Is it possible to get all season tires on 21' wheels?

duc900

Cars
AGT Black/Tahoe
Does any one know if it is possible to get all season tires on 21 wheels? I tried to get some info from my DA but that was not fruitful. I ask because if it is possible then I would confirm my order with 21 wheels and swap out to all seasons next year. If not, I might have to go 19's and then just buy aftermarket 21's later.

Once my tires wear out, I'm going to replace them with the Michelin Pilot Spot A/S. They are officially designated as

265/35ZR21 101Y XL BSW​

Does any one know if it is possible to get all season tires on 21 wheels? I tried to get some info from my DA but that was not fruitful. I ask because if it is possible then I would confirm my order with 21 wheels and swap out to all seasons next year. If not, I might have to go 19's and then just buy aftermarket 21's later.
My understanding is no. The 21" tire set is for summer running. That's why I had to go with the 19" set and even consider putting snows on them. Went back and purchased the 21" in order to have the complete DE "look" as designed. I really do not like the low rise tires at all, so next spring I will use them for the look and then swap them with the 19"s during the winter.

My understanding is no. The 21" tire set is for summer running. That's why I had to go with the 19" set and even consider putting snows on them. Went back and purchased the 21" in order to have the complete DE "look" as designed. I really do not like the low rise tires at all, so next spring I will use them for the look and then swap them with the 19"s during the winter.
I have a set of 21" Pirellis Sottozero winter tires that I swap back/forth onto my Model S each season. The Model S is unstoppable in snow with these tires (as long as the snow is not too deep). The Air DE 21" are the same size exactly so I might put the Sottozeros on the Lucid if they get me a car before March...

I have a set of 21" Pirellis Sottozero winter tires that I swap back/forth onto my Model S each season. The Model S is unstoppable in snow with these tires (as long as the snow is not too deep). The Air DE 21" are the same size exactly so I might put the Sottozeros on the Lucid if they get me a car before March...
unstoppable or "unstoppable" haha

unstoppable or "unstoppable" haha
Ha ha. Good point. I mean that it is very stable and controllable in snow. I think dual-motor EVs have a particular advantage over the old ICE version of AWD. Imagine the 4-motor Rivian!

I also asked about all season tires for my AGT. I don't understand why Lucid does not offer this. So many of us live in areas with winter conditions where the summer tires are dangerous to drive on.

Porsche, BMW etc all offer this option when ordering their cars. How hard would have it been for Lucid to ask their tire vendor to have a set of all seasons as an option when ordering the car

Does Pirelli offer an all season tire that can be put on an EV?

Just checked, they don't sell any Grand Touring or p zero all seasons in 21".

Alex said his 19" were AS

Last edited:
I've done quite a bit of research into this. I live in a very, very snowy climate. I have the 21". And, as a result of the low ambient temperatures and snow and ice packed on my roads, I've only been able to drive my car about 90 miles since delivery late last year.

Short answer: NO, there is no compatible 21" all-season or snow. (I have a very good tire shop and a very good relationship with the ownership). Nothing that's both designed for the load, LRR that Lucid specs.

Long-ish answer: You can order 19" wheels from Lucid. (I emailed customer care and they got me in contact with my local tech who called me right away and offered to come to my home and swap out my wheels and tires). Lucid will offer you either the 19", all-season version of the Lucid-spec Pirelli Elect HL (not be confused with 'xl' tires), or Pirelli Sotozero3 tires. (NOTE: your local tire shop will NOT be able to get the all-season Pirellis as the manufacturer shows them backordered with no restock date. So you are best getting them from Lucid. They should easily be able to get the Sotozero 3). I don't remember pricing on any of this, but it's all reasonable. (NOTE: aero covers are on back order, so get your tech to order you some ASAP, since it will likely take a while).

I've done quite a bit of research into this. I live in a very, very snowy climate. I have the 21". And, as a result of the low ambient temperatures and snow and ice packed on my roads, I've only been able to drive my car about 90 miles since delivery late last year.

Short answer: NO, there is no compatible 21" all-season or snow. (I have a very good tire shop and a very good relationship with the ownership). Nothing that's both designed for the load, LRR that Lucid specs.

Long-ish answer: You can order 19" wheels from Lucid. (I emailed customer care and they got me in contact with my local tech who called me right away and offered to come to my home and swap out my wheels and tires). Lucid will offer you either the 19", all-season version of the Lucid-spec Pirelli Elect HL (not be confused with 'xl' tires), or Pirelli Sotozero3 tires. (NOTE: your local tire shop will NOT be able to get the all-season Pirellis as the manufacturer shows them backordered with no restock date. So you are best getting them from Lucid. They should easily be able to get the Sotozero 3). I don't remember pricing on any of this, but it's all reasonable. (NOTE: aero covers are on back order, so get your tech to order you some ASAP, since it will likely take a while).
Can you explain a bit more? I had assumed that my 21” Pirelli snow tires (Sotozero) that I use on my Model S could also be used on my (impending) Lucid Air DE 21” wheels. The tires are exactly the same size on these two cars. They are within a few hundred pounds of each other - so why would the load range (or is it load index?) be different enough between these two cars to render the tires appropriate for one but not the other?

