Lucid’s service and battery issues

Lfegerber

Cars
Lucid air dream
DE Number
I have a Lucid Air Dream Edition. I love the vehicle when it works, but there are serious concerns I have that make it outright dangerous to drive. As a fan of Lucid, I am questioning whether or not I am allowing my enthusiasm as an early adopter and my personal sentiment affect my judgment and not heeding the advice of my counsel. I wanted to get feedback here and also document my concerns in case anyone else has had the same experience.

If you look at my prior posts, you’ll see that I had another incident where a 21” tire blow out subsequently resulted in me not being able to drive the vehicle for close to three months because I needed to wait for Lucid engineers to develop a repair procedure for a cracked steering knuckle. It was in the shop from May 9 until July 16, but I also had to wait weeks before and after after paying for 19” wheels and tires to prevent that from happening again. Throughout that repair, my biggest complaint was the lack of communication. All I wanted was a firm date so that I could plan my life, but I was told by the body shop that Lucid engineers needed time. I would need to follow up with the body shop, who would defer me to Lucid, and then Lucid would defer me back to the body shop. Not once did I feel as if Lucid proactively reached out to me to explain what was going on, and I am still disheartened by that whole situation.

When I got my Lucid back in July, I was thrilled just to see it again. But I have had three major defects since then, and it pains me to say that Lucid’s customer service has only gotten worse in the months leading up to now. The three issues I outline below were reported promptly, but I am bewildered as to why I never got a call back or someone assigned to address any of the issues in the months that followed.

(1) Retracting Pilot panel: Upon getting the vehicle back, I reported an issue on July 18 where the retractable center display kept retracting. I was not able to bring it back down if I retracted it to access the storage compartment. After multiple attempts, the pilot cockpit would then retract half way and act as if it was fully down, thus preventing me from seeing critical Drive information. The only way for me to keep the display down was to forcibly hold it in place while it attempted to retract, which would work at times and allow me to drive the car. But imagine driving in New York City, reaching for the cup holder, accidentally swiping up on the panel causing it to retract, and not being able to bring it back down. I have had to pull over multiple times to avoid dangerous situations because I couldn’t adjust my mirrors. Despite calling Lucid customer care every other week, the last update I got from Customer Care was that the display was delivered weeks ago but they don’t know why I never got a call back.

(2) Frunk damaging front bumper panels: when utilizing my frunk, I would hear a crunching sound as if the Lucid chrome panels were getting crushed. I avoided using the frunk. After a while, I started to notice alignment issues with the front LIDAR camera and the adjacent decorative grills. Again, reported without response.

(3) Rear Sensor problems: I have had issues with the vehicles rear sensors and auto park since the day I got it. Distance detection is often inaccurate and there is significant lag when using the cameras, rendering it unreliable. When using the the auto park feature, it will outright fail to detect the distance of the rear vehicle while parallel parking and accelerate far too quickly. Although the vehicle cameras detect the parallel space, the Lucid would continue to back into the rear vehicle forcing me to manually intervene. Obviously, one could just as easily say — don’t use auto park — so I don’t, but my concern is with regard to whether or not this was a software issue or if it was a precursor for a bigger issue with the vehicle’s rear sensors.

I reported all of these issues, amongst others, immediately to Lucid customer care months ago. I call so often that I know some of the very nice call center reps on a first name basis. The issue is that even they are bewildered as to why I am not getting call backs or updates. They were able to tell me that parts were ordered and ready, but would not be able to get a technician dispatched. Apparently there were staffing problems and turnover in my region in NY.

——

After all these months of not hearing back from Lucid about the issues I outlined above, I had a horrific and life threatening experience on September 21. I was on a busy service road to get onto an expressway and I suddenly get a message on screen that said there was a drive fault and I needed to contact Lucid customer care immediately. It gave me a 5 minutes to operate the vehicle. Upon calling customer care, they instructed me to get to a safe place but it was not possible in that situation given the narrow service road.

Honestly, I was panicking at that moment because people were honking and trying to get around me. It was not exactly safe for me to get out of the vehicle to reboot it. I was instructed to start the car using the key card, an ordeal in itself, which worked and all seemed okay and I started driving.

Then, after about ten seconds, the whole car blacked out on me and was completely unresponsive. It was shocking to me how the car could boot up as if nothing was wrong and then black out without any notice.

Eventually, I was able to get the car back home, but not without incident. The vehicle was towed to a Hollis body shop in MA for diagnostics.

