Losing my patience with Navigation

Jonnyc

I understand that because the Air is such a new model all of us owners are de facto beta testers for the software, and i owned a Tesla during some of the early model years and they had issues too, but I’m losing my patience with the lousy routing in the Lucid Air navigation system. It’s just terrible. Searches are still slow. When I input an address at home, it often comes up with a route that completely disregards the traffic, only to have it completely change the route when the traffic data comes in. But by then you’ve already taken an unwise route. Traffic data when it does arrive is often just plain inaccurate. Also, the system has twice routed me down roads that are illegal. Once it had me go the wrong way and the other time was a private road. Navigation is hard to get right, and I’m trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but the lousy routing just keeps happeninG. And that part of the industry is mature. They should be in much better shape.

that’s why it is imperative that they introduc CarPlay and Android Auto

It also is dependent on who they source their maps and nav data from, I wonder if they with 'Here"

It also is dependent on who they source their maps and nav data from, I wonder if they with 'Here"
They do use HERE maps.

@Jonnyc have you provided specific feedback to lucid on the nav? Sending them the routes and or locations may be helpful. I’ve generally had great experiences here in NorCal, and my Model Y is actually worse at nav on average (just as an example, since i use google maps in other cars), but I can’t speak to other areas.

I had the navigation send me to the wrong location twice in the last 2 days. Both destinations ended up being further up the same street where the nav took me as the end point. The first location I sent to my nav via Google maps using the share feature on my phone and selecting the lucid app to share the location of my destination. Then when my Lucid map said I arrived and I couldn't find the bank I was navigating to, I opened Google maps and it was 0.5 miles further down the road. The second was when I searched a restaurant using the Lucid nav itself and it took me to the wrong shopping center. Again less than a mile from the correct destination. Very odd.

I’m with you. Beautiful interface, poor function. I just use Apple Maps now instead. Looking forward to CarPlay.

I've had my Touring for less than a month and honestly, navigation is only 1 of 2 things that's bothered me.

#1 Biggest small complaint: No way to sit in the car with the lights off (or the car for that matter). I take my daughter to various 45 min - 1 hour activities after school and would like to sit in the Lucid, however, I feel like I'm just wasting battery. At night, it draws attention.

Solutions to #1:
A) What I do is switch from "Auto Lights" to parking lights which helps but I would prefer to just be able to turn off the lights and the car.
B) I just bought a faraday bag today for a phone (because the FOB is too big for Faraday FOB bags), and will keep in my glove box. While sitting in my Touring, I'll put the FOB in there and the car will turn off an lock.

#2 Biggest small complaint: Navigation. The routing options aren't great and they could use a more pleasant / refined voice.

Solution to #2: I'm using Google Maps on my phone and am missing the ability to "see" the navigation while driving. I'm going by audio only.

I call these "small" complaints because they are almost nit-picky. They amount to nothing material, but they are the things that I notice as being a bit annoying.

We all know that that lucid is going to support android auto an carplay very soon. Let us just use whatever we were using on the phones and let lucid prioritize other important things first. I think we will get attention if we raise the flag only on issues for which we have no other alternative. Having driven 500 miles locally in the SF bay area in pure, I really cannot think of any show stopper to complain about.

I had the navigation send me to the wrong location twice in the last 2 days. Both destinations ended up being further up the same street where the nav took me as the end point. The first location I sent to my nav via Google maps using the share feature on my phone and selecting the lucid app to share the location of my destination. Then when my Lucid map said I arrived and I couldn't find the bank I was navigating to, I opened Google maps and it was 0.5 miles further down the road. The second was when I searched a restaurant using the Lucid nav itself and it took me to the wrong shopping center. Again less than a mile from the correct destination. Very odd.
I’ve had a couple of similar events as well. Close but no cigar. So strange. I’m going to try getting concurrent routing from google maps and Lucid nav at the same time as sort of an experiment for awhile. See what the differences are. I’ll report back.

They do use HERE maps.

@Jonnyc have you provided specific feedback to lucid on the nav? Sending them the routes and or locations may be helpful. I’ve generally had great experiences here in NorCal, and my Model Y is actually worse at nav on average (just as an example, since i use google maps in other cars), but I can’t speak to other areas.
Thanks! I didn’t know there was a specific place to report nav issues. I’ll check in with customer service.

Here is a good comparison and review article between Google Maps and HERE WeGo.
https://www.compsmag.com/blogs/google-maps-vs-here-wego-comparison-and-review/
5. Traffic Updates

Both apps have a lot of users, which is why they have pretty accurate traffic estimates. However, Google has a better traffic algorithm compared to HERE.
6. Active Recalculation
This is another really interesting feature that’s a must-have for any navigation app. With active rerouting, the app can change the assigned route between trips when the app detects a traffic jam on the way.
Unfortunately, HERE WeGo is missing this feature even though you can follow live traffic updates. Conversely, Google wins this one because it estimates the route based on the shortest time.
7. Integration to 3rd Party
Google Maps is everywhere and has a very rich integration of third-party apps or services. On the other hand, HERE WeGo is relatively new to this game and has a long way to go before it reaches the same point Google Maps is on today.

