gmglass

Verified Owner
Cars
DE-R Zenith Red, 21"
DE Number
Referral Code
0FS9A9RW
Team-

Had my local electrician install the home charger. Pulled two 100amp breakers, one for each garage stall and handed them the Lucid box to install in just one of them. Everything was super simple. They followed directions, installed everything, plugged it in and immediately started pulling 18kw.

I got it connected to my wifi without issue - only thing vs. what I've read with others, there was no setup step to add my Lucid e-mail and ID. Setup just wanted home wifi SSID and password.

Clean install pics attached.

I can't believe I pimped off EA for almost an entire year! This couldn't have come soon enough as my local EA station is now constantly over crowded.

Attachments

• IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 362
  • IMG_4639.JPG
    IMG_4639.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 354
There is bar tab where you enter your lucid email. I am not home right now so I cant access it but it is the last bar tab.

Nice ... 2 100A breakers? Do you have 400A service at your panel? Typical home service is 200A or less for older homes/areas. Wish I had that as I was limited to 2x 50A breakers for my EVSEs.

Nice ... 2 100A breakers? Do you have 400A service at your panel? Typical home service is 200A or less for older homes/areas. Wish I had that as I was limited to 2x 50A breakers for my EVSEs.
@Tim-in-CA I had two panels of 400A to pull from...which is why I went ahead and pulled another 100A for my other stall since they were doing the work...just trying to future proof things if an SUV with decent range comes out!

Why did they mount it so close to the wall? You aren't able to wrap the cord around it now.

And damn, that's some serious power coming into the house!

Why did they mount it so close to the wall? You aren't able to wrap the cord around it now.

And damn, that's some serious power coming into the house!
@Shuasha it's actually next to a garage storage cabinet, but it's placed there to secure into a stud. No issue for me as you can see I have the slat system on the wall and numerous hooks to use to wrap the cord. Install was great, super clean. I love that they secured through the slat wall system.

Did you speak with the electrician about Reverse Charging? I'd like to know (ie, part number) what is required. I'm currently using my Tesla charger with the J1772 adapter and will hold off for the Lucid installation so reverse charging can be configured as well.

Did you speak with the electrician about Reverse Charging? I'd like to know (ie, part number) what is required. I'm currently using my Tesla charger with the J1772 adapter and will hold off for the Lucid installation so reverse charging can be configured as well.
My electrician asked me for the details from Lucid to know what will be needed, so somewhat circular. Will need a transfer switch for sure, but until Lucid provides more details, hard to know what will ultimately be needed…

@Keith I called Lucid about this before the install and the customer service team was honest that they were getting details, but were firmly told following the install instructions will future proof for the V2H capability. Shut-off required for the unit, which they installed...that's all I know.

@Keith I called Lucid about this before the install and the customer service team was honest that they were getting details, but were firmly told following the install instructions will future proof for the V2H capability. Shut-off required for the unit, which they installed...that's all I know.
That's consistent with what I was told previously, that as long as you follow the install directions, it will be future-proofed. Electricians finishing up their install now!

Team-

Had my local electrician install the home charger. Pulled two 100amp breakers, one for each garage stall and handed them the Lucid box to install in just one of them. Everything was super simple. They followed directions, installed everything, plugged it in and immediately started pulling 18kw.

I got it connected to my wifi without issue - only thing vs. what I've read with others, there was no setup step to add my Lucid e-mail and ID. Setup just wanted home wifi SSID and password.

Clean install pics attached.

I can't believe I pimped off EA for almost an entire year! This couldn't have come soon enough as my local EA station is now constantly over crowded.
Do you know what the model number is for the home charger? I bought one also and trying to get the tax credit from local electric company but its asking for model number.

Do you know what the model number is for the home charger? I bought one also and trying to get the tax credit from local electric company but its asking for model number.
A label on the unit, and my order confirmation, both state P11-Y25901-02.

@Tim-in-CA I had two panels of 400A to pull from...which is why I went ahead and pulled another 100A for my other stall since they were doing the work...just trying to future proof things if an SUV with decent range comes out!

I had just bought our first EV when I began designing our new home in 2015. Thinking we might eventually own two EVs, I specified 400-amp service for the house and two extra 240-volt plugs for the garage. We now have two EVs and will probably go to three when we replace our Honda Odyssey in a couple of years.

I would urge anyone building or renovating a house to assume you'll eventually be charging EVs there, no matter what your current car plans are. If mass manufacturers such as GM, Ford, and the European brands make good on their claims to go all-EV in the coming one to two decades, having such capacity will be a much bigger marketing feature than most people now realize.

There's so much talk right now about roadside charging capability, but the need to prepare for residential charging is actually a much bigger issue for eventual EV acceptance and one getting far too little attention -- especially in urban areas where EVs bring the most benefit.

Every building code in the U.S. should be changed now to mandate capacity for home charging in any new residential construction or renovation, whether single- or multi-family.

...Thinking we might eventually own two EVs, I specified 400-amp service for the house and two extra 240-volt plugs for the garage....
Every building code in the U.S. should be changed now to mandate capacity for home charging in any new residential construction or renovation, whether single- or multi-family.
If this were done at the federal level, there would be quite a bit of pushback from areas of low economic capacity, and from states that strongly resist government mandates. But there has been progress in wealthier localities, and I think something at the state level in California, to mandate EV-ready construction in new single construction. One step at a time as driven by local wealth and forward thinking.

If this were done at the federal level, there would be quite a bit of pushback from areas of low economic capacity, and from states that strongly resist government mandates. But there has been progress in wealthier localities, and I think something at the state level in California, to mandate EV-ready construction in new single construction. One step at a time as driven by local wealth and forward thinking.

Living in Florida where there is pushback on anything the government tries to do these days, I certainly understand the point. And I am not advocating a federal housing code but rather adjustment of local codes. I think a go-slow approach might be necessary in certain areas when dealing with single-family housing. However, home charging presents the biggest challenge to residents of apartments and condos which are usually built by developers. Building codes already impose a staggering number of requirements regarding everything from construction techniques to utility capacities. In Florida local codes get as granular as requiring barbed framing nails spaced no more than 8" apart in hurricane zones. Septic systems must be sized to accommodate the potential number of residents that might eventually occupy the residence (based on the number of bedrooms) as opposed to a lower number that might initially occupy the residence. Plumbing materials are required to address the prospect of future corrosion in order to keep the home marketable.

Using building codes to facilitate vehicle charging demands of future owners breaks no new conceptual ground. Maintaining the future viability and marketability of a locale's housing stock has been a justification for some elements of building codes for a long time.

...Using building codes to facilitate vehicle charging demands of future owners breaks no new conceptual ground. Maintaining the future viability and marketability of a locale's housing stock has been a justification for some elements of building codes for a long time.
Agree 100%, and mis-typed my previous post - in CA at least , there have been changes in state regulations and to local code to mandate EV-readiness in multifamily construction. It's a good start.

Back