Level 2 - J1772 (@32A) charging questions

mxp

Reaction score
Cars
2024 Air Pure base, SSP
Referral Code
L80XM3GF
Hi,
I currently have an old Blink Level 2 J1772 charger that can charge at 30A.
The Air Pure base uses an 88kWh battery.

If I were to use my old J1772 (30A) charger to charge my 2024 Air Pure for within say, a full 12 hour window; how much should I run the vehicle's battery down to (percentage%) so that I can get to a charge to 80 - 90% within that 12 hour window?

Thanks & Rgds,
mxp

PS: I intend to use the free 1,000 kWh/or 1 year EA benefit on long trips and emergencies.

Unless it is very hot or very cold so that battery conditioning is required, you will be able to charge from 0% to 80% in 12 hours.

The math is simple:
30A * 240V = 7200W, or 7.2kW
7.2kW * 12h = 86.4 kWh
86.4kWh / 88kWh = 98%

There are some losses, and there's some padding on that 88kWh, but still you'll be able to charge 0 to 90+ on that easily.

The math is simple:
30A * 240V = 7200W, or 7.2kW
7.2kW * 12h = 86.4 kWh
86.4kWh / 88kWh = 98%

There are some losses, and there's some padding on that 88kWh, but still you'll be able to charge 0 to 90+ on that easily.
My experience is there is about 600w of overhead for level 2 charging so you would add about 6.6kWh per hour. 7.5% for 88kWh battery. 90% in 12 hours so you should have no problems going to 80%. 600w is for my DE and Lucid continues to make improvements so possible newer cars have less overhead/loss.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 'sweet spot' for battery longevity is to keep your overnight charging for daily use between 20% and 80%. That's not to say that you can't go lower or higher when you need to.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 'sweet spot' for battery longevity is to keep your overnight charging for daily use between 20% and 80%. That's not to say that you can't go lower or higher when you need to.
20-80 is a range used by many. If want to be even easier on the battery you could use 40-60.

For daily driving use I charge to 80% and plug in when I pull into the garage below 50% so I stay in the 40-80 range most of the time.

20-80 is a range used by many. If want to be even easier on the battery you could use 40-60.

For daily driving use I charge to 80% and plug in when I pull into the garage below 50% so I stay in the 40-80 range most of the time.
Actually for a longer battery life, depth of charge how low you let it go before charging is important. If you need let us say 60% soc per week, charging 2 times 50 to 80 is better than 3 times 40 to 60.

Actually for a longer battery life, depth of charge how low you let it go before charging is important. If you need let us say 60% soc per week, charging 2 times 50 to 80 is better than 3 times 40 to 60.
Charging twice 50 to 80 or three times 40 to 60 are both fine. However, it is very slightly better to charge from 40 to 60 three time since the materials in the battery cell expand and contract with charge and discharge and this leads to some degradation, the lower range of 40 to 60 is better. Given how robust our batteries are, I doubt that anyone will notice this in the real world.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. :cool: Learnt a lot today....

first time charging the vehicle overnight to 100% SOC just to get a baseline of battery capacity.
the charge rate fluctuates between 5 - 6kW but mostly 6kW on the old fashion J1772 (@30A).
approx 10 hours ( +56kWh) and the vehicle reported 402 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_7229 Medium.webp
    IMG_7229 Medium.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 15
I was in touch with a Houston service center regarding potential battery degradation and lost range concerns. They want me to try the following for a month before we take the vehicle in. I am sharing this here for awareness as I have not seen (in my limited searching) charging to 80% and draining all the way to 20% before recharging being discussed here. My charge limit is set to 80% and I usually charge back to that when I hit below 40-45%.

“ First thing is to make sure you have your charge limit set so you aren’t charging up to 100% every time you charge (100% is ok if you’re heading out on a long road trip). So let’s say you set the limit to 80%, next thing is to drain that battery down to about 20% before you charge again. Ex: If your battery is sitting at 21% on Friday evening and you don’t have to go anywhere over the weekend, don’t charge it until Sunday night. You want to let that battery come down. If you need to perform a software update, you will need to have a more significant charge*. He said to try this all for about a month and see if anything changes.

He also mentioned that, especially in these hotter months, your Lucid reads the temperatures and factors that in when it displays range (knowing it needs to cool the battery and how much energy that will take). It doesn’t factor in passengers though (AC/heat, radio, etc).

Yes, some degradation is normal during the early life of the vehicle. The degradation will slow after the first 3-12 months.”

Back