who imposed these on all/most states even though they are problematic for the very EVs feds are promoting.

Good luck with the trip. Hope you have back up evgo ChargePoint account and abrp and plugshare apps.
I need to do a write up of our trip to Denver but we had no significant problems with any of the EA stations we stopped at. We only had one station start out at 305 kW. The rest were in the 120 to 175 kW range. Duration of the stops ranged from 34 to 50 minutes. Temps were mostly in the teens.

Other have simply paid for the charge with a credit card and then asked for reimbursement from EA. Not sure if you can do this if you didn’t call them when it was happening. But it should be obvious on their end that they charged a Lucid Air and almost all of them have free EA charging.
Payment is only a part of the issue. I had no problems with payment but quite a bit of trouble getting the car to charge for more than a few seconds at South Lake Tahoe's EA station.

This has been probably aleady been posted; the key to high KW fast charging is the 20 minute pre-conditioing.

This has been probably aleady been posted; the key to high KW fast charging is the 20 minute pre-conditioing.
This is true as long as the temperature of the batters are below 60 degrees or above some high temperature which I am not sure what that is since I don't live in a place where that is an issue. Preconditioning the batteries just bring them into this temperature range so they can better except the high voltage transfer of electrons .

I think it seems to be associated with the amount of time of preconditioning, the longer you precondition the faster the charging should be, but I have yet to experience anything above 150 kW despite trying to charge at different EA stations in both Rockford and Milwaukee area, I always get a response, The charging is limited by the station, but if there is no other vehicles, why would that be? I think the car is limiting the speed of charging at this point, and preconditioning I was once told has to be about 1 hr for proper fast charging. Not sure though.

The charging dispensers are fed by multiple parallel modules that provide the charging power from a remote cabinet. If some of the modules have failed, or the dispenser's cable cooling loop isn't working, then the charging station will limit power.

Back