Hirings and Development

Paladin732

Cars
Taycan
DE Number
EDIT:
Split from another thread. Context is chatting about the dashcam functionality and hiring challenges.

I’m actually surprised we don’t have one yet. Rivian has one and they should be roughly where Lucid is in terms of OS development

Last edited:
I’m actually surprised we don’t have one yet. Rivian has one and they should be roughly where Lucid is in terms of OS development

Rivian unfortunately likely has better engineers. Based on posts I’ve read, their recruiters are selling on hype alone which Rivian undoubtedly has over Lucid for now. They likely have better project managers and developers which allows them to ship better product faster. From what I’ve read about Lucid, their project management could definitely improve.

The issue with Rivian is that their culture has quickly shifted into Tesla 2.0 since many people jumped ship and came to Rivian. So despite having the edge right now, Lucid could easily take over software superiority if they play their cards right (which I have yet to see based on their OTA ships).

Rivian unfortunately likely has better engineers. Based on posts I’ve read, their recruiters are selling on hype alone which Rivian undoubtedly has over Lucid for now. They likely have better project managers and developers which allows them to ship better product faster. From what I’ve read about Lucid, their project management could definitely improve.

The issue with Rivian is that their culture has quickly shifted into Tesla 2.0 since many people jumped ship and came to Rivian. So despite having the edge right now, Lucid could easily take over software superiority if they play their cards right (which I have yet to see based on their OTA ships).

Lucid is recruiting heavily, and has made a lot of progress with the software recently.

I suspect after the ADAS features are out (the current priority, based on my understanding) you’ll see a lot of updates for the “little things.”

Lucid is recruiting heavily, and has made a lot of progress with the software recently.

I suspect after the ADAS features are out (the current priority, based on my understanding) you’ll see a lot of updates for the “little things.”
They are recruiting like mad. Glad to hear ADAS is a priority.

I Lucid’s priority should be producing and delivering cars. The ADAS can wait. If their hiring, they need to be hiring in the factory and for the paint shop.

I Lucid’s priority should be producing and delivering cars. The ADAS can wait. If their hiring, they need to be hiring in the factory and for the paint shop.
Totally different skillsets and recruitment pipelines. If there is no cash problem, one should not impact the other

I think the problem they are having along with A LOT of other manufacturers is not being able to hire enough people. Also like @Paladin732 said, building cars and building software are 2 completely separate teams. GIVE ME DASHCAM + SENTRY > Highway Assist. But Highway Assist will win out because then all the trolls can't say "But the car can't drive itself so it's inferior"

I think the problem they are having along with A LOT of other manufacturers is not being able to hire enough people. Also like @Paladin732 said, building cars and building software are 2 completely separate teams. GIVE ME DASHCAM + SENTRY > Highway Assist. But Highway Assist will win out because then all the trolls can't say "But the car can't drive itself so it's inferior"
Those are also totally different teams :)

You need people with machine learning skillsets for Highway Assist. You don't need that skillset for Dashcam/Sentry

Those are also totally different teams :)

You need people with machine learning skillsets for Highway Assist. You don't need that skillset for Dashcam/Sentry
Okay so what you are saying is that for OS 2.0 we will have CarPlay, AA, dashcam, Sentry, dog mode, highway assist, Siriusxm app integration, new homelink interface, new guage cluster interface, and instant on from sleep?!?!?!?

It’s all hiring. HR can spend their time on either getting people for software or production. Im just saying they need to focus the energies on production.

It’s all hiring. HR can spend their time on either getting people for software or production. Im just saying they need to focus the energies on production.
I would think they can only hire so much given the new space is still under construction. If you look at LinkedIn, quite a few people are being hired for production of third shift.

I would think they can only hire so much given the new space is still under construction. If you look at LinkedIn, quite a few people are being hired for production of third shift.
Their current facility is only dribbling the cars out at a snails pace. They should be hiring and training so that they can run it 24-7. That would speed up production even at the current speed of the line. I don’t think they are close to being able to run it for even 2 shifts, 7 days a week which only exacerbates the issues getting cars out.

Their current facility is only dribbling the cars out at a snails pace. They should be hiring and training so that they can run it 24-7. That would speed up production even at the current speed of the line. I don’t think they are close to being able to run it for even 2 shifts, 7 days a week which only exacerbates the issues getting cars out.
Isn't that what they've done? They had a third shift hiring event in February and have hired and starting to train several people for it.

Note: These are public posts that I am sharing, I will not screenshot private posts:

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.53.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.54.53 AM.png

Also note that these are likely a result of the Lucid BIW recruitment week back seven months ago. So this is likely the turnaround time between interviews, hiring, and training. Training especially is not something I want them to "speed up" to skimp out on.

Non-BIW but factory related:

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.58.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.59.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.59.32 AM.png

@mnewber1 stop doing your job and keeping things organized! We like to ramble and go off on tangents on every single thread! /s

Sorry, we were getting very off-topic (my fault) in the dash cam thread and I had to split it up somewhere.
I'll edit the leading post to make the context more clear :). Its not a problem.

Just hoping you don't notice the tangent @hydbob and I got off to in the dashcam thread 🙃

Hiring will be perpetual especially for software development. OS dev is even more specific. Considering there have always been a shortage of developers before the pandemic and finding good software developers is even more of a unicorn search it will be a tough search. Hopefully lucid don't end up settling for mediocre PMs and engineers. There are so many incompetent tech workers who have no business in the industry who just wants a tech salary. I have worked with moron PMs who don't know what a project plan is or prepares their plan with outlook or excel and thinks it's perfectly fine for a $10m project.

Here are some concentrations/department for software engineering that are publicly listed:
  • ADAS/AD, Perception & Algorithm
  • Mobile & IoT
  • Vehicle Controls, Motion Planning, & Driver Experience
  • QA, Test & Validation
  • Autonomous Simulation
  • Infotainment
They have about 530 employees publicly listing their employment as Lucid in the Software Engineering field (987 in "Engineering").

Here are some concentrations/department for software engineering that are publicly listed:
  • ADAS/AD, Perception & Algorithm
  • Mobile & IoT
  • Vehicle Controls, Motion Planning, & Driver Experience
  • QA, Test & Validation
  • Autonomous Simulation
  • Infotainment
They have about 530 employees publicly listing their employment as Lucid in the Software Engineering field (987 in "Engineering").
I actually just took a look at this, wondering if someone I know might be interested. Huge number of positions, was my takeaway, but I’m not start up knowledgeable. Still, headwinds being what they are, the number of competitive positions they’re seeking to fill seems a bit daunting. What’s your take?

Back