I got a call from Stephen, Lucid’s Service Manager, who informed me that the car would need to be transported to MA to further diagnose the battery fault.

After not getting any response from Lucid in the past few months, I am thankful that Stephen reached out to me and said that he will be my primary contact.

Has anyone else in the Northeast had issues with service? Should I escalate this?

-JC

Yes, you should escalate. I would have escalated on the pilot panel issue after not hearing back for a couple of weeks. You definitely are not getting an acceptable level of service. I guess I might ask Stephen about your 3 issues and if you don't get a satisfactory response, definitely escalate. They need to fix all the issues you are having during the period they work on your dead car.

I have a Lucid Air Dream Edition. I love the vehicle when it works, but there are serious concerns I have that make it outright dangerous to drive. As a fan of Lucid, I am questioning whether or not I am allowing my enthusiasm as an early adopter and my personal sentiment affect my judgment and not heeding the advice of my counsel. I wanted to get feedback here and also document my concerns in case anyone else has had the same experience.

If you look at my prior posts, you’ll see that I had another incident where a 21” tire blow out subsequently resulted in me not being able to drive the vehicle for close to three months because I needed to wait for Lucid engineers to develop a repair procedure for a cracked steering knuckle. It was in the shop from May 9 until July 16, but I also had to wait weeks before and after after paying for 19” wheels and tires to prevent that from happening again. Throughout that repair, my biggest complaint was the lack of communication. All I wanted was a firm date so that I could plan my life, but I was told by the body shop that Lucid engineers needed time. I would need to follow up with the body shop, who would defer me to Lucid, and then Lucid would defer me back to the body shop. Not once did I feel as if Lucid proactively reached out to me to explain what was going on, and I am still disheartened by that whole situation.

When I got my Lucid back in July, I was thrilled just to see it again. But I have had three major defects since then, and it pains me to say that Lucid’s customer service has only gotten worse in the months leading up to now. The three issues I outline below were reported promptly, but I am bewildered as to why I never got a call back or someone assigned to address any of the issues in the months that followed.

(1) Retracting Pilot panel: Upon getting the vehicle back, I reported an issue on July 18 where the retractable center display kept retracting. I was not able to bring it back down if I retracted it to access the storage compartment. After multiple attempts, the pilot cockpit would then retract half way and act as if it was fully down, thus preventing me from seeing critical Drive information. The only way for me to keep the display down was to forcibly hold it in place while it attempted to retract, which would work at times and allow me to drive the car. But imagine driving in New York City, reaching for the cup holder, accidentally swiping up on the panel causing it to retract, and not being able to bring it back down. I have had to pull over multiple times to avoid dangerous situations because I couldn’t adjust my mirrors. Despite calling Lucid customer care every other week, the last update I got from Customer Care was that the display was delivered weeks ago but they don’t know why I never got a call back.

(2) Frunk damaging front bumper panels: when utilizing my frunk, I would hear a crunching sound as if the Lucid chrome panels were getting crushed. I avoided using the frunk. After a while, I started to notice alignment issues with the front LIDAR camera and the adjacent decorative grills. Again, reported without response.

(3) Rear Sensor problems: I have had issues with the vehicles rear sensors and auto park since the day I got it. Distance detection is often inaccurate and there is significant lag when using the cameras, rendering it unreliable. When using the the auto park feature, it will outright fail to detect the distance of the rear vehicle while parallel parking and accelerate far too quickly. Although the vehicle cameras detect the parallel space, the Lucid would continue to back into the rear vehicle forcing me to manually intervene. Obviously, one could just as easily say — don’t use auto park — so I don’t, but my concern is with regard to whether or not this was a software issue or if it was a precursor for a bigger issue with the vehicle’s rear sensors.

I reported all of these issues, amongst others, immediately to Lucid customer care months ago. I call so often that I know some of the very nice call center reps on a first name basis. The issue is that even they are bewildered as to why I am not getting call backs or updates. They were able to tell me that parts were ordered and ready, but would not be able to get a technician dispatched. Apparently there were staffing problems and turnover in my region in NY.

——

After all these months of not hearing back from Lucid about the issues I outlined above, I had a horrific and life threatening experience on September 21. I was on a busy service road to get onto an expressway and I suddenly get a message on screen that said there was a drive fault and I needed to contact Lucid customer care immediately. It gave me a 5 minutes to operate the vehicle. Upon calling customer care, they instructed me to get to a safe place but it was not possible in that situation given the narrow service road.

