• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hi From Boston owner of Lucid Air Touring

Congratulations! How do you like it so far? I'm located in Needham and have 12K on my AGT.
I definitely like the power and design/luxury of the car. However, software side, they have long way to go!! My ford Mustang MachE is having better software features /app capabilities. I am little concerned on range as well. I am finding I am getting less range during winter. They asked me to wait for 2500 miles for battery to better perform.

I definitely like the power and design/luxury of the car. However, software side, they have long way to go!! My ford Mustang MachE is having better software features /app capabilities. I am little concerned on range as well. I am finding I am getting less range during winter. They asked me to wait for 2500 miles for battery to better perform.

Welcome to the group! Expect a 20% to 30% reduction in range during the winter. It’s just the way of it with EV batteries. They don’t fare very well in the cold. A lot of battery energy is consumed by heating it up.

Also, the 2500 mile -thing may just be a Lucid urban myth. I myself never experienced a magical improvement in efficiency once I clipped the 2500 mile mark. But, your result may vary.

FYI... on long drives in cold weather along the Mass Pike, I'm getting 2.9 mk/kWh. In good weather, I'm getting more like 3.5 mi/kWh in normal driving. But I don't care to maximize range when I drive.

I took delivery of my Touring in Natick at the end of December. Just took my first trip from Massachusetts to Maine to do some skiing. Only averaged 3.0 m/kWh. I really don't think Lucid takes into account your average returns (winter penalty) when calculating range. When I charge to 80%, the car says I have like 350 ish miles. In reality I have probably like (88 kw * .8 * 3 miles per Kw) = 211 miles. Instead of giving you a real range estimate you start off thinking you can go 300 miles or so before charging but you can't make it even close to that in the winter. I hope Lucid does something to improve range estimates.

I took delivery of my Touring in Natick at the end of December. Just took my first trip from Massachusetts to Maine to do some skiing. Only averaged 3.0 m/kWh. I really don't think Lucid takes into account your average returns (winter penalty) when calculating range. When I charge to 80%, the car says I have like 350 ish miles. In reality I have probably like (88 kw * .8 * 3 miles per Kw) = 211 miles. Instead of giving you a real range estimate you start off thinking you can go 300 miles or so before charging but you can't make it even close to that in the winter. I hope Lucid does something to improve range estimates.

I totally agree with that assessment. Maybe vote for that software improvement in the MEGA-POLL? By the way, I use ABRP for range calculations, and it's a lot more accurate.

I did not notice any difference in efficiency after 2500 miles. Tire pressure is important so check yours regularly. I have the 19s and even when I set them regularly to 49 psi the cold lowers the pressure and it is less efficient until they warm and get back to 49 psi after driving for a bit. I will say that charging at the EA stations that I have used in MA have worked fine in 20-degree temperatures, albeit not at the optimal charge rate. Think ~40% SOC increase in about a half hour for planning purposes. You may do a bit better but I like to be conservative. I got 3.5 mi/kWh in Oct but only 2.8 as the temperature dropped. I had targeted 3 for rough planning purposes but now use 2.5 to be safe. The driving experience more than makes up for the SW and cold weather range for me.

FYI... on long drives in cold weather along the Mass Pike, I'm getting 2.9 mk/kWh. In good weather, I'm getting more like 3.5 mi/kWh in normal driving. But I don't care to maximize range when I drive.
You raise a good point...If I buy the AIR it won't be for range...I just wouldn't take any EV on a long road trip when my ICE car gets me there in 70% of the time (not to mention gas station frequency/reliability vs EA, etc). But at the same time, I feel like I'm paying a premium for long range that doesn't exist in the real world.

So if I do buy, it will be because of Novelty, Wow design, Best in Class driving characteristics, which I can rationalize...unless the software continues to be the skunk at the garden party. On that subject I follow closely the experiences of the already-owners here, and value their candor

You raise a good point...If I buy the AIR it won't be for range...I just wouldn't take any EV on a long road trip when my ICE car gets me there in 70% of the time (not to mention gas station frequency/reliability vs EA, etc). But at the same time, I feel like I'm paying a premium for long range that doesn't exist in the real world.

