How Will EV’s Be Taxed In The Future?

MPawelek

Cars
None
With their ever expanding popularity the State and Federal government will soon tax EV’s with a road repair tax somewhat like the gasoline tax on ICE. Anyone heard how this will be done? By yearly mileage? Flat yearly fee? Any guesses?

By annual mileage, probably at registration time. I believe Pennsylvania is already proposing such an approach

I don’t think we are there yet. Many countries are still giving tax break on EV owners by exempting tollway, free parking and free road tax. The critical point may be a few years away.

Never underestimate a politicians greed and new ways to tax the public!

It’s called Punitive EV Tax

I’m not sure if the bill is passed or not, I’ll see it in my vehicle registration renewal bill next year.

8BAB05DF-F0C2-419E-8305-1143E98E4A13.jpeg

It's a state-by-state issue. There's a website which has some information for fees and taxes for a number of states, and I think there's another for incentives and rebates tucked away somewhere else on the webpage. I'm not sure how accurate/up-to-date it is... NH hasn't got in the game (yet).

ICE vehicles have also become much more efficient in the last decade. I don't think relying on the gas tax for road maintenance is a long term solution anyway.

Back