Honestly, I was panicking at that moment because people were honking and trying to get around me. It was not exactly safe for me to get out of the vehicle to reboot it. I was instructed to start the car using the key card, an ordeal in itself, which worked and all seemed okay and I started driving.

Then, after about ten seconds, the whole car blacked out on me and was completely unresponsive. It was shocking to me how the car could boot up as if nothing was wrong and then black out without any notice.

Eventually, I was able to get the car back home, but not without incident. The vehicle was towed to a Hollis body shop in MA for diagnostics.

I got a call from Stephen, Lucid’s Service Manager, who informed me that the car would need to be transported to MA to further diagnose the battery fault.

After not getting any response from Lucid in the past few months, I am thankful that Stephen reached out to me and said that he will be my primary contact.

Has anyone else in the Northeast had issues with service? Should I escalate this?

-JC
Is it to late to the provoke the Lemon Law? I would escalate and demand a replacement car. Seek legal advice and then use the attorny to communicate your issues and demands to Lucid. No one should have to put up with this no matter who the manufacturer is.

This is definitely not the typical level of service, and you should absolutely escalate. I’m sorry this happened to you.

——

-JC
Yeah your situation is worse than the usual issues. You can’t be fighting the pilot panel while driving and you need it to operate a lot of the car. My service center is the team in Ashland MA (Hollis) and I’ve interacted with Emilio and Mark and they’ve been great. My issues were when Markus was in charge which I guess that job has been passed on to Steven, but all my experiences with them were very responsive and top notch. Lately there has been a lag in service responsiveness but that was for trim issues where they’ve ordered parts so now we just wait, so I can’t really fault them on that. And for my most recent issue where a faulty TeslaTap piece snapped off inside my charging port rendering it unusable, their team responded within an hour of me reporting it late yesterday afternoon and is sending a mobile service tech Monday so that I don’t have to postpone my road trip planned for Tuesday. This is unfortunate you’ve had such a recurrent bad experience.

Reactions: NPN

——

-JC
Wow. So sorry you have had such a bad experience. I live in NJ and feel the service overall is poor as well. I have had my GT for 3 months and have had a bunch of small issues and have had to constantly call back multiple times because of no response. I try to bunch my repairs together so that it takes as few trips as possible. While the service techs that come out are very pleasant and seem to know what they are doing, they are poorly organized and managed. Most recently the tech came out and despite telling service that I needed 3 different parts ordered a month in advance, he arrived without the parts. I believe some of this is because there is no service station locally and the “service manager” for our area is actually based in California. I was recently contacted by someone new who is now based in MA. I definitely believe given the seriousness of your issues, you should escalate this to the highest level.

Reactions: NPN
My experience with MA has been very good since Richard took over as regional service manager. Stephen probably reports to him. I would escalate to Zak Edson in HQ. He’s very responsive and knowledgeable. And probably already knows your situation. And don’t be surprised if they have to flatbed your car to Chicago like they did with mine. There is no full service center in Northeast yet. The really big jobs (I needed my entire HV battery replaced) get shipped out.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I don’t have any suggestions but the only thing is that I hope Lucid is reading these and preparing a statement or a recall. I’m losing my patience even though it hasn’t occurred to me. I believe this would be the 4th failure reported this week alone (3 on this forum and 1 elsewhere).

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I made a typo in my post — the car was sent from MA to VA for further diagnostics. Is anyone able to send me Mr. Edson’s contact info and best form of contact?

@DJL: my attorneys are advising the same but I have been holding back. You might be right.
@Pete: I’ll check your post history but what ended up happening to your vehicle?
@Mkatz: I am glad I am not alone in this.

Reactions: DJL
Wow. So sorry you have had such a bad experience. I live in NJ and feel the service overall is poor as well. I have had my GT for 3 months and have had a bunch of small issues and have had to constantly call back multiple times because of no response. I try to bunch my repairs together so that it takes as few trips as possible. While the service techs that come out are very pleasant and seem to know what they are doing, they are poorly organized and managed. Most recently the tech came out and despite telling service that I needed 3 different parts ordered a month in advance, he arrived without the parts. I believe some of this is because there is no service station locally and the “service manager” for our area is actually based in California. I was recently contacted by someone new who is now based in MA. I definitely believe given the seriousness of your issues, you should escalate this to the highest level.
I’m about to receive a vehicle in NJ, based on what you and others have said I am seriously thinking of cancelling. This is getting a bit scary

I’m about to receive a vehicle in NJ, based on what you and others have said I am seriously thinking of cancelling. This is getting a bit scary
Even though I’m one of the holders of longest time in service when my HC battery died, I still love the car and am happy I bought it. You make your own decision but it’s a fantastic car.

