Impressions/Observations - Crossbars, Ski/Snowboard Mount, CCCv2, Pirelli PZero AS Plus 3, & Surreal Sound Pro

quantumgt

New Member

Verified Owner
Joined
Jan 4, 2025
Messages
9
Reaction score
16
Cars
2022 Lucid Air GT
Just wanted to share my impressions after my recent service at Tysons, VA. It was made about a month earlier given the lack of urgency. I had used my referral points to get the Crossbars and Ski Rack and was hoping to have them put on before ski season. There were a few places where the trim/seals were breaking down and I had requrested they be replaced as well. I had signed up for the CCCv2 upgrade back when Graeme was still there, but the parts were never available. To my surprise, they were available for my service and Will was kind enough to add it to my list. Huge shoutout to him for all the great communication and help during the process. I was given a brand new Air Pure which was fun to compare with my 2022 Air GT (I purchased it as a demo in November 2024). All the broken down trim pieces and seals were fixed under warranty as well.

Crossbars - Thanks to everyone on the forum, I didn't dare try to install it myself since I have a glass roof. Unfortunately, the glass panel cracked during install at the service center but they replaced the glass and all the associated parts without hesitation. It took a few days for everything to cure, but it made no difference to me since I had a loaner. The Crossbars look great, but they were installed moreso for their function in carrying our skis to the local resorts (mostly Whitetail and Seven Springs). To my surprise, the Crossbars don't seem to create any extra wind noise or cause any appreciable drop in range. I made it a point to listen for noise in the new loaner to compare with my older car after the installation. The range was actually artificially improved since I'm driving with the family on all these road trips where I tend to be... more conservative... in my driving habits.

Ski/Snowboard Mount (Yakima FatCat 6)- They work seamlessly with the Crossbars and are very easy to install. It literally takes a minute to install after you've done it once or twice. They've kept my trunk and pass through spotless since the skis are outside. I opted for this over a low profile Thule Motion 3 simply because it was free to me on the Lucid rewards store. With the ski mounts, my range took almost a 50% hit including the cold temperatures for the days we were skiing. The noise was considerable when the speed approached 70. I was annoyed by this, but my passengers didn't seem to care one bit. I'm not sure they even noticed when the music was playing. I certainly did! Regarding range, it wasn't an issue since the slopes were only about an hour and fifteen minutes away. There was tons of range still left. However, we made one trip out to Rehoboth with the Ski mount and no skis. The range hit was enough on the way there that I took them off the Crossbars and placed them in the trunk to make sure we could make it back without stopping to charge. Again, it was freezing outside, but I figured I would be about 50 miles short if I hadn't made the change on the way back. For Seven Springs, I'll opt to keep the skis in the pass through and trunk just for the range benefits. The trunk is wide enough that only my skis won't fit horizontally in the trunk! My wife's 156cm ski fit but my 179s need the pass through.

CCCv2 - Worth the upgrade, but not as much of an incremental difference as we noted when our '18 Model X was given the new CPU about 3 years into ownership. For the Model X, the nav was having significant buffering and there was an obvious decrease in the snappiness of the screen when going through the different apps. This time, I was simply hoping my door handles would present faster in the Air after the upgrade and they most definitely do. I also don't notice any more delays with the backup camera anymore when reversing in a hurry. CarPlay has worked every time so far, but there was also an update while my car was in service so I can't say for sure how much is software vs. the new hardware. I don't really use DreamDrive Pro much at all so nothing to add from this perspective.

Pirelli AS Plus 3 - My car had about 35k miles on the original set and the fronts were low so I opted for a complete set so I could change to the AS Plus 3s over the OEM Pirelli Zero All Seasons. No regrets at all. The ride is perfect and there's no difference in road noise. I honestly can't tell a difference in handling in the dry. They ended up costing about 30% less than OEMs with much better ratings on TireRack. Unfortunately, Lucid doesn't install outside parts and their cost was considerably higher than TireRack. I had them installed at S2 Dynamics in Rockville. They were a piece of cake to work with as well.

Surreal Sound vs. Pro - My loaner had the base system and my car has the Pro. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but when I changed the loaner audio settings to match my car, there was a significant difference in the Pro. I typically think a fully loaded car is not a great financial decision, but without a doubt the sound upgrade is obvious.

Apologies for the long and disconnected post. Just wanted to contribute to the forum as it's been a great source of information for me and I'm hoping some of this information helps a fellow owner or potential new buyer.
 
Back
Top