RESOLVED 19” tire raptured after hitting a pothole

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidliu

Verified Owner
Cars
Stellar White Air GT
I’m on the phone with customer service and they don’t seem to have an idea for where they should tow my car to after hours.

I’m going to have them tow it to my home. But since it’s about 1.5 miles away. Can I drive it back given the side wall is raptured?

9115882B-4B96-4AFD-B5A2-65DF8BA833E3.jpeg

I’m on the phone with customer service and they don’t seem to have an idea for where they should tow my car to after hours.

I’m going to have them tow it to my home. But since it’s about 1.5 miles away. Can I drive it back given the side wall is raptured?

View attachment 9612
No, definitely do not drive it. You can destroy your rim and mess up your alignment.

Thanks for the help!! To recap, I contacted Lucid Customer service and towed the Lucid back to my home since it’s after hours. Will need to flatbed to lucid service center next week.

Please feel free to close this thread. Was panicking when it happened, PSI dropped to 0 immediately, there was no PSI warning initially. But after I felt how bumpy the ride was after hitting the pothole. I immediately pulled into a parking lot, then the PSI warning showed up.

Attachments

• 424C17B4-85D9-4039-B090-5B3D28F34543.jpeg
    424C17B4-85D9-4039-B090-5B3D28F34543.jpeg
    849.4 KB · Views: 151
  • D078957B-A55D-49D8-A1EA-BFD1C60510DE.jpeg
    D078957B-A55D-49D8-A1EA-BFD1C60510DE.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 162
FYI - not sure how far away the Lucid Service Center is away from you but Customer Care can provide / contact local tire companies as well.

They did this for me when I was in San Francisco with a bubble in my tire and the Lucid Service Center was closed. Customer Care was very helpful and they seem to have a list of tire companies that stock them also.

You should definitely file a claim with pirellis and they will get you a free tire.

Even the Pirelli 19's can't handle a pothole??? What is up with these Pirelli tires???

Even the Pirelli 19's can't handle a pothole??? What is up with these Pirelli tires???
Nothing. This was a massive pothole, and a tire killer for pretty much any tire. We’ve had massive rains in CA recently which has created very large (and sharp) potholes.

Not limited to Lucid or even tires with low sidewalls.

I never had this problem running 14and 15 inch rims on many of my classics. Of course they would squeal at moderate speeds in corners. Ah progress, two steps forward and one back.

Nothing. This was a massive pothole, and a tire killer for pretty much any tire. We’ve had massive rains in CA recently which has created very large (and sharp) potholes.

That's a particularly nasty one...I can see how that jagged edge sliced the tire right at the rim. You people need bigger / deeper holes with a little water / slush covering them. You fall in until the rocker panels hit then slide like a low-rider until the rear wheel hits and bounces you into the lane over...coffee everywhere. Thing is the holes are large enough so you hit the front edge squarely = this is key. Now is a good time to Visit PA. You guys need to learn about freeze-thaw cycles. Bummer this happened to 19". I guess I will order the 21" wheels now, since it makes no difference.

Thanks for the help!! To recap, I contacted Lucid Customer service and towed the Lucid back to my home since it’s after hours. Will need to flatbed to lucid service center next week.

Please feel free to close this thread. Was panicking when it happened, PSI dropped to 0 immediately, there was no PSI warning initially. But after I felt how bumpy the ride was after hitting the pothole. I immediately pulled into a parking lot, then the PSI warning showed up.
America's Tire is right across the street from the pothole, give them a call they might the tire in stock today.

That's a particularly nasty one...I can see how that jagged edge sliced the tire right at the rim. You people need bigger / deeper holes with a little water / slush covering them. You fall in until the rocker panels hit then slide like a low-rider until the rear wheel hits and bounces you into the lane over...coffee everywhere. Thing is the holes are large enough so you hit the front edge squarely = this is key. Now is a good time to Visit PA. You guys need to learn about freeze-thaw cycles. Bummer this happened to 19". I guess I will order the 21" wheels now, since it makes no difference.
The odds for damage will change Cosmo 🎛️

View attachment 9612
No rapture from a rupture. ;)

Bummer. I had the same thing happen to my 19” tires. Lucid towed it back to my house that night. the next morning I had a second tow to Discount tire and had the tire replaced. Just make sure the tires are in stock before having the car towed there.

You should definitely file a claim with pirellis and they will get you a free tire.
One thing of advise to the OP.
When filling claim with Pirelli, keep the damaged tire so they can inspect it.
I cut my 21" at 199 miles after car's delivery, filled a claim, all went well right after they asked for the original cut tire, which of course, i didn't have.
Well, $400 went to the drain.

There’s a high probability of it not being covered by Pirelli. If so, you can file a claim with Cal Trans. It takes awhile, but worth it in the long run.

Okay. Thanks.

I purchased the additional road hazard Insurance for my 19 inch tires. I see from this forum that we all have SHITT_ roads. In Washington they are terrible. I live off of I-90. I did not know just how big these holes were until either hitting them or passing through a construction zone at crawling speed and seeing how big and deep they are. Where do our taxes for road improvements go?

Last edited:
I purchased the additional road hazard Insurance for my 19 inch tires. I see from this forum that we all have SHITT_ roads. In Washington they are terrible. I live off of I-90 and can tell you you do not know just how big these holes are until you either hit them or pass through a construction zone at crawling speed and see how big and deep they are. Where do our taxes for road improvements go?
Did you purchase the road hazard insurance on your OEM tires delivered with the car? If so, how did you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back