Highway Assist on Dream Drive Pro 2.0 update - comparison to Tesla's Autopilot ?

Z-Squad

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
DE Number
Any prior Tesla owners had a chance to update to 2.0 and test out Highway Assist? How does it compare to Tesla's Autopilot ? I live in Scottsdale and drive back and forth to Sedona regularly -- autopilot is a must have. Does highway assist have the same functionality and have the kinks been worked out of it ?

Depends on what you are exactly looking for.

Highway assist at this time is just lane centering. It will steer for you on some mild curves but if you are setting it to 80mph there are instances where it will tell you to take over. Sharper curves it cannot handle.

Also, the highway assist is geofenced, so unless someone here has driven your specific route, you can't be 100% sure it will be available to use on all highways.

I think it works in limited circumstances, best to stay in a middle lane if possible and not be speeding. It needs clearly defined lane markings and for lanes to more or less stay a consistent width or you get this weird effect of it drifting to find the center.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! That really was helpful. It seems to be similar to the lane keep assist on my Subaru Forester which deactivates itself at the drop of a hat with no real warning on more significant curves.

That is a huge bummer since I was leaning towards pulling the trigger, but this may be a deal killer. I rely on Autopilot for my 2 hour drives at 80-85 mph on the weekends up to Sedona. 2014 Tesla handles the curves with no issue on autopilot whereas my Subaru does not.

Any prior Tesla owners had a chance to update to 2.0 and test out Highway Assist? How does it compare to Tesla's Autopilot ? I live in Scottsdale and drive back and forth to Sedona regularly -- autopilot is a must have. Does highway assist have the same functionality and have the kinks been worked out of it ?
Highway Assist will work on I-17, including the curves and hills from Black Canyon city to Sunset point. I used it from Phoenix up to the turn off to Jerome last weekend. That said, I turned it off and just used ACC instead because I liked the drive better than Highway Assist. I still think it needs a bit more tuning which I am sure will happen. Highway Assist is geo-fenced so it probably will not work beyond I-17.

Depends on what you are exactly looking for.

Highway assist at this time is just lane centering. It will steer for you on some mild curves but if you are setting it to 80mph there are instances where it will tell you to take over. Sharper curves it cannot handle.

Also, the highway assist is geofenced, so unless someone here has driven your specific route, you can't be 100% sure it will be available to use on all highways.

I think it works in limited circumstances, best to stay in a middle lane if possible and not be speeding. It needs clearly defined lane markings and for lanes to more or less stay a consistent width or you get this weird effect of it drifting to find the center.

Hope this helps.
I agree with @hydbob's eloquent assessment.

I have driven my wife's EQS from Houston to Dallas and back using the Mercedes highway assist and lane change features. They work well at all speeds, I only went up to 80ish, and on most roads.

I also use the highway assist almost every day in my DE and while not as sophisticated as the EQS yet, it's useful and will get better over time.

I agree with @hydbob's eloquent assessment.

I have driven my wife's EQS from Houston to Dallas and back using the Mercedes highway assist and lane change features. They work well at all speeds, I only went up to 80ish, and on most roads.
We haven’t tried this on the EQS since we haven’t had time for a long trip.
Do you just turn on the control on the left side of the steering wheel and then set the speed selector, left of the on-off haptic button?
It’s my wife’s car so I’ve not committed all the controls to memory yet.

We haven’t tried this on the EQS since we haven’t had time for a long trip.
Do you just turn on the control on the left side of the steering wheel and then set the speed selector, left of the on-off haptic button?
It’s my wife’s car so I’ve not committed all the controls to memory yet.
I think that is correct. The touch controls to adjust the speed take some getting used to.

The highway assist is not as good as the Tesla Model X Plaid™ I own.
Highway assist is brand new, I'm sure it will get worked out with time...

The Lucid pulses forward rhythmically when HA is engaged and is not nearly as confidence inspiring in curves or when passing trucks.
The Lucid is good about slowing down when traffic slows in front of you smoothly.

Funny... As I drove toward and past the Lucid factory today, it repeatedly told me HA was not available on the i10.

Not a fan of the geofence. I must be quite alone on that. I'm sure it's just me.

Last edited:
Just made my first road trip from Ft. Myers to Tampa and back using Highway Assist. I have had several Teslas as well. I was very happy with it. I agree that it does not handle big curves well and asks you to take over but these were only curves that were more extreme than the typical driving (construction area and ramp). These were appropriate for me to take over anyway. The ability to change lanes and have it reengage automatically is very nice, much better than my Tesla experience. I don't have experience with this type of autosteer (or whatever you want to call it) in other vehicles, only tesla. All-in-all, I give it an A (A- for my Tesla).

I have been wondering how this works. The geofencing is mapped by Lucid owner’s driving a particular route? Do you know if Lucid then compiles the data and expands the fencing or does this just happen by itself after the route is driven?

I have been wondering how this works. The geofencing is mapped by Lucid owner’s driving a particular route? Do you know if Lucid then compiles the data and expands the fencing or does this just happen by itself after the route is driven?
This doesn't seem logical based on the small number of cars on the road. Houston is very spread out and there are not too many Lucids here. But I am just speculating.

This doesn't seem logical based on the small number of cars on the road. Houston is very spread out and there are not too many Lucids here. But I am just speculating.
Is it possible that all of the pre-production Lucid’s that we saw on the road were mapping?

Is it possible that all of the pre-production Lucid’s that we saw on the road were mapping?
Maybe Lucid ran an algorithm against their maps and selected roads?

Back