Latest numbers from the Sapphire run: 1.8 - 3.7 - 226

Grnr92663

Cars
Touring + R1S
For 0-60, 1/4 mi, and max speed. These are the numbers that the team got from the track. Words is that they're pretty happy that it's approaching the same Rimac numbers.

The hp "at the wheel" is around 1350.

On a negative note, a lot of owners & current rsrv holders of the Air Dream and GTP are angry at Lucid management. Lot of Air Dream owners (especially the P version) would not buy their car if they knew that the tri-motor version would happen).

That's all I learned from my cousin - a proud Lucid engineer.

Sorry for wrong quote, the 3.7 was for 0-100. They did 1/4 mile in mid 8s.

Btw, they did a lot of benchmark run against the Plaid & GT3. For the Plaid, same track got them 2.1, low 9s, and they couldn't test max speed due to tire limit.

Last edited:
Wow...

On a negative note, a lot of owners & current rsrv holders of the Air Dream and GTP are angry at Lucid management. Lot of Air Dream owners (especially the P version) would not buy their car if they knew that the tri-motor version would happen).
im interested in a lot of the market research that went into the sapphire, like

1) if the people would still be angry if they had announced the sapphire for 1st half of 2024. cuz having about 2 years of exclusivity before the delivery of a exclusive performance line might be more than enough buffer time.
2) if the $179k -> $250k jump is enough of a price difference to differentiate the consumer base where there wouldn't be as much anger from the DE-P and GTP buyers. clearly, it seems that the ~$70k difference wasn't enough. perhaps if it was a $100k difference, there wouldn't be as much anger?

not an expert, so it would be fun to if we can get some insider sneak peak

they made the sapphire announcement early to gain positive publicity in hopes of drowning out the negative publicity of lowering 2022 production targets

For 0-60, 1/4 mi, and max speed. These are the numbers that the team got from the track. Words is that they're pretty happy that it's approaching the same Rimac numbers.

are they planning to respond to those angry dreamers/gtpers?

Last edited:
Can someone smarter than me explain why Lucid isn't willing to let DE/GTP owners trade up to Saphhire?

Can someone smarter than me explain why Lucid isn't willing to let DE/GTP owners trade up to Saphhire?
although DE/GTP owners can probably easily sell their Lucids elsewhere for a small profit, and then turn around and get themselves a Sapphire still

So 60MPH= 1.8 seconds 100MPH= 3.7 seconds! Is that with or without rollout and is it a "drag surface?" or high friction surface or just regular roads?

1/4= Mid 8's will require a trap speed around 162-165MPH!~ Can you confirm at all? And is the "226" number an MPH top speed number?

Also just yesterday and completely by coincidence I wrote this elsewhere!>

Quote>"I would think 1MW at the hubs plus X22% for torque (NM) maybe within the ballpark . Time will tell, very obviously, I'm just glad to be here!

So 1341X 7% electric drive losses= 1435hp X22% (formula elsewhere) for NM torque bases on the dual electric motors 1750NM, calculated at LUNCHTIME so they may be rushed. LOL! But I'm around there."

LOL! Sorry if there's a few questions! It's important that's all!🙂

I own an early Dream P and knew well before I locked in my final order that a tri-motor car was in the offing. Not only had Lucid put out plenty of publicity (including track videos and interviews) about it long before anyone had to commit to the final purchase of a Dream, Lucid had let members of the press see and do ride-alongs in the early prototypes. Also, Zak Edson, VP of Sales & Service, had told me about it during a visit to a Design Studio a year before my Dream was delivered.

In short, I went ahead with my Dream P purchase with my eyes wide open, as I'm pretty sure did most Dream owners who tend to be car nuts and were following the company closely.

Additionally, I don't think there are any "current rsrv holders" for the Air Dream in the U.S. If there are -- or there are any people outside the U.S. holding reservations -- they have the opportunity to cancel them or switch their order to a Sapphire if one is going to be available in their market.

It was a very different situation from what happened with my first Tesla. I took delivery of a Model S P85D on July 15, 2015. The next day Tesla announced a P90D with available "ludicrous" mode -- with no advance publicity at all. (I ended up with a P90D, anyway, a year later when a battery pack weld failed and took out of the pack and the rear drive unit. Tesla replaced them with P90D units and rebadged the car as a P90D.)

Last edited:
Damn, I bought the iPhone 13 then Apple announces the 14 3 months later? I’m so mad at them.

If it were me, owning a DE with the amazing amount of HP that car has, the exclusivity of limited numbers plus it being the first Lucid production car, would take the sting out of the Sapphire coming out. No big deal. Yeah the Sapphire may well have close to Rimac numbers for much less $ but the DE is no slouch.

Damn, I bought the iPhone 13 then Apple announces the 14 3 months later? I’m so mad at them.

If it were me, owning a DE with the amazing amount of HP that car has, the exclusivity of limited numbers plus it being the first Lucid production car, would take the sting out of the Sapphire coming out. No big deal. Yeah the Sapphire may well have close to Rimac numbers for much less $ but the DE is no slouch.

If all that mattered to an EV buyer is the fastest track numbers, Dream Edition owners would be driving Model S Plaids instead.

A lot of what appeals to me about the Dream is not only its prodigious power, but its superb blend of handling and ride compliance, its understated luxury, and its gorgeous cabin.

I have to admit I'm tempted by the Sapphire and still don't know whether I'm going to switch. But there are things about the Sapphire that give me pause: the stiffer suspension, the "boy racer" looks, the lack of interior and exterior color choices, the garish blue screens, a likely significant loss of range . . . .

I am far from convinced that all -- or even many -- Dream Edition buyers are put out with Lucid for introducing the Sapphire when they did.

I thought businesses typically advanced their product offerings over time.
What ding dong thought the DE would be the hottest car Lucid would ever build?
Lucid provided ample messaging regarding the tri-motor coming (at some point).
Folks who were early adopters for the DE got magnificent value per dollar (in my opinion).
The Sapphire customers have some overlap with the DE/GT-P buyers, but it also opens the order books up to the full on pissing contents winning only set.
For me, I would be willing to do the Sapphire instead of the GT-P I have on order, but the opportunity to grab $12K in tax benefits from buying in 22 ($7500 Federal and $4500 IL state, now confirmed to be applicable) is too good for me to pass up).
I doubt I would ever take the car to the track, having the Sapphire would be more about the reality of owning such an animal and some short bursts of thrust on clear roads.
The GT-P will likely cause sufficient nausea when punched and be a more comfy cruiser for Sunday drives with my wife to and from hiking destinations.

because Lucid doesn't have a trade-in system in place at the moment, and they don't sell used cars
Tinfoil hat on. Makes me wonder if it’s intentional because they’re of the crappy residual or something in the works…granted the co is very new lol

Tinfoil hat on. Makes me wonder if it’s intentional because they’re of the crappy residual or something in the works…granted the co is very new lol
Lucid is still dealing in very “boutique” numbers at the moment. I’m sure once they are really putting out better volumes they will institute trade-ins but at the moment I think they are focusing on getting production streamlined and getting quality right which is wise.

Back