Overall the vehicle has been great to drive except for the well documented software issues. My issues with the car's hardware have luckily been very minor. It has become more difficult to address these issues than I expected from hearing other members raving about their service response. I feel that the level of service in the NY/NJ area is overall not the same level of service that has been expressed from the members living in CA/AZ area. There is no local service location and they are clearly understaffed and poorly staffed in our area to handle service issues. I would assume that this will improve in the future as more and better personnel are hired for the increasing number of cars that are being sold in the area. Obviously, this becomes a much more concerning issue when there is a serious repair that needs to be addressed.

My experience with MA has been very good since Richard took over as regional service manager. Stephen probably reports to him. I would escalate to Zak Edson in HQ. He’s very responsive and knowledgeable. And probably already knows your situation. And don’t be surprised if they have to flatbed your car to Chicago like they did with mine. There is no full service center in Northeast yet. The really big jobs (I needed my entire HV battery replaced) get shipped out.
I’ve been dealing with Richard and he has been awesome.

I’ll reiterate that this does not appear to be a widespread issue, though I absolutely understand the fear.

That said, I can’t speak to service in the northeast; I have no experience there, but service elsewhere is generally spectacular.

Overall the vehicle has been great to drive except for the well documented software issues. My issues with the car's hardware have luckily been very minor. It has become more difficult to address these issues than I expected from hearing other members raving about their service response. I feel that the level of service in the NY/NJ area is overall not the same level of service that has been expressed from the members living in CA/AZ area. There is no local service location and they are clearly understaffed and poorly staffed in our area to handle service issues. I would assume that this will improve in the future as more and better personnel are hired for the increasing number of cars that are being sold in the area. Obviously, this becomes a much more concerning issue when there is a serious repair that needs to be addressed.
@Mkatz, I live in Freehold. I thought Lucid had opened a service center on Long Island for our area. Am I wrong? I go tomorrow to the Mall at Short Hills for a test drive of a GT and keep wondering when there will be some information about production of the Pure model for which I hold an reservation. Some days I hope it is soon; other days I hope it isn’t. While I know the battery and software issues aren’t exclusively a Lucid problem, I can’t imagine coming over the Verrazano and having the car die in the bottleneck of the ramp onto the Belt Parkway. Once the big 2.0 release is released, reports here on what it cures and doesn’t will probably make my decision as to whether to move ahead with my order or cancel.

@Mkatz, I live in Freehold. I thought Lucid had opened a service center on Long Island for our area. Am I wrong? I go tomorrow to the Mall at Short Hills for a test drive of a GT and keep wondering when there will be some information about production of the Pure model for which I hold an reservation. Some days I hope it is soon; other days I hope it isn’t. While I know the battery and software issues aren’t exclusively a Lucid problem, I can’t imagine coming over the Verrazano and having the car die in the bottleneck of the ramp onto the Belt Parkway. Once the big 2.0 release is released, reports here on what it cures and doesn’t will probably make my decision as to whether to move ahead with my order or cancel.
On the Lucid website it lists planned service center in Plainview NY Winter 2023. Otherwise closest one is Natick, MA which states Fall 2022.

On the Lucid website it lists planned service center in Plainview NY Winter 2023. Otherwise closest one is Natick, MA which states Fall 2022.
Originally, the Plainview service center was due to open in Fall 2022 and then was changed to winter 2023. No idea why.

You should have already invoked the lemon law if you have one…. In my state…you are entitled to a new car if
  1. The vehicle must have returned to the dealer three or more times for the same defect, OR the vehicle was out of service at the dealer due to the defect for 30 or more days, for a serious defect that substantially impairs the use and market value of the vehicle.

I have seen rave reviews about Lucid’s service so it’s quite possible that my situation is isolated. I want to reiterate that I do love the vehicle when it works and I also believe much of this is software related. Although my situation is unnerving, I am hopeful that things will get better once they have have better representation in our area. Several of my friends have made reservations or purchased despite my issues—I have been honest with them.

Back