is smooth inherently more efficient than sprint/swift?

coma24

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, Honda S2K AP1
extra available power notwithstanding....for cruising at a given speed, and accelerating at effectively the same pace...is Smooth any more efficient than the other modes?

I can drive in swift/sprint with very gentle acceleration, but I appreciate the throttle mapping compared to smooth. Am I giving up any efficiency by being in Sprint?

I find myself going back to smooth on a regular basis in the hopes of making it as efficient as possible, but it's a bit of a pain to then have to drag the nav back down from the top screen to the bottom each time.

The answer I keep hearing is that Smooth and Swift are not significantly different for efficiency with the same driving style, but Sprint actually adds extra battery conditioning for optimal performance. Sprint is also full AWD (in all but the RWD Pure, obviously), while the other modes are FWD-biased for efficiency.

The answer I keep hearing is that Smooth and Swift are not significantly different for efficiency with the same driving style, but Sprint actually adds extra battery conditioning for optimal performance. Sprint is also full AWD (in all but the RWD Pure, obviously), while the other modes are FWD-biased for efficiency.
that is super helpful, thank you. So, if I don't need the power (which is true most of the time, save for overtakes on already-fast moving freeways), Swift sounds like the way to go.

That's fascinating. I imagine Smooth and Swift will engage AWD when needed like limited traction situations?
I find I like the feel of Swift best for daily use. I have detected no difference in overall ride quality over bumps between Smooth and Swift though the car is so compliant over everything even in Sprint, it's hard to tell. And I have the 21's. When I had a loaner, it was on 19's and it was almost too isolated. What I can tell is the steering weight in Sprint is higher.

Another observation. In Swift, with Highway assist on, it's much more reactive for maintaining the gap to the car in front. Almost aggressively so. In traffic, smooth let's too much of a gap form before accelerating and occasionally cars cut in.

Last edited:
That's fascinating. I imagine Smooth and Swift will engage AWD when needed like limited traction situations?
That's my understanding. I've certainly had no trouble with traction in Smooth on slushy roads here in the winter.

Aren’t they only FWD biased during highway speeds, though? Also, I had previously thought only smooth was FWD biased at high speeds.. very interesting.

Aren’t they only FWD biased during highway speeds, though? Also, I had previously thought only smooth was FWD biased at high speeds.. very interesting.
Don't take my word as gospel, I'm going from memory, and I barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning. You and your youthful neuroplasticity are probably right.

can anyone with the new 2.3 update see if switching between modes updates the range on arrival?

Back