hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
I just got an email from Rivian announcing a major price hike. The Launch Edition which I reserved almost three years ago was until recently priced at $72,500, including quad motors and the 135-kWh battery pack. The base price of the vehicle has now increased to $78,000, a new dual-motor version has been introduced with the quad motor that was standard now becoming a $6,000 option, and ditto for the 135-kWh battery pack. My original $72,500 configuration will now cost $90,000.

And still no delivery date for a vehicle that was originally touted for late 2020 delivery.

Are you keeping your reservation or cancelling? I cancelled a month ago for other reasons.

Are you keeping your reservation or cancelling? I cancelled a month ago for other reasons.

Still holding it until I see when/if my recurrent repair sagas with the Lucid DE eventually come to an end.

Yup! The Rivian forum is BLOWING UP!! Many are staying they will cancel their reservations. Rivian should have stepped their price increase based on how long people were waiting. I'm holding my R1S reservation for now. I honestly think that the Air Pure price will rise as it seems too low for what you are getting.

17 pages and growing!!! https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...guration-specs-dual-motor-now-available.3712/

I hate the price increase but I always thought they were under priced for some reason compared to Tesla, Lucid and Porsche. Some people will cancel the reservation but in the long term this will help company financials.

They're running a poll on the Rivian forum. Only 16.9% of reservation holders are saying they will keep their reservation for sure. Undecideds and Cancellations are split evenly at 41.6% each.

I haven't been watching that forum for a while, but in reading some of the discussion on the price increase, it seems that Rivian is having significant fit & finish problems with vehicles that have been delivered.

They're running a poll on the Rivian forum. Only 16.9% of reservation holders are saying they will keep their reservation for sure. Undecideds and Cancellations are split evenly at 41.6% each.

I haven't been watching that forum for a while, but in reading some of the discussion on the price increase, it seems that Rivian is having significant fit & finish problems with vehicles that have been delivered.
I really doubt that many cancellations but if that happens huge loss to Rivian.

Ugh we got the email too. Will need to look at the new price but we will most likely keep the reservation.

The forum is a small, albeit passionate, segment of the entire customer base.

True, just as is the case with this forum. However, given that it is real brand aficionados that tend to join these forums, the fact that over 40% of poll respondents have said they are going to drop their plans to buy a Rivian should be all the more troubling, as should also be the fact that only 17% of reservation holders say they are still committed to the purchase at this price increase.

I’m keeping my RIvian reservation though the price for my configuration went from $76 to $92. I’m fortunate enough not to need the deposit back and will have time to weigh options. The Rivian models are based on 2018 technology, so I‘m certain there will be better, more advanced options by 2023. And who knows? Maybe the Gravity will be the answer.

A big surprise from all this: The $140K Lucid is asking for the AGT is looking more and more reasonable every day.

A big surprise from all this: The $140K Lucid is asking for the AGT is looking more and more reasonable every day.
Yes, for now. Don’t be surprised if Lucid increases prices too. From yesterday’s earnings call when asked about pricing:

“Yes. Like many of the OEMs right now, we are definitely studying price and making sure that the value that we're providing to the customers makes sense in the context of the price that we're charging. And there may be opportunity there, and that's something we're going to continue to study over the future quarters, potentially to offset some of these increases but also it just may make good business then. So more to come on that. We're analyzing it.”

We reserved a Launch Edition R1S not because of the off-road performance, but because we wanted a large electric SUV that wasn't a Model X. Rivian at the time was the only other game in town except for our current Audi E-tron. The Audi is smaller and doesn't offer the range of the Rivian.

However since we put our deposit down, BMW has come out with the iX which is similar in size, range, and has better charging speeds. Not to mention the iX is much more luxurious and probably has a much better ride. So now for the same price of the R1S I can get a nicely equipped iX.

It changes the value proposition of Rivian for sure. I haven't cancelled yet, but if the price increase holds for Launch Edition reservations we will probably cancel and go with the iX or wait a bit longer for another option. Supposedly the new E-tron is coming out, along with Mercedes offering several electric SUV options, and the Polestar 3 / Volvo XC90 electric.

We reserved a Launch Edition R1S not because of the off-road performance, but because we wanted a large electric SUV that wasn't a Model X. Rivian at the time was the only other game in town except for our current Audi E-tron. The Audi is smaller and doesn't offer the range of the Rivian.

However since we put our deposit down, BMW has come out with the iX which is similar in size, range, and has better charging speeds. Not to mention the iX is much more luxurious and probably has a much better ride. So now for the same price of the R1S I can get a nicely equipped iX.

It changes the value proposition of Rivian for sure. I haven't cancelled yet, but if the price increase holds for Launch Edition reservations we will probably cancel and go with the iX or wait a bit longer for another option. Supposedly the new E-tron is coming out, along with Mercedes offering several electric SUV options, and the Polestar 3 / Volvo XC90 electric.
There are going to be many more options from the established automakers as well as more competition to keep prices in check.

Yes, for now. Don’t be surprised if Lucid increases prices too. From yesterday’s earnings call when asked about pricing:

“Yes. Like many of the OEMs right now, we are definitely studying price and making sure that the value that we're providing to the customers makes sense in the context of the price that we're charging. And there may be opportunity there, and that's something we're going to continue to study over the future quarters, potentially to offset some of these increases but also it just may make good business then. So more to come on that. We're analyzing it.”
I honestly expect that the Air Pure price will go up or it will be decontented even more. I'm sure Lucid is studying how the Rivian increases will affect customer retention and decide how much the market can bear.

We reserved a Launch Edition R1S not because of the off-road performance, but because we wanted a large electric SUV that wasn't a Model X.

I reserved the R1S with the expectation of replacing our Honda Odyssey with it. With a wheelbase almost identical to the Odyssey, I assumed the Rivian would offer as much room for 6 adults. However, some of the reviews of the R1T have mentioned that the back seat was surprisingly cramped, although it's supposed to have an identical interior to the R1S for the first two rows (and the R1T is 15" longer overall than the R1S).

Despite having a gas engine upfront, the Odyssey is actually a much more cab-forward layout than the Rivian, and I'm beginning to doubt whether it would be a good replacement for the Honda, which is a surprisingly spry vehicle to drive.

I reserved the R1S with the expectation of replacing our Honda Odyssey with it. With a wheelbase almost identical to the Odyssey, I assumed the Rivian would offer as much room for 6 adults. However, some of the reviews of the R1T have mentioned that the back seat was surprisingly cramped, although it's supposed to have an identical interior to the R1S for the first two rows (and the R1T is 15" longer overall than the R1S).

Despite having a gas engine upfront, the Odyssey is actually a much more cab-forward layout than the Rivian, and I'm beginning to doubt whether it would be a good replacement for the Honda, which is a surprisingly spry vehicle to drive.
I think you will be looking at the Gravity and keeping the Odyssey for a couple more years. I’m looking at that scenario for replacing the Sienna for when we need more passenger space.

I will replace my Odyssey with Gravity in 2025.
Good choice! I think Lucid will do a fantastic job with the Gravity and I plan on plunking down a deposit as soon as the reservations open.

I am in that exact boat, Odyssey will stay for a long time, we will probably just add the Gravity to the family once available. Nothing beats a minivan for moving 3 kids around.
I think you will be looking at the Gravity and keeping the Odyssey for a couple more years. I’m looking at that scenario for replacing the Sienna for when we need more passenger space.

Back