Jay Leno's Garage 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition

Wow, Leno is really looking/sounding old these days. When I worked at NBC in the 1990's I used to check his parking spot every afternoon to see which of his vintage cars he had picked up from his warehouse to drive in to work, and then I would sometimes go into the studio to watch his walk-through of his planned monologue or, more often, go back to my office to watch it on the greenroom feed.

Interesting tidbit Rawlinson revealed about the glass canopy being sourced from Japan. I had read somewhere that Lucid uses Gorilla Glass from Corning, but it seems that Japan (along with Taiwan and the U.S.) is one of the places where Corning produces Gorilla Glass.

Also interesting tidbit that the Lucid is geared for 205 mph at 20,000 rpm.

"Drag Times" also just posted a video of their first test of the Lucid Air. The car didn't quite hit the numbers Lucid claims, but it was a cold day on an unprepared track surface, and they think the car would do better in optimum testing conditions. The Leno video highlighted that the car is really engineered and geared more for punch in high-speed maneuvers than for low-end oomph. In comparing the acceleration characteristics of our Model S Plaid to our Lucid Air Dream Performance, I find that to be the case. The Plaid has more kick off the line, but the Lucid really comes on from speed, even more than the Plaid. Bottom line: neither car will disappoint at either end. They are both beasts . . . but the Lucid handles better in all conditions.

Jay almost seemed a little reserved. Maybe it’s my imagination but perhaps he did not want to upset the big dog Elon. I wish they would have dwelled more on the dash or sat in the back, two big selling features.

Jay almost seemed a little reserved.

I was looking forward to this piece but was kind of disappointment. He really seemed indifferent to the process and it seemed crazy superficial. I would've expected a stronger reaction positive or negative.

I was looking forward to this piece but was kind of disappointment. He really seemed indifferent to the process and it seemed crazy superficial. I would've expected a stronger reaction positive or negative.
Lucid should of give Jay DE to test drive few months to get real world out from Jay vs just doing short interview and test drive.

Jay almost seemed a little reserved. Maybe it’s my imagination but perhaps he did not want to upset the big dog Elon. I wish they would have dwelled more on the dash or sat in the back, two big selling features.
Knowing all the software issues, they probably didn't want him to focus on the software.

Wow, Leno is really looking/sounding old these days. When I worked at NBC in the 1990's I used to check his parking spot every afternoon to see which of his vintage cars he had picked up from his warehouse to drive in to work, and then I would sometimes go into the studio to watch his walk-through of his planned monologue or, more often, go back to my office to watch it on the greenroom feed.

Interesting tidbit Rawlinson revealed about the glass canopy being sourced from Japan. I had read somewhere that Lucid uses Gorilla Glass from Corning, but it seems that Japan (along with Taiwan and the U.S.) is one of the places where Corning produces Gorilla Glass.

Also interesting tidbit that the Lucid is geared for 205 mph at 20,000 rpm.

"Drag Times" also just posted a video of their first test of the Lucid Air. The car didn't quite hit the numbers Lucid claims, but it was a cold day on an unprepared track surface, and they think the car would do better in optimum testing conditions. The Leno video highlighted that the car is really engineered and geared more for punch in high-speed maneuvers than for low-end oomph. In comparing the acceleration characteristics of our Model S Plaid to our Lucid Air Dream Performance, I find that to be the case. The Plaid has more kick off the line, but the Lucid really comes on from speed, even more than the Plaid. Bottom line: neither car will disappoint at either end. They are both beasts . . . but the Lucid handles better in all conditions.

Re glass canopy: I believe what Rawlinson actually said was that the glass cockpit was sourced from Japan, meaning the 34-inch display (https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/pictures/lucid-air-lucid-ux-tech-34-inch-glass-cockpit/)

Re glass canopy: I believe what Rawlinson actually said was that the glass cockpit was sourced from Japan, meaning the 34-inch display . . . .

Right you are. i looked at the video again, and Rawlinson actually pointed at the screen when he said it. Thanks for the catch.

I've got to quit playing "Free Cell" on the computer while I watch car videos . . . or quit watching so many car videos. Or just turn the computer off and walk away every now and then.

The vibe of this video just seemed off to me. Jay just seemed indifferent. The ride in the car was just awkward, you’ve got Peter being all passionate about everything and Jay just “yeah”. Was like 2 enemies in a car being forced to be friends.

Not sure why Peter needed to go along for the ride as it might be why Jay didn’t really say much. Like when he said he didn’t really care for 0-60 but I’m sure I’ve seen a video of him in the Tesla enjoying it.

If I was Lucid I wouldn’t be overly happy with this video. It was just kind of “meh”

I haven't watched that many of the Jay Leno car videos, but he usually seems pretty jaded to me particularly with modern cars.

The vibe of this video just seemed off to me. Jay just seemed indifferent. The ride in the car was just awkward, you’ve got Peter being all passionate about everything and Jay just “yeah”. Was like 2 enemies in a car being forced to be friends.

Not sure why Peter needed to go along for the ride as it might be why Jay didn’t really say much. Like when he said he didn’t really care for 0-60 but I’m sure I’ve seen a video of him in the Tesla enjoying it.

If I was Lucid I wouldn’t be overly happy with this video. It was just kind of “meh”

Yes, tonally it was very off. I don't know in what order the conversations actually occurred, as these videos get heavily edited, but in the conversation with Jenkins, Leno just kept drifting off into ramblings about the days of old and going down paths that bore no relevance to the topic at hand. It felt sort of like a grandkid excitedly showing grandpa his new iPhone while grandpa just nods but is really wondering whether it's time to renew his newspaper subscription.

And I agree about Rawlinson. He just seemed out of place. However, Musk has appeared in some of Leno's videos, so this may be a condition Leno imposed for doing the review, or it may have been another chapter in Rawlinson's inability to resist an opportunity to poke a stick at Musk.

Here are the 60-130mph Drag Time results for the Model S Plaid, Air Dream P, and Taycan Turbo S

Model S Plaid: 4.64 seconds
Air Dream P: 5.46 seconds
Taycan Turbo S: 7.70 seconds

It seems the Lucid doesn't launch off the line like the Taycan or Plaid, but once the car gets moving it is closer to the Plaid in terms of acceleration. Which is perfectly fine considering most of us aren't going to be drag racing our Lucid Airs.

I can't wait to see how the Grand Touring compares to the Taycan Turbo S. I'm coming from the Taycan and I have a feeling the Grand Touring will be faster at highway speeds.

I find that I can make more use of the Lucid's accelerative power than the Plaid's because the Lucid's front end stays much more planted under hard acceleration. I simply will not get all the way into the Plaid's throttle on a public road, as I have no interest in killing anyone.

I haven't watched that many of the Jay Leno car videos, but he usually seems pretty jaded to me particularly with modern cars.
That's the general vibe in many of Jay's videos. He regularly expresses his preference of simpler cars that aren't too complex and have just what you need to enjoy driving. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I did get a sense that Lucid was more interested in Jay's feedback than he was about giving it.

Why would they want or need Leno’s feedback? I can see using Leno for some free PR, but shouldn’t they be going back to owners for feedback? There sure is enough of that right here to keep them busy for quite some time.

Why would they want or need Leno’s feedback? I can see using Leno for some free PR, but shouldn’t they be going back to owners for feedback? There sure is enough of that right here to keep them busy for quite some time.

It would have been way better to have gotten a few unrelated and reservation holders to the company to sign NDA. To give feedback. That's what the movie industry does. Sometimes the next great idea isn't all that great.

PR and communication isn’t exactly Lucid’s strong point…

Back