Intel from Service Tech

gmglass

Verified Owner
Cars
DE-R Zenith Red, 21"
DE Number
Referral Code
0FS9A9RW
Two things of note as I had a service technician out last week addressing my steering wheel 'creak' noises:
1. Lucid may be rolling out a new better performing steering wheel. Unclear if this is just for new builds.
2. Lucid is rolling out a newly designed windshield that is not yet released. This was communicated to me as mine is defective and causing significant road/air noise. The 'Easter egg' he dropped was that the newly designed windshield works better wit the self-driving functionality being rolled out next month...

Passing on what I was told, please do not hold me accountable to the accuracy of any of the above...just posting for the benefit of my fellow owners.

Two things of note as I had a service technician out last week addressing my steering wheel 'creak' noises:
1. Lucid may be rolling out a new better performing steering wheel. Unclear if this is just for new builds.
2. Lucid is rolling out a newly designed windshield that is not yet released. This was communicated to me as mine is defective and causing significant road/air noise. The 'Easter egg' he dropped was that the newly designed windshield works better wit the self-driving functionality being rolled out next month...

Passing on what I was told, please do not hold me accountable to the accuracy of any of the above...just posting for the benefit of my fellow owners.

Thank you.

Recalling the axiom - the longer we wait, the better it will be.

Makes you wonder of DE cars will get the "upgrade" or not. I wonder how much of a difference it really provides for NVH because I can't really tell that much wind noise while driving 90+ *cough*

Makes you wonder of DE cars will get the "upgrade" or not. I wonder how much of a difference it really provides for NVH because I can't really tell that much wind noise while driving 90+ *cough*
@hydbob the noise for me is worst around 60-65 MPH...at those higher speeds, which I may or may have personal experience with, it becomes (theoretically) indistinguishable from what's 'normal'.

What does “Better performing steering wheel” mean? Is there something wrong with the current version?

What does “Better performing steering wheel” mean? Is there something wrong with the current version?
@MPawelek 'better performing controls' was all I got. Mine is fine, other than when I go to control the volume on the right radial wheel I hit the 'stop/pause' button 80-90% of the time because that wheel is sticky/wound tight.

. . . when I go to control the volume on the right radial wheel I hit the 'stop/pause' button 80-90% of the time because that wheel is sticky/wound tight.

Yep, happens to me, too.

In a similar vein, I got a call from a Lucid executive a while back polling me on the ownership experience so far. When I mentioned that the A/C toggle switches on the dashboard were a bit loose feeling in the detents, he hinted that an upgrade might be in the works and intimated that it would be retrofitted to earlier cars.

I'm not putting down any bets, though . . . .

As for the design of the rest of the steering wheel, you should spend some time with our Tesla Model S yoke. If the Lucid steering wheel were installed upside down and backward, it would still make for a better drive.

Yep, happens to me, too.

In a similar vein, I got a call from a Lucid executive a while back polling me on the ownership experience so far. When I mentioned that the A/C toggle switches on the dashboard were a bit loose feeling in the detents, he hinted that an upgrade might be in the works and intimated that it would be retrofitted to earlier cars.

As for the design of the rest of the steering wheel, you should spend some time with our Tesla Model S yoke. If the Lucid steering wheel were installed upside down and backward, it would still make for a better drive.
@hmp10 Yeah, putting it all together, we should be clear eyed that post-sale swaps are SUPER expensive - magnified by the distributed service model that LUCID employs until it gets to scale. They're having to tow my car from NC to Atlanta to replace the windshield...that's VERY expensive and does not scale.

Since they have delayed my car for so long, I will request that they install the better steering wheel and windshield before I take delivery.

Since they have delayed my car for so long, I will request that they install the better steering wheel and windshield before I take delivery.
That should give you another 4 month delay.

Yep, happens to me, too.

So tell us how you really feel.

Good one!

I want to believe that these upgrades are immanent! It would explain the absolute hault in deliveries, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Actually, I am. C’mon better steering wheel!

In my opinion, any improvement or new development is exciting haha. It’s a good feeling. That being said, ‘steering wheel improvement’ is honestly pretty low on my wishlist. Wasn’t even on my wishlist until now that I’ve heard it might be coming!

I'm not even sure what to improve? The wheel buttons and function work great for me. It feels great too, MAYBE just the range of customization on position?

Maybe the slight stiffness in the toggle up/down function that MAY sometimes result in a mistaken button push instead of a toggle. But yeah, I’m overall quite pleased with the steering wheel as is.

In my opinion, any improvement or new development is exciting haha. It’s a good feeling. That being said, ‘steering wheel improvement’ is honestly pretty low on my wishlist. Wasn’t even on my wishlist until now that I’ve heard it might be coming!
Haha- yes I think the steering wheel is an item I can’t recall reading a single complaint about on the forum!

Back