So if I do buy, it will be because of Novelty, Wow design, Best in Class driving characteristics, which I can rationalize...unless the software continues to be the skunk at the garden party. On that subject I follow closely the experiences of the already-owners here, and value their candor

A few other factors: First, the car is rock solid stable in winter driving. I did a very unpleasant driving during icy rain and crosswinds on a crowded Mass pike from Springfield to Boston, and the car stayed planted and assured. Nothing bothers it. The adaptive cruise control at a distance setting of 4 worked really well to ensure that there were no sudden accelerations or decelerations. Our Mazda CX-5 in contrast gets really jittery in the same kind of weather conditions. Second, the Lucid is extremely comfortable. As opposed to my ICE cars, I don’t get exhausted from driving it long distances. I think it’s a combination of comfortable ride, low noise, and an airy cabin.

You raise a good point...If I buy the AIR it won't be for range...I just wouldn't take any EV on a long road trip when my ICE car gets me there in 70% of the time (not to mention gas station frequency/reliability vs EA, etc)....
I made a decision to go all-in on EVs. We sold our last gas car a couple years ago. The idea was that we'll get to use much better cars (EVs) for our daily driving, without hassles of maintenance and gas fill-ups of an ICE. The tradeoff is that the occasional road trip takes a bit more work, for those times where we start from home vs. a fly-and-drive. So far it's been great, though I can understand why this approach wouldn't be viable for everyone.

If you have not driven an Air GT you definitely should do so. The SW is much improved since I got my AGT in Oct. Range is objective and depends on the usual variables. The subjective part of range is how one adapts to its reality. It takes getting used to for sure. I do not hesitate to do 250-mile round trips in the cold weather and if charged to 90% at home can do the trip without charging, although I like to get back to my garage with at least 20% SOC so usually do a 20-minute stop at an EA station because I am conservative. That is a stop that I would not do in my former ICE car, so you are right that road trips will be longer with an EV, although not sure that they will be 30% longer.

If you have not driven an Air GT you definitely should do so. The SW is much improved since I got my AGT in Oct. Range is objective and depends on the usual variables. The subjective part of range is how one adapts to its reality. It takes getting used to for sure. I do not hesitate to do 250-mile round trips in the cold weather and if charged to 90% at home can do the trip without charging, although I like to get back to my garage with at least 20% SOC so usually do a 20-minute stop at an EA station because I am conservative. That is a stop that I would not do in my former ICE car, so you are right that road trips will be longer with an EV, although not sure that they will be 30% longer.
I‘ve driven GT twice and T once and both are superb drivers. Btw I found them nearly identical when driven in Sprint

I totally agree with that assessment. Maybe vote for that software improvement in the MEGA-POLL? By the way, I use ABRP for range calculations, and it's a lot more accurate.
Last week, there was no Touring on ABRP....Do you have the hack for us Touring owners? I am making an educated guess and setting the capacity on ABRP to the GT with 75% to get close to my Touring's max capacity. Would love to hear if someone has a better method.

Last week, there was no Touring on ABRP....Do you have the hack for us Touring owners? I am making an educated guess and setting the capacity on ABRP to the GT with 75% to get close to my Touring's max capacity. Would love to hear if someone has a better method.

ABRP support is surprisingly responsive. You might want to ping them to add and update the Lucids. I've written to them about a few errors and got responses and action within a day or two.

Hi All,

Just got delivered Lucid Air Touring and I have put up 1000 miles so far.
Yeah after having the car since April I’m still constantly looking for excuses to drive, you’re gonna rack up the miles! Did you pick it up at the Natick or Boston studio? The Natick manager Steve showed me the list of number of Lucids registered by state as of December, Mass had 114 I think, so you’ve added to that number!

Back