We all know that that lucid is going to support android auto an carplay very soon. Let us just use whatever we were using on the phones and let lucid prioritize other important things first. I think we will get attention if we raise the flag only on issues for which we have no other alternative. Having driven 500 miles locally in the SF bay area in pure, I really cannot think of any show stopper to complain about.
I disagree. I didn’t buy the Lucid for CarPlay. If I wanted to solely live and breathe CarPlay then I would’ve purchased a car at half the price and for everyone complaining that they can’t live without CarPlay then maybe the Lucid wasn’t the right choice for you. I’m seeing numerous comments of “just give us CarPlay and Android Auto” and all will be good. Don’t prioritize this or don’t prioritize that because it’s in CarPlay/AA is outright selfish and not thinking of the owners who don’t want it.

It’s been well known since the early days of the cars release thar CarPlay/AA weren’t available but coming so if it was such a big deal then you should’ve stuck with a brand that offers it.

I’m in SoCal and travel up to NorCal quite a bit and haven’t had any issues with the navigation. When I’ve been stuck in traffic I’ve checked Google, Apple etc. and they all mirror what the Lucid is telling me. I won’t use Waze because Waze’s algorithm is to get you there in the fastest possible way and will route you over dirt roads etc. if it has to.

6. Active Recalculation
This is another really interesting feature that’s a must-have for any navigation app. With active rerouting, the app can change the assigned route between trips when the app detects a traffic jam on the way.
Unfortunately, HERE WeGo is missing this feature even though you can follow live traffic updates. Conversely, Google wins this one because it estimates the route based on the shortest time.
Are you sure about this? I’ve been re-routed during an active navigation session when it’s found a quicker way.

We have Google Maps in our other EV, and greatly prefer it to HERE. Besides minor nav glitches in the Air and the extra step of having to send a location to car if using another device (and hoping it matches the one you found using Google), we find HERE's voice to be more abrupt and commanding than pleasant.

Of course, besides having Google maps in our other EV, we also have it on our phones, our PCs and Chromebook, and all our smart home devices by query. Just missing it on the Air.

I disagree. I didn’t buy the Lucid for CarPlay. If I wanted to solely live and breathe CarPlay then I would’ve purchased a car at half the price and for everyone complaining that they can’t live without CarPlay then maybe the Lucid wasn’t the right choice for you. I’m seeing numerous comments of “just give us CarPlay and Android Auto” and all will be good. Don’t prioritize this or don’t prioritize that because it’s in CarPlay/AA is outright selfish and not thinking of the owners who don’t want it.

It’s been well known since the early days of the cars release thar CarPlay/AA weren’t available but coming so if it was such a big deal then you should’ve stuck with a brand that offers it.

I’m in SoCal and travel up to NorCal quite a bit and haven’t had any issues with the navigation. When I’ve been stuck in traffic I’ve checked Google, Apple etc. and they all mirror what the Lucid is telling me. I won’t use Waze because Waze’s algorithm is to get you there in the fastest possible way and will route you over dirt roads etc. if it has to.
You mean you want Lucid to make AA/Car Play a high priority right now if they have to prioritize what to do in software and do this instead of any bug fixes?

You mean you want Lucid to make AA/Car Play a high priority right now if they have to prioritize what to do in software and do this instead of any bug fixes?
Yes! A good integration of Android Auto will solve my NAV issues and give me working SiriusXM. Lucid will be fixing bugs for another year of more.

Navigation has been fine for me in the Phoenix area, taking me on the same routes as Apple Maps or Google Maps would.

That said, I'm fully invested in the Apple ecosystem and eagerly looking forward to CarPlay. In fact, I've been holding off planning my first roadtrip, hoping it gets rolled out soon. If I had a good way to mount my iPhone, it wouldn't be as big a deal, but I can't find anywhere to mount using my Belkin MagSafe Car Vent mount. It just doesn't fit in the vents. I tried the WeatherTech cupholder mount, but wasn't a big fan.

If you want to play a fun game, ask the in car Alexa to navigate you somewhere or to call someone and then ask Siri the same question. In my experience. Siri will get it right 4 out of 5 times and Alexa will get it right 2 out of 5 times. I’m sure they are working on it.

Navigation has been fine for me in the Phoenix area, taking me on the same routes as Apple Maps or Google Maps would.

That said, I'm fully invested in the Apple ecosystem and eagerly looking forward to CarPlay. In fact, I've been holding off planning my first roadtrip, hoping it gets rolled out soon. If I had a good way to mount my iPhone, it wouldn't be as big a deal, but I can't find anywhere to mount using my Belkin MagSafe Car Vent mount. It just doesn't fit in the vents. I tried the WeatherTech cupholder mount, but wasn't a big fan.
In the Phoenix area, I find that the navigation will find the correct destination but half the time the route it selects is not the fastest one or the route that Apple maps selects.

In the Phoenix area, I find that the navigation will find the correct destination but half the time the route it selects is not the fastest one or the route that Apple maps selects.
I believe Garmin has been using HERE since it was still known as Navteq.
Haven't used Garmin for a while now, but I used to carry one with me when on trips and didn't seem to have any problem, except in Washington D.C.

Back