Leaving the Lucid Community

Thehack

Verified Owner
Cars
Volvo XC 90 T8
This might be goodbye.

My SA just called me to tell me that there is no way they can deliver by September 1st. He says he is going to try and get me something (He offered me one where the financing fell through on a completely different colour inside and outside). I told him that will not work.

If they cannot come up with something acceptable (I was looking for santa cruz interior... that is my ONLY requirement). The colour on the outside does not matter much... and if they want to put 21" tires on it (I requested 19") I can just purchase another set of rims.

So disappointed. I am not giving the government my money. I reserved in May 2020. Confirmed April 2022. No VIN yet. I guess they just got my 1300 deposit and I am screwed.

I really loved this car. I was REALLY looking forward to it. I am devastated. I enjoyed the community, but this looks like goodbye for me.

This might be goodbye.

My SA just called me to tell me that there is no way they can deliver by September 1st. He says he is going to try and get me something (He offered me one where the financing fell through on a completely different colour inside and outside). I told him that will not work.

If they cannot come up with something acceptable (I was looking for santa cruz interior... that is my ONLY requirement). The colour on the outside does not matter much... and if they want to put 21" tires on it (I requested 19") I can just purchase another set of rims.

So disappointed. I am not giving the government my money. I reserved in May 2020. Confirmed April 2022. No VIN yet. I guess they just got my 1300 deposit and I am screwed.

I really loved this car. I was REALLY looking forward to it. I am devastated. I enjoyed the community, but this looks like goodbye for me.
You are closer to touching one than most of us. I want an AP, at this rate 2025 if Lucid can stay in business. Why walk now?

Can you buy a different color, get the tax credit, and then trade it in for a new one next year? I understand that the wait is excruciating, but if you were buying a Tesla the wait would also be a year. If you were buying a MB or BMW it would also be six months wait plus a dealer fee.

My advice is take delivery of anything you can get, drive it for a few weeks, then post it online for sale. You may even make money or at least break even.

I will not line the politicians pockets with a tax that I do not believe in. Currently as it is, there are really no incentives in Canada to purchase an EV or go Green (for this particular EV anyway). This to me is the fault of Lucid and Lucid alone. I will just go buy some car that is under 100,000, preferably one that guzzles gas and makes a lot of noise... I am LIVID right now.

I will not line the politicians pockets with a tax that I do not believe in. Currently as it is, there are really no incentives in Canada to purchase an EV or go Green (for this particular EV anyway). This to me is the fault of Lucid and Lucid alone. I will just go buy some car that is under 100,000, preferably one that guzzles gas and makes a lot of noise... I am LIVID right now.
What is the tax in Canada?

I can understand you are mad. I don't blame you.

Just curious - how is the Canadian tax Lucid’s fault?

Probably a blessing in disguise. We think we have it bad in the US with EA apparently Electrify Canada is really, really bad. Probably more a Tesla country at the moment if you want an EV. Even with this abysmal effort of chargers they don't work half the time.

1660245237365.png

1660245272351.png

1660245314266.png

Can see where all the money is going.....

1660245388931.png

The tax applies to the sale of new cars and aircraft priced over $100,000, as well as new boats priced over $250,000. The amount levied would be the lesser of 10% of the total price of the item and 20% of the total price of the item above the threshold.

And get this. GST is charged ON TOP of the luxury tax.

So if the car was 190,050 CDN (which this one is) I would be charged 18,010 on-top of the 190,050. Then add GST of 10,403 making the car now 218,463.

If the car was delivered when they said it would be (July), I would have had to pay $199,552.50. Essentially dropping an extra 19000 into the pockets of the government.

Well guess what. Now our economy doesn't get anything... because from now on I am not contributing to it. I'm not going to hire any more people for my business and I will not be getting anything that has a luxury tax on it.

Oh... and now with the price increase... it would be even more.