Can you explain a bit more? I had assumed that my 21” Pirelli snow tires (Sotozero) that I use on my Model S could also be used on my (impending) Lucid Air DE 21” wheels. The tires are exactly the same size on these two cars. They are within a few hundred pounds of each other - so why would the load range (or is it load index?) be different enough between these two cars to render the tires appropriate for one but not the other?
Load rating on my 21” snow tires is 101. Perhaps the Lucid requires significantly higher?

Attachments

• ED5F3375-7840-40BC-9E94-7074853970B6.jpeg
    ED5F3375-7840-40BC-9E94-7074853970B6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
  • 42177F82-C58A-47A2-906F-A712CF3CF24A.jpeg
    42177F82-C58A-47A2-906F-A712CF3CF24A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 188

I suspect the Sotozero's you use on your Model S would work on the Lucid, especially if you didn't load the Lucid with passengers and cargo right up to its rated weight limit. What you would probably lose is some range.

Tires usually increase their load rating by thickening and stiffening their sidewalls, thus increasing rolling resistance. The Pirelli tires that were developed for the Air focused on increasing the load limit while also reducing rolling resistance. Neither Pirelli nor Lucid have been very talkative about how this was accomplished or very specific about actual rolling resistance reduction, which might be relatively minor.

It's certainly a lot safer to run slightly lower-load-rated snow tires in winter than running summer tires in winter, even on clear roads.

Last edited:
Tirerack now has multiple tire options for the Lucid Air 21" wheels. They show the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4.

I'm debating whether to put all seasons on the 21" wheels, or pick up a set of the 19" with snow tires. We have another vehicle for bad snow days, but in Colorado it never hurts to have snow tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=Lucid&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Air&autoModClar=&frontWidth=245/&frontRatio=35&frontDiameter=21&frontSortCode=61030&rearWidth=265/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=21&rearSortCode=61027&performance=ALL

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I am going to: go with the lucid 21 wheels, then buy aftermarket 21 wheels (that I prefer) and take the summer tires from the lucid 21s and put them on the aftermarket wheels. Then I will just buy all seasons for the lucid 21s.

Feels like I am making it more complicated than I would like to but I do not the lucid wheels.

Tirerack now has multiple tire options for the Lucid Air 21" wheels. They show the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4.

I'm debating whether to put all seasons on the 21" wheels, or pick up a set of the 19" with snow tires. We have another vehicle for bad snow days, but in Colorado it never hurts to have snow tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=Lucid&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Air&autoModClar=&frontWidth=245/&frontRatio=35&frontDiameter=21&frontSortCode=61030&rearWidth=265/&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=21&rearSortCode=61027&performance=ALL

Interesting. The prices for the LM1 designed expressly for the Air are not out of line with other tires . . . and the Tire Rack test results on the P Zero line are great. The only place they fall below their peers is in wet braking, which is a bit of a concern for me in rainy south Florida.

The Continental D/W's that came on my first Model S were the best summer rain tires I've ever experienced, and the Tire Rack test results bear that out. It's not been often that I could detect a strongly pronounced difference in performance between one tire and another, but the Contis in the rain were a notable exception.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I am going to: go with the lucid 21 wheels, then buy aftermarket 21 wheels (that I prefer) and take the summer tires from the lucid 21s and put them on the aftermarket wheels. Then I will just buy all seasons for the lucid 21s.

Feels like I am making it more complicated than I would like to but I do not the lucid wheels.
be prepared to lose range (most likely).

I think you might need to find a new tire shop....

I think you might need to find a new tire shop....
Thing change day by day. At first, Lucid told me hard no, there's no extra 19"'s available for purchase. The following week--no problem.

My tire shop supplies tons of places in the upper midwest where we're no strangers to snow. On January 2 when I asked the question, there were no options. Tomorrow, there may be changes. But one thing is still correct--the ONLY lucid-spec tires right now are made by Pirelli. There may be others coming to market soon that will do the same thing. But think about the myriad of factors that go into determining wether a tire is suitable for the intended use. (Not to mention the sheer amount of force that 1,111hp places on a tire).

Are you saying that because of the aftermarket wheels or the all season tires or both?
Both. I'm not sure what, if any aftermarket wheels are available. (There's been at least one DE delivered to a benchmarking company, so there may be some options coming soon). But rotational weight will always affect range.

Tires that are not LRR will affect range.

These aren't cars that we're buying. We're buying rolling software. The hardware and software were designed to work with each other. When you change out the hardware, it will affect the rest of the function. (Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst). But think about the fact that Lucid went to the ends of even adding aero covers to their wheels...

Back