The tax applies to the sale of new cars and aircraft priced over $100,000, as well as new boats priced over $250,000. The amount levied would be the lesser of 10% of the total price of the item and 20% of the total price of the item above the threshold.

So if the car was 190,050 CDN (which this one is) I would be charged 18,010 on-top of the 190,050. Then add GST of 10,403 making the car now 218,463.

If the car was delivered when they said it would be (July), I would have had to pay $199,552.50. Essentially dropping an extra 19000 into the pockets of the government.

Well guess what. Now our economy doesn't get anything... because from now on I am not contributing to it. I'm not going to hire any more people for my business and I will not be getting anything that has a luxury tax on it.

What are the implications if you buy in the US and drive across border? I know nothing about US/CAD import fees \ taxes when it comes to cars so that loophole may already be closed or guessing it would come back and bite you on the ass come tax time.

Bringing cars from the US to Canada is a major hassle. There are all sorts of stupid rules regarding crash tests (Even though the Lucid is designed to be sold in both countries, I am sure there are some sort of rules that will get me. I recall a friend of mine brought a mercedes over and had to replace the bumper because of some rule regarding impacts over 5 mph or something... I was not really paying attention when he told me). Plus duties would likely be ridiculous.

This goes to what I have been saying, Lucid has about 37k reservations of that 10%-30% are going to cancel. Lucid just can't make cars to get the over $2B in revenue they could have. They don't know how to make cars, plan to get materials, hit deadlines, on & on.

It is Lucid's fault not delivering and not knowing the rules and implications...just more fuel to the Lucid downward spiral.

I feel your pain, I really do. I do think that the blame is misplaced though. If you ordered in April, your 2-5 month window puts you in a position to have to pay the tax if they delivered at the end of the window. You were hoping that they would deliver early, but it’s unfair to expect a start up to be immune from delays, when all of the legacy auto makers are experiencing much worse. Try ordering a Tesla, Porsche or Mercedes and count yourself lucky if you got it in a year.

The luxury tax is a total travesty for the middle class. If you can afford it, I hope you decide to take delivery. I promise it is with it.

This goes to what I have been saying, Lucid has about 37k reservations of that 10%-30% are going to cancel. Lucid just can't make cars to get the over $2B in revenue they could have. They don't know how to make cars, plan to get materials, hit deadlines, on & on.

It is Lucid's fault not delivering and not knowing the rules and implications...just more fuel to the Lucid downward spiral.
I understand the frustration, but there was nothing Lucid could do to adjust for the luxury tax. That’s an issue with your government and representatives.

And there’s a huge difference between “don’t know” and “are adapting to the changing market conditions and environment” which is what is actually happening.

Well... there is a slight glimmer of hope. As I mentioned... I will take ANYTHING if it is the Santa Cruz interior. I can wrap the outside, and rims i can put on later.

The interior is my main concern.

Maybe try to apply for a U.S. citizenship?

Or find a U.S. citizen relative to buy for you and then gift to you?

Well... there is a slight glimmer of hope. As I mentioned... I will take ANYTHING if it is the Santa Cruz interior. I can wrap the outside, and rims i can put on later.

Yeah, it's a real bummer. It's easy for us on the US side of the border to complain about taxes, forgetting that most other countries have much higher rates. I have several friends in CA who are not pleased with this new policy going into effect. Seems excessive and counterproductive to environmental goals.

And I'm someone who doesn't even hate taxes, per se.

Im from Toronto. Whats changing with the tax incentives in ON? Currently $5k federal correct? HST still 13%

Im from Toronto. Whats changing with the tax incentives in ON? Currently $5k federal correct? HST still 13%

This might be goodbye.

I know that this is a tiny consolation but Lucid actually refunded my non-refundable deposit when I cancelled my Air GT-P.

I locked the order without driving it and when I eventually did I was disappointed to find out that at 6’4” the steering wheel didn’t come out far enough for me to get comfortable.

I gave them that feedback and they must have decided to refund me in good faith. They didn’t tell me they were going to